Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

366 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

487 Signins

4698 Page Views

• Views: 4698
  • Message 1 of 3

When to use new screws P50 RAM etc

2021-10-06, 7:51 AM

Hi all. 

So, I read in the Hardware Maintenance Manual (for my Lenovo P50) that because the original screws in these thinkpads are nylon-tipped, they lose their "grabbiness" the first time they are unscrewed. (Incidentally, this is also true of the screws used in modern eyeglasses.  The sealant is exposed by screwing in the screw for the first time, bonds with the metal/plastic/what-have-you, and is solid.  The seal literally is broken in order to unscrew the screw, and after that you are much better off--or perhaps must--use new screws to replace them.)

When you replace FRUs, it is recommended use new nylon-coated screws.
Loose screws can cause a reliability problem. In the ThinkPad notebook computer, this problem is addressed with special nylon-coated screws that have the following characteristics:
They maintain tight connections.
They do not easily come loose, even with shock or vibration.
They are harder to tighten.
Do the following when you service this machine:
Keep the screw kit in your tool bag. For the part number of the screw kit, go to http://www.lenovo.com/ serviceparts-lookup.
It is recommended to use new screws.
It is recommended to use each screw only once.

I am going to be changing out my keyboard bezel/touchpad , as well as changing/upgrading the RAM and adding another NVMe. I have two "Lenovo Thinkpad P50 screw kits '00UR839'" on hand. In a few months, I intend to replace the spinner with another 2.5" drive.

Which of the screws that I encounter in the RAM/keyboard bezel installation do I need to replace? 

Will I move any FRUs--that need new screws--to get at the RAM under the keyboard?  I guess the HMM says the keyboard itself is an FRU, but does it need new screws?  The bottom cover is a FRU, but does it need new screws every time you take it off?  The 2.5" storage drive/NVMes? 

Apparently the NVMe Tray's screw comes in/with the computer and I need to take this out to install the new drive.  If so, do I need to replace it or can I reuse it?

I'm sorry for the questions, but this is the first time I'm taking apart my laptop, and am quite nervous.  I feel under-prepared all of a sudden.

Thank you very much for walking me through this; I greatly appreciate it.

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Options

4702 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12894 Signins

189246 Page Views

• Views: 189246
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:When to use new screws P50 RAM etc

2021-10-06, 11:16 AM

I've read that warning many times. Yet I've used/reused the same screws many times over the past 25 years. I've never replaced nylon tipped screws with new ones. And I've never had any problems with those reused screws coming loose.

ThinkPads are built to Mil-Spec. Using new screws may be a requirement to maintain integrity in very rugged, vibrating environments such as may be encountered on a battlefield or similar environment. But I doubt this is an issue in typical office or consumer use.

My comments are mine. I don't work for or speak for Lenovo.
Please do not send me PMs. Ask your question on this forum so that everyone can respond or learn.

Options

366 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

487 Signins

4698 Page Views

• Views: 4698
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:When to use new screws P50 RAM etc

2021-10-07, 21:47 PM

Thank you very much!!!  I appreciate it!

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)