Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

04-15-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 1 of 12

Will Lenovo get serious about Linux?

2020-04-26, 12:39 PM

Have a P1 G2 with Quadro-2000 w/4K OLED and a number of significant features do not work.  First step was search the software repositories for a Lenovo package that would magically solve all these issues.  No such luck.  I found 0, as in zero, zilch, nada, Lenovo packages.  Hmm...this cannot be a good sign, correct?

I've run Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04.  The unusable features are:

• Screen brightness - does not work (either Discrete or Integrated).  Found a command line utility, but is very very cumbersome to use.
  • Fingerprint reader - does not work and no clue where to start with this one.
  • Backlight on keyboard - the keyboard backlighting does not work.  Found a command line utility that I compiled and use, but I'm a UNIX god and the majority of people are not.
  • GPU Drivers - Very difficult to install Nvidia drivers, the machine simply won't boot with them and discrete graphics enabled.

Maybe Lenovo should post some $$$ as rewards to motivate open source coders to help them solve these issues.  I'm not inclined to help a company with sales revenue of $400B and after I purchased one of their expensive mobile workstations.

Does Lenovo read these forums?

Options

553 Posts

10-03-2011

Canada

2893 Signins

14770 Page Views

• Views: 14770
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:Will Lenovo get serious about Linux?

2020-04-26, 16:12 PM

https://fedoramagazine.org/coming-soon-fedora-on-lenovo-laptops/

Options

11 Posts

04-29-2020

United States of America

14 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 3 of 12

2020-04-29, 18:39 PM

I would really appreciate better support for Lenovo Chromebooks, I think there are some real benefits for users being able to use Linux on their Chromebooks:

• There a huge number of Chromebooks being sold but there are a relatively small number of models of Chromebook meaning any additional compatibility would impact a lot of machines.
  • Chromebooks are bought in large quantities by school and other organisations, (60% of computers purchased by schools in the United States in 2018), being able to install Linux on them would give them extra functionality and also give them a second life to Chromebooks being sold on after the institution has upgraded or support has finished for that model.
  • Chromebooks are relatively cheap, it seems likely that many Chromebooks are being purchased by people who cannot afford more expensive machines.
  • Expands functionality especially for people with limited or intermittent access to internet connections.
  • Allows users to increase their privacy on the devices they have https://appleinsider.com/articles/17...chool-students
  • A large percentage of Chromebooks are being bought for children and it would be an opportunity to expose them to open source.

I'm sure there would be other benefits, please do list others 

Currently there are a few ways to install Ubuntu on a Chromebook:

The main issues for better compatibility appear to be:

• Installing alongside ChromeOS on the same kernel uses 16.04 and also has issues with being unable to access hardware acceleration
  • Dual boot provides access to hardware acceleration but has a lot of compatibility issues, missing drivers etc https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility and is a bit fiddly (you have to press ctrl+l every time you boot up and if you just press enter it wipes your machine).

Thanks

Options

519 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

400 Signins

4316 Page Views

• Views: 4316
  • Message 4 of 12

2020-05-01, 14:31 PM

Hi @redneckbob 

Yes - we read the forums :) Not as much as I'd like but we try. I think I can answer some of your questions

P1G2 OLED brightness - patches are upstream in the kernel but took a while to get there. They are in Ubuntu, Fedora32 and RHEL8.2. I have an exercise to get them backported into Debian but I goofed and am still working on that. 

Fingerprint reader - support has finally (almost) arrived! We're just waiting for the firmware to move from testing to stable which should happen soon. I attached a doc I wrote a while back on getting it working - it's still pretty relevant. If you install Fedora32, RHEL8.2 or (I think - not actually tried it yet) Ubuntu 20.04 you can skip the fprint install stuff. 

Keyboard backlight - this seems to be working for me - FN+space. Let me know what I'm missing.

GPU drivers - Some fixes went upstream fairly recently to make this better - you can install Fedora32 and I think Ubuntu 20.04 with no issues on the P1G2 (and other platforms). For installing proprietary driver I think this has gotten a lot easier recently - check the attached doc on how to do it on Fedora. 

@mrjohnc  - afraid chromebook support isn't on our roadmap yet. I'm hoping our linux portfolio grows but we have to do one step at a time to make sure we don't do a crappy job (though @redneckbob might disagree ;))

Mark

Options

11 Posts

04-29-2020

United States of America

14 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2020-05-03, 13:52 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

@mrjohnc  - afraid chromebook support isn't on our roadmap yet. I'm hoping our linux portfolio grows but we have to do one step at a time to make sure we don't do a crappy job (though @redneckbob might disagree ;))

Mark

Thanks very much for the answer @MarkRHPearson , it would be really great to have Chromebooks supported, I think it could really help in a lot of ways. One other way Lenovo could support Linux on Chromebooks in general is by making a donation to Gallium OS, a Linux distro spefically made for Chromebooks https://galliumos.org/donate

Options

31 Posts

03-03-2020

China

26 Signins

255 Page Views

• Views: 255
  • Message 6 of 12

2020-05-12, 5:27 AM

I have the same doubts.

Lenovo claims support ubuntu,

It does not provide suitable offical support (documents or software).

I started to think that this was a lie of unscrupulous businessmen.

Options

11 Posts

04-29-2020

United States of America

14 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2020-05-17, 9:48 AM

Hi Mark

One thing that would really really help with Linux support of Lenovo laptops in general (and especially Chromebooks) and hopefully would be minimal work for Lenovo would be to add drivers for all models to the Linux kernel. E.g my Yoga Chromebook works amazingly with Fedora except the sound, microphone and touchscreen don't work and there's nothing I can do to fix this because the drivers aren't in the kernel. 

Thanks

Options

519 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

400 Signins

4316 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2020-05-18, 0:21 AM
Hi mrjohnc, Whilst I agree that would be great it's not that easy unfortunately. We'd need support from the HW and BIOS teams which takes time and resources outside of our Linux team and I don't get a say in how that happens. For the ARM based Yoga there is some work done by the folk in Linaro to get a bunch of stuff working. I think there's a bit of information here https://github.com/aarch64-laptops/build/tree/master/misc/lenovo-yoga-c630 I know the community has done some amazing work there (without Lenovo's help) For the platforms we support we are working with the HW vendors to get support upstream into the kernel and that does have a ripple down effect for the platforms that aren't officially supported - a lots of parts are common. But it doesn't cover every case (and really doesn't help with the ARM case yet I'm afraid). Hopefully we can expand our Linux portfolio and solve the problem that way :) Mark
Options

519 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

400 Signins

4316 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2020-05-18, 0:25 AM
Hi @yurenchen We do Ubuntu certification for a number of our platforms - this ensures that Ubuntu works on our platforms to those certifications. There is a bit of a quirk in that fixes go into the OEM image/kernel before they make it into the general Ubuntu image that might be what is causing you a problem. The fixes do make it into the regular image eventually but that can take a little bit of time. This is just the way Canonical do this to ensure they can get fixes for their OEM customers (e.g. us) but reduce the risk for other users. If you have a specific issue please let us know the platform and details. If you are a Ubuntu user I recommend 20.04 - on all the platforms I've tried it on it is working really nicely. Thanks Mark
Options

31 Posts

03-03-2020

China

26 Signins

255 Page Views

• Views: 255
  • Message 10 of 12

2020-05-22, 4:23 AM

@MarkRHPearson

thanks for your reply, I wonder how to get & install the pre-installed/OEM ubuntu image,

which was imentioned @ certificat page https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426

thanks, I will try ubuntu 20.04 sooner.

-----
Some explanation:

I saw many third-party tutorials or experience sharing on online forums.

I realized that it takes a lot of expertise and a lot of practice to configure the modules of the thinkpad + linux system to a better state, and it will take a lot of time unconsciously.

So I would like to know when lenovo official can provide a comprehensive installation guide, or an OEM system image that has been tuned.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms