Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

10-31-2012

L5L6B1

61 Signins

452 Page Views

• Views: 452
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: Windows 8 Issues

2012-11-01, 7:07 AM

Great.... Just locked up doing Windows Update on 5 updates related to various non-critical Windows functions...

Hard reboot and it starts up AOK like nothing problematic happened.

Can anyone in the house help with some advanced windows boot up debugging? Is there any other tools that can log EXACTLY where it stalls and how? Is there a mode in registry or external toolset that can go from MBR/GBT boot load through the various drivers to the point of failure? Maybe external debug listener?

The only thing I see at the end of the ntbtlog.txt entry for crashed startup from enabling boot logging is:

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\condrv.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\condrv.sys

On the occasions it crashes, it seems to do so RIGHT before it dims and conitnues to boot. When it works, it dims, the loading gui animation spins then loads up AOK.

No BSOD as of yet.

Options

14 Posts

10-31-2012

L5L6B1

61 Signins

452 Page Views

• Views: 452
  • Message 12 of 13

2012-11-01, 22:13 PM

Okay, so after disabling VT-d, system seems to be bootable - problem arising only after power management driver installed... Maybe a conflict between VT-d support and Lenovo's implementation of the acpi driver?

After disabling it, was able to boot consistently without issue. 

Now, since ironing that out, was getting BSOD claiming MEMORY_MANAGMENT and IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL every 20-30 minutes. Forced through Windows Update and Lenovo System Update upgrades and now am totally up to date. No BSOD as of yet but only been up for a few hours.

Will keep posted.

Options

23 Posts

12-17-2007

USA

117 Signins

682 Page Views

• Views: 682
  • Message 13 of 13

2012-12-05, 23:27 PM

I have a W520, with a 128GB mSATA Runcore SSD C: drive for Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, explained here:

http://tinkertry.com/tzilla

And same deal with the BSODs, if disk password protection is turned on, BSOD when resuming from sleep.

Turn off  password, no worries, no problems.

From what I'm seeing in this thread, it seems likely that if I upgrade to a Crucial m4 mSATA 256GB SSD, I'll still probably get BSOD upon resume, if I want to have that BIOS-configured HDD password feature set again.

Anybody find out what is really going on with SSDs and BSODs when resuming, and/or if it's being addressed?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms