Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

02-04-2010

Calgary, Canada

4 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 6

howto confirm or force bios update

2010-02-04, 8:02 AM

I did a bios update on my W500 4058-CTO system, but it shut itself down half way through the "writing block x of y" count down.  Was only on about 35 of 65 and suddenly the bios window closed and the system start shutting down.  It took a /long/ time (~10 minutes) to complete the Windows shutdown, but eventually did. 

The system seems to be ok - it rebooted, got to the bios screen a couple times and rebooted each time, then started back up into Windows.  Is this normal behaviour?  Is there some method to check that the entire bios is actually correct or maybe force the update again? 

I have the .iso and .exe files for the bios update, but when I run the .exe, I receive a message that the bios is alread up to date - does that check actually look at the entire bios to see if it's correct, or does it just look at the version number...  I haven't tried running the .iso update - kind of hoping for some feedback before I do that. 

Anyway - all input and thoughts are welcome. 

Answer
Options

132 Posts

11-29-2007

RTP, NC

141 Signins

1978 Page Views

• Views: 1978

Re: howto confirm or force bios update

2010-02-04, 23:01 PM

I agree with Moskito.

If it will help you sleep better at night, back-flash the BIOS to the previous version....and then up-flash it again.  But I highly recommend doing it through the ISO version....take the OS completely out of the equation.

Regards

Replies(5)
Options

132 Posts

11-29-2007

RTP, NC

141 Signins

1978 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2010-02-04, 12:44 PM

Two ways to confirm BIOS level on your system:

1)  Reboot your system....at the ThinkPad splash screen, hit F1 to get to BIOS.  The current version will be shown on the main page.

2)  In Windows, run "msinfo32.exe" from the Run window....this brings up the System Information window where you can see the current BIOS version.

Regards

Options

4 Posts

02-04-2010

Calgary, Canada

4 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2010-02-04, 18:41 PM

Thank you for the quick responce. 

This only confirms the bios revision number, it does not confirm that all of the bios data is accurate and has been written properly.  This is the equivalent of looking at a file and saying "yup, this is the file I want", without doing an MD5SUM or SHA#SUM on the file contents.

I would like to confirm the bios contents to ensure they were written properly - not just the number - the number is up to date already. 

The other option if there is no way to confirm the contents is to force an overwrite of the bios.  Currently, the bios installer application does not allow that - it checks the bios revision number and errors out stating that the bios is already up to date.  When I run the updater from the commandline, there appear to be no switches available, let alone one to force the install. 

Options

64 Posts

05-16-2008

Switzerland

96 Signins

1275 Page Views

• Views: 1275
  • Message 4 of 6

2010-02-04, 22:49 PM

The program for flashing the bios itself does a check every time it has written part of the bios, if that particular part has been written correctly. So if the bios update runs through without an error everything should be correct.

If you want to force a bios "upgrade" then you can achieve this by applying an earlier version of the bios update and then again the one you finally want.

You find earlier bios usually linked all down on the webpage of the up-to-date bios update.

However, you should know that bios upgrades/downgrades are still risky. Especially when doing them under windows, where other device drivers or programs may interfer with them. So you really want to do as few as possible.

Regards, Moskito

Answer
Options

132 Posts

11-29-2007

RTP, NC

141 Signins

1978 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2010-02-04, 23:01 PM

I agree with Moskito.

If it will help you sleep better at night, back-flash the BIOS to the previous version....and then up-flash it again.  But I highly recommend doing it through the ISO version....take the OS completely out of the equation.

Regards

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

02-04-2010

Calgary, Canada

4 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2010-02-04, 23:16 PM

Thanks, this is what I was looking for - back-flash, then update again.  As IcePick says though, do it with the ISOs.  Will do. 

Yes, btw, it would help me sleep better at night - this machine is my bread and butter.  Considering that the bios update may have been interrupted by the Windows reboot, and there's no way for me to tell other than reinstall the bios, I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms