10-31-2012

L5L6B1

61 Signins

452 Page Views

• Views: 452
  • Message 1 of 13

Windows 8 Issues

2012-10-31, 5:48 AM

So, I have purchased 'Windows 8 Pro' and am working to get it stable on my W520.

Specs:
- Lenovo W520 4270-CTO
- i7 2720qm
- Quadro 2000m
- 16gb G-Skill DDR3
- 120gb Intel 320 SSD

Usage:
- Systems Engineer using various development suites, virtualization technologies (directed i/o is a must), and other processor/ram intensive activities. I am looking to use Hyper-V and do some fairly heavy infrastructure simulations.

- Occasional games (usually DOTA, Skyrim, etc.) which run at high FPS with gfx settings near maxed (Starcraft 2 is an exception, which doesn't work at all...  Stupid Blizzard...)

Windows 8 Issues:
- Cannot boot off install media with VT-d Virtualization Technology enabled. If I re-enable it post-install, sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't.
- Blue screens on sleep resume
- Crashes on various driver installs (random, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't), locks up on boot, then after physical restart, crashes on Automatic Repair before being able to start back up normally.
- After installing Hyper-V, system crashes, crashes on automatic repair, then is AOK...until it randomly crashes

What I've Tried:

- Switching between Integrated/Discrete/Optimus graphics doesn't seem to have made any difference.

- Disabling VT-d seems to have helped with issues booting, but alas, no big fixes

- Updated BIOS to 1.38, and 1.39 - both made no difference, still at 1.39.

- Event log reports kernal power loss and various bugcheck errors but unable to find anything referencing the code provided, nor is there any surefire reported dll or driver which seems to be sticking out.

- I have attempted 3-4 installs from scratch without resolve.

Other then these issues, if its booted and doesn't crash, the o/s is quite peppy (faster then w7 by a fair degree) and the UltraNav touchpad works quite well with navigating Metro and various Charms.

Have a Mini Series 3 dock which works well (although it has its issues i'll post up elsewhere) and switches between docked and normal usage with ease.

I have since reverted back to Windows 7 until I can find something promising to work with as the lack of support resources is understandably limited at this point.

I cannot develop for Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 without upgrading or buying a new system. I've been quite happy with my W520 but this is just frustrating and would rather not move to another mftr if I don't have to.

My question:

>>> Has anyone successfully installed and run Windows 8 Pro without issue?

>>> If so, can you please provide me with what releases/versions of the drivers you are running and what BIOS version you are running.

Any suggestions or sources would be immensely helpful in my quest to get W8 somewhat usable on this beast.

Thanks in advance!

Options

14 Posts

10-31-2012

Netherlands

20 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: Windows 8 Issues

2012-10-31, 8:49 AM

Good topic this one and I was just planning on opening a topic on Windows 8 on my own.

I own a W520 4284-4MG in original condition except for the harddrive which has been replaced by a Plextor M2P SSD.

I'm an architect and mainly use the machine with AutoCAD, Lightroom etc.

Last monday I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro installation to a Windows 8 Pro version (clean install). At first, everything looks alright and the machine is very fast and stable. I installed al the drivers from the driver page (no BETA). They all seem to do their job just fine, however I still miss quite a lot of features in software/hardware:

My Windows 8 Issues:

- I really miss the powermanagement-tool by Lenovo. I also feel that the batterydrain is a lot higher than before! Still figuring out if I can find more on that.

- The WAN card doesn't work. I downloaded BETA drivers but that didn't solve the problem. The SIM-card isn't found and so isn't the WAN function when I switch it on.

- I miss the Lenovo connection center with a cental overview of all the network-devices etc.

- When I switch on the Wireless switch (left side on the laptop) WIFI AND Bluetooth are turned on. Bluetooth cannot be turned off?

- I miss the FN+F.. functions. Some of them work, but the wireless FN+F5 doesn't work, and that is the one I use a lot. I downloaded the Hotkey integration for windows 7 and installed that in compatibility. It work for the FN+F5 function, but it also seems that the system became very unstable with that software installed.

The touchpad works very wel with the latest driver installed. Zoom, scroll in start-screen and other software is no problem at all.

I really hope that Lenovo will develop some (or all!) of the tools that are available for windows 7 on this machine. Hotkey-integration, Power Management, Connection Management are the tools I miss the most. And also I would like to see my WAN-SIM-card be functional again.

Hope the some of the Lenovo folks also check this forum?!

Options

282 Posts

05-04-2012

United Kingdom

241 Signins

1436 Page Views

• Views: 1436
  • Message 3 of 13

2012-10-31, 9:16 AM

Honestly guys you're jumping in the deep end here.

Windows 8 looks complete and utter **bleep** from what I've tested of it in the past and with that aside it's only been released a week and you should expect issues with drivers and availability of them and indeed a somewhat loss of functionality. 

Options

14 Posts

10-31-2012

Netherlands

20 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 4 of 13

2012-10-31, 9:22 AM

It's not that I didn't expect the loss of functionality, but whereas Lenovo already had a lot of the drivers for my model ready I decided to make a jump into the deep (sometimes you have to to explorer new worlds before others do). I use the laptop for architecture (which works fine with the software I need), and I also have to mention that the W520 machine is a companion to my desktop workstation at home, so it is not that I am completely lost if it doesn't function 100%.

So in my case this topic is much more of an exploration of issues and maybe also workarounds or solutions. It is much more as an aid / communication to other W520 / 'beast' users than it is to just solve my own issues (but I would be very glad if they could be resolved with the people reading this topic).

Therefore I would be very interested to know/hear from the people of Lenovo if they plan on developping for this laptop in combination with Windows 8.

Just my $ 0.02

Options

14 Posts

10-31-2012

L5L6B1

61 Signins

452 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2012-10-31, 11:49 AM

Let's try and stay constructive and positive here. Being a negative nancy without providing helping is nothing short of a waste of time.

I did have a small improvement. I have tried converting my install media over to EFI by formatting the USB drive to FAT32 and copying the install media over.

In doing so, I have successfully started install media WITH VT-d enabled after setting BIOS to boot 'UEFI Only'. The boot-time from cold to windows bootloader is hella fast compared to Legacy (previously used as I had used the recovery media previously which doesn't use it).

Setup has just finished without crashing WITH VT-d enabled. Going to go through the driver update bs now. I'll post back later with results.

Options

395 Posts

08-03-2009

UK

1342 Signins

9464 Page Views

• Views: 9464
  • Message 6 of 13

2012-10-31, 12:10 PM

BSOD on resume:

Happened to a W530 with Crucial m4 mSATA SSD. It turned out that it would happen if the drive is password-protected. After removing the password in BIOS Setup, there's no more BSOD on resume.

Options

14 Posts

10-31-2012

L5L6B1

61 Signins

452 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2012-10-31, 17:45 PM

wrote:

BSOD on resume:

Happened to a W530 with Crucial m4 mSATA SSD. It turned out that it would happen if the drive is password-protected. After removing the password in BIOS Setup, there's no more BSOD on resume.

So, thusfar, no BSODs on resume. I still have to install the rest of the drivers but at this point, no BSOD since fresh install early this morning. I only have the single Intel 320 SSD in my SATA bay, no mSata drive as of yet. Additionally, I do not have a HDD password. I use the BIOS password w/ fingerprint authentication though.

Post-install, Windows had installed whatever drivers it felt were necessary. After that finished, I had installed Lenovo System Update and went through its update procedure. I elected to install all but:

- ThinkVantage Active Protection (I have SSD, not necessary)

- Audio Driver for Windows 832/864 (Sound works, reports as High Definition Audio Device - I am investigating option for Dolby driver as I had setup in Windows 7 as per W520 Sound Enhancement thread)

- Ricoh Media Card Reader Device (only used a handful of times in the past, will find some cards to test)

Outstanding issues:

- Device Manager reports two non-install devices (Base System Device and Unknown Device).

- Base System Device hardware ID is: NTPNP_PC <-- I don't know what this is, any ideas?

- Unknown Device hardware ID is: ACPI/LEN   <-- I assume intel chipset since I had already installed Power Management driver via System Update?

- Update other Windows standard drivers to Lenovo Windows 8 releases

- Update NVidia Drivers to latest release/verde (maybe depending on video performance)

- Setup Fingerprint software in Windows 8 to match that of the BIOS as right now, no fingerprint auth in Win8

- Install Development software, Hyper-v once I have everything else settled

- Anything else I'm forgetting?

Without jumping the gun, it seems as installing using UEFI fixed a few critical reliability problems (VT-d, boot, etc.). Try that if you're having severe stability issues.

Options

10 Posts

05-28-2012

Seychelles

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 8 of 13

2012-10-31, 19:38 PM

wrote:

BSOD on resume:

BSOD on resume:

As for the other issues. I've been on Win 8 for the past week almost and haven't experinced any issues.  Grantted I don't think I'm looking at the details that some of you guys are looking for and I'm somewhat thrilled not having the Lenovo added software installed (and haven't tried to install it).  Just wanted to make sure it was known that 8 wasn't a total flop on the w520s.

I'm mainly in photogrpahy post-production (photoshop, LR, adobe master suite) and also basic web development (NetBeans, Visual Studio, Adobe Flex).  I have not had any issues with these.

Abou the UI comments. I think most people disregard it becasue of the new start screen (which really doesn't belong on a non touch screen device).  Once I got over even trying to use it, I only use the desktop environment and use Pokki as my start menu replacment.

Options

14 Posts

11-26-2011

United States of America

285 Signins

1088 Page Views

• Views: 1088
  • Message 9 of 13

2012-11-01, 4:06 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided to install a brand new OS the day of it's release, though I did play around with the pre-release versions in a VM.  I have a W520 4270 w/16GB RAM, 256GB Crucial m4 mSATA SSD and the stock 500 GB HDD.  Rather than a clean install I upgraded right over my Windows 7 installation and it was a very smooth process.  I've ran into a few issues since the install but nothing to impede the productivity in the programs I use everyday.  The biggest issue I've had is with no Lenove bluetooth drivers or Intel WiDi drivers.  I'm counting on Lenovo to get around to updating these, since they have seemed to release new updates every coulple days for the last week.  Another thing I really miss is the Dolby sound upgrade, but I'm sure someone will find a workaround. Today I got my fingerprint login to work again, so that makes it easier to bypass the tile screen and get right to my desktop.  Overall I'm happy with the increase in performance and I'm willing to put up with a few inconveniences to explore the possible benefits a new OS can bring.

Options

14 Posts

10-31-2012

L5L6B1

61 Signins

452 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2012-11-01, 6:58 AM

Developments!

Windows 8 just imploded....

Restarting it every 10-15 minutes of usage just to see if it locked up. Was coming down to the fact it would lock up 1 in 10/15 times without causation.

Rebooted a few dozen more times this evening. Every half dozen, installing a few new things and trying to narrow it down.

At one point, I had decdided to go through lenovo system update again. This time, it installed the Audio Drivers, Power Managment, and I installed Dropbox. At this point, system wouldn't boot.

Hangs on the blue logo. A couple more forced restarts and it attempted Automatic Repair - WHICH ALSO LOCKED UP AT BLUE LOGO. After a couple more attempts, eventually restored me back to fresh install off base windows drivers... *sighs* Removed ALL lenovo software, ALL drivers I had installed, ALL personalization (colors, etc.). Back to post-install new car smell.

Did a bunch more research, enabled Boot Logging, attempted to go through it. I see a bunch of entries labelled BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED. Items related: dxgkrnl.sys, NDProxy.SYS, srv.sys, WdFilter.sys.

Now going through and installing each piece of driver software. Each one rebooting about 6-8 times with browsing, etc. in between trying to simulate usage. So far, go audio driver, ultranav, and lenovo system software update installed (but not run).

Jeeez!!! Any technical help along my journey of debugging and problem identification would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms