Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

Islamabad, PK

166 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 1 of 2

Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

2009-03-06, 8:52 AM

This is a general Vista problem, and also a general Thinkpad problem, but it does have what I feel to be a high frequency among W500s so I thought to post it here.

Over the past few weeks I've had this error ( Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working ) a number of times. A lot of googleing will tell you that it can be caused by a number of things, eg video codecs, Nero burning software, other video programs and burning software, and the ATI catalyst control center.

For me, uninstalling the ATI catalyst control center and the rest of the video card drivers fixed the error. Reinstalling them brought it back. Uninstalling them and then only reinstalling the driver first, and then catalyst control center later after another restart successfully reinstalled everything and also got rid of the error.

However, two days ago I updated my lenovo power manager and after the next restart, I started getting this error again. I tried the trick with the video drivers, but this time I wasn't as lucky. Uninstalling them completely didn't even get rid of the error. My only guess is that it's the new Power Manager which I just uninstalled and somehow got rid of the error.

I'm about to reinstall the power manager and hope that it doesn't bring the error back.

EDIT:
The error remains after reinstal. Where can I get the old version of power manager? Or is there a certain order that I need to install the PM driver + Power Manager + Switchable graphics to ensure that they all work properly together?
Message Edited by MastahRiz on 03-06-2009 04:48 AM
Rizwan A. Alvi
http://rizwanalvi.com
Answer
Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

Islamabad, PK

166 Signins

752 Page Views

Re: Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

2009-03-10, 8:56 AM
Another thing I've found which can cause this error:

I had just done a fresh install of vista as well as the lenovo apps + power manager and everything was working fine. Since I never use the optical drive, I went to Device manager and disabled it, which gave me the Rundll32.exe error about 60 seconds later, and this again caused power manager to stop working, even after reboots.

I finally figured out that disabling my Optical drive somehow springs this error on me which then also shuts down power manager. Re-enabling the optical drive got rid of the error immediately.
Rizwan A. Alvi

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

Islamabad, PK

166 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working

2009-03-10, 8:56 AM
Another thing I've found which can cause this error:

I had just done a fresh install of vista as well as the lenovo apps + power manager and everything was working fine. Since I never use the optical drive, I went to Device manager and disabled it, which gave me the Rundll32.exe error about 60 seconds later, and this again caused power manager to stop working, even after reboots.

I finally figured out that disabling my Optical drive somehow springs this error on me which then also shuts down power manager. Re-enabling the optical drive got rid of the error immediately.
Rizwan A. Alvi

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms