Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

07-16-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 3

Windows Update not working

2021-07-16, 1:55 AM

I am unable to download or install any more updates because Windows failed to install update KB4023057. The error code from Windows update is 0x80070002.

I have tried all the usual solutions people online recommend, including running the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Settings > Additional troubleshooters > Windows Update), running sfc /scannow, attempting to download KB4023057 from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4023057 and installing it manually (fails perhaps because the versions on this site don't apply to my build of Windows), and every troubleshooting tip on the Microsoft support site Troubleshoot problems updating Windows (microsoft.com).

Since none of those have worked, I'm turning to you, since Lenovo was the provider of my version of Windows.  Here is what Control Panel says about my version:

Edition:  Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Version:  2004

OS build:   19041.746

Thanks,

Scott

Options

3320 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

16770 Page Views

• Views: 16770
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Windows Update not working

2021-07-17, 1:24 AM

Hello Scott92234,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.
Update us soon as convenient.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2825 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11406 Signins

62131 Page Views

• Views: 62131
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Windows Update not working

2021-07-18, 8:27 AM

@ Scott92234 wrote:

I am unable to download or install any more updates because Windows failed to install update KB4023057. The error code from Windows update is 0x80070002.

I have tried all the usual solutions people online recommend, including running the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Settings > Additional troubleshooters > Windows Update), running sfc /scannow, attempting to download KB4023057 from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4023057 and installing it manually (fails perhaps because the versions on this site don't apply to my build of Windows), and every troubleshooting tip on the Microsoft support site Troubleshoot problems updating Windows (microsoft.com).

Since none of those have worked, I'm turning to you, since Lenovo was the provider of my version of Windows.  Here is what Control Panel says about my version:

Edition:  Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Version:  2004

OS build:   19041.746

Thanks,

Scott

A while back there was a Microsoft-caused "blocker" bug in Windows Update that affected many users worldwide, that prevented normal Windows Update functions from applying normally. It commonly presented systems at 1909 from updating past that, say to 2004 or newer, even though there had been on problem getting up to 1909 from 1903 or older, etc.

This was fixed earlier this year. But since you're still at 2004 you may be seeing the residual effects of this problem. So my recommendation is that you look at my post in this other thread dealing with a similar "Windows Update doesn't work" subject. It describes how to use the "in-place upgrade" method to accomplish a full reinstall of a brand new version of Win10 (i.e. at 21H1 which is the latest version), completely replacing your currently installed 2004 system while retaining all of your currently installed programs, apps, customizations and data. It is simply a brand new Windows that is "slid in" completely replacing your old 2004 system with a brand new 21H1 system, with nothing else touched.

That thread also referred to another post of mine in another thread dealing with a similar issue on the W530, again unable to apply current Windows Updates.

Both of these threads deal with how to use the well documented well-known Microsoft-suggested "in-place upgrade" method, to simply forget about using Windows Update and just do what amounts to a full brand new reinstall of Windows on top of your current system, sliding in that new Windows to totally replace whatever current Windows you have right now (including Win7, Win8.1 or older Win10) with a brand new Win10 latest version with 100% resulting integrity, retaining everything you currently have and just installing a brand new Windows. If you had corruption or functional problems with your current system, they will all be "cleansed out" by the fresh brand new install of a brand new Win10 latest version with 100% integrity. Like magic.

NOTE: You will need about 35GB-50GB of free space on your C-partition in order to accomplish this successfully. The process installs a new Win10 (which itself takes about 35GB) while also backing up your current Windows version just in case you want to or need to revert back to it. All of these requires adequate free space on your C-partition. And as I describe in my posts, when you're finished doing the "in-place upgrade" successfully you should clean things up with "disk cleanup" (be sure to push "delete system files" button) to reclaim all of the unnecessary and obsolete files in order to get back all that free space.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)