Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 8

Windows Update

2021-07-07, 20:41 PM

Haven't been able to update Windows, latest attempt being  Windows 10 20H2 (KB5004945)

It downloads, then gets to "installing 20%" - then hangs.

"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80073701)"

I've read and tried various online solutions to no avail.

Thanks,

Richard

Answer
Options

2825 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11406 Signins

62131 Page Views

• Views: 62131

Re:Windows Update

2021-07-10, 18:08 PM

@ R_Bernstein wrote:

Any downside that I have to watch out for with Windows re-install?  Lose any files, programs, etc.?

-Thanks!

It's a standard MS-supported Windows upgrade method known as "in-place upgrade". Well documented on the internet and by MS.

Please refer to THIS OTHER POST for detailed instructions describing this "in-place upgrade" method for getting a brand new replacement up-to-date Windows system installed into your existing system, replacing only the operating system while retaining all of your currently installed customizations, apps and data.

As was mentioned, it is based on downloading the lastest MS Win10 installer, as if you were going to use it to do a pure clean fresh from-scratch install to a new machine, or simply because you wanted to wipe everything currently on your C-drive and "start over" on your existing machine. But instead of performing a clean from-scratch "reset" brand new install, you just RUN the SETUP.EXE program from the downloaded installer. And you have two choices for how to do that, both of which are offered to you as choices:

(a) create a bootable USB flash drive install media, and then run SETUP.EXE (and the rest of the installation) from the root of that USB flash drive, or

(b) create an ISO file on your internal storage, and then right-click on that ISO file, select Properties and CHANGE change the associated app to "Windows Explorer", and then right-click again on the ISO file and now select MOUNT to have Windows then expand the ISO file onto a virtual drive and then from which you can RUN SETUP.EXE (and the rest of the installer)

Either way the process will offer you the choice of either doing (a) brand new from-scratch fresh "reset" install, or (b) "in-place upgrade" to simply completely replace your existing installed Windows (whatever version it is, including Windows 7/8.1, or earlier Win10) with a brand new latest-and-greatest up-to-date version.

Be prepared for a 1-2 hour process. It also may be unsuccessful the first try, and you need to re-run it a second time when it will now surely succeed. Also, don't forget after you are finished to run "DISK CLEANUP" (from Windows Administrative Tools) to delete all of the old system files that are preserved just in case you wanted to revert back to your old system. This could be 25-35GB of storage that you want to reclaim.

EDIT: note that if the process fails the first time you try it, almost invariably it is because of insufficient available space on your HDD/SSD needed to create all of the backups for your currently installed Windows system that is being replaced in its entirety. Theoretically the new Win10 installer checks to ensure you have sufficient free space on disk before even starting, but in my experience that's mostly an estimate. I generally run "disk cleanup" (being sure to push the button to delete system files and Windows Update backups as well) before even starting with SETUP.EXE, but many times that still doesn't do it. Even though it looks like 30-40GB appears free, it may not be enough.  So if it does fail, before re-running it a second time you should once again do a "disk cleanup". You probably won't have anymore free space the second time than you did the first, but miraculously somehow the second attempt at "in-place upgrade" always has worked for me even when it seemed like it would be nothing more than just a second attempt, no different in environment than the first.  Bottom line: you need a lot of free space because your entire existing Windows system is going to be replaced "on the fly" with a brand new 21H1 version of everything, and that needs 25-35GB for all the new replacement substituted system files but also that much space to "backup" the entire existing Windows files that is getting replaced. I'd say you should ensure 40-60GB of free space on C before you start, to guarantee success.

Replies(7)
Options

3320 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

16770 Page Views

• Views: 16770
  • Message 2 of 8

2021-07-07, 22:51 PM

Hello R_Bernstein,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.
Update us soon as convenient.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

07-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-07-08, 0:54 AM

TYPE 20MB-CT01WW 18/12

S/N 

xxxxx

Moderator comment: Serial number(s) removed to protect member from mischief. Machine is a P72. (NateS)

Options

4280 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9152 Signins

198623 Page Views

• Views: 198623
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-07-08, 5:44 AM

Hello,

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the Windows 10 Media Installation Tool available from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to create a bootable USB flash drive containing Windows 10 21H1, and then running the SETUP.EXE program from it to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10?  If so, what happened when you tried this?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)P51sP72 (20MB-*)P43sS230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)X1e gen3X1 Yoga gen 5X12 gen1X13 gen1Yoga 370

Communities: English Deutsche Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Język Polski Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

1 Posts

07-09-2021

Canada

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 8

2021-07-09, 13:25 PM

I have the exact same problem with my X1 Yoga 3rd Gen that is otherwise up to date with all drivers/updates and hasn't previously had any update issues. 

Options

3 Posts

07-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-07-09, 21:11 PM

Any downside that I have to watch out for with Windows re-install?  Lose any files, programs, etc.?

-Thanks!

Options

4280 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9152 Signins

198623 Page Views

• Views: 198623
  • Message 7 of 8

2021-07-10, 7:46 AM

Hello,

You would want to tell it to keep your applications, settings and data.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)P51sP72 (20MB-*)P43sS230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)X1e gen3X1 Yoga gen 5X12 gen1X13 gen1Yoga 370

Communities: English Deutsche Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Język Polski Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Answer
Options

2825 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11406 Signins

62131 Page Views

• Views: 62131
  • Message 8 of 8

2021-07-10, 18:08 PM

@ R_Bernstein wrote:

-Thanks!

It's a standard MS-supported Windows upgrade method known as "in-place upgrade". Well documented on the internet and by MS.

Please refer to THIS OTHER POST for detailed instructions describing this "in-place upgrade" method for getting a brand new replacement up-to-date Windows system installed into your existing system, replacing only the operating system while retaining all of your currently installed customizations, apps and data.

As was mentioned, it is based on downloading the lastest MS Win10 installer, as if you were going to use it to do a pure clean fresh from-scratch install to a new machine, or simply because you wanted to wipe everything currently on your C-drive and "start over" on your existing machine. But instead of performing a clean from-scratch "reset" brand new install, you just RUN the SETUP.EXE program from the downloaded installer. And you have two choices for how to do that, both of which are offered to you as choices:

(a) create a bootable USB flash drive install media, and then run SETUP.EXE (and the rest of the installation) from the root of that USB flash drive, or

(b) create an ISO file on your internal storage, and then right-click on that ISO file, select Properties and CHANGE change the associated app to "Windows Explorer", and then right-click again on the ISO file and now select MOUNT to have Windows then expand the ISO file onto a virtual drive and then from which you can RUN SETUP.EXE (and the rest of the installer)

Either way the process will offer you the choice of either doing (a) brand new from-scratch fresh "reset" install, or (b) "in-place upgrade" to simply completely replace your existing installed Windows (whatever version it is, including Windows 7/8.1, or earlier Win10) with a brand new latest-and-greatest up-to-date version.

Be prepared for a 1-2 hour process. It also may be unsuccessful the first try, and you need to re-run it a second time when it will now surely succeed. Also, don't forget after you are finished to run "DISK CLEANUP" (from Windows Administrative Tools) to delete all of the old system files that are preserved just in case you wanted to revert back to your old system. This could be 25-35GB of storage that you want to reclaim.

EDIT: note that if the process fails the first time you try it, almost invariably it is because of insufficient available space on your HDD/SSD needed to create all of the backups for your currently installed Windows system that is being replaced in its entirety. Theoretically the new Win10 installer checks to ensure you have sufficient free space on disk before even starting, but in my experience that's mostly an estimate. I generally run "disk cleanup" (being sure to push the button to delete system files and Windows Update backups as well) before even starting with SETUP.EXE, but many times that still doesn't do it. Even though it looks like 30-40GB appears free, it may not be enough.  So if it does fail, before re-running it a second time you should once again do a "disk cleanup". You probably won't have anymore free space the second time than you did the first, but miraculously somehow the second attempt at "in-place upgrade" always has worked for me even when it seemed like it would be nothing more than just a second attempt, no different in environment than the first.  Bottom line: you need a lot of free space because your entire existing Windows system is going to be replaced "on the fly" with a brand new 21H1 version of everything, and that needs 25-35GB for all the new replacement substituted system files but also that much space to "backup" the entire existing Windows files that is getting replaced. I'd say you should ensure 40-60GB of free space on C before you start, to guarantee success.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)