Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

07-09-2021

Canada

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

internal speaker doesn't work; headset works fine

2021-07-09, 14:15 PM

I have a new ThinkPad, and I can't get any sound out of the speakers.  I have audio from the headset just fine, but when I unplug them, I expect to hear through my speakers and I hear nothing.  I have Googled things that could be wrong and feel like I've tried everything that has been suggested, to no avail.  Has anyone heard of this?

Options

4144 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5885 Signins

69356 Page Views

• Views: 69356
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:internal speaker doesn't work; headset works fine

2021-07-09, 16:07 PM

Welcome to the Community

It might help to know which Thinkpad you have - model and type - don't post the serial number. Also which operating system and version you're on. For example, "Windows 10 Pro Ver 20H1."

Also, if you could list all the things you've attempted so others aren't wasting your time suggesting things you've already tried.

Thanks

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

2810 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11389 Signins

61996 Page Views

• Views: 61996
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:internal speaker doesn't work; headset works fine

2021-07-11, 21:25 PM

Seems you've probably tried all of this, but as was mentioned it would help if you could say what model Thinkpad you've got, and what version/release of Windows.

Do you have any other external devices connected and if so what are they?  Docking station?  Mini-hub via USB-C dongle?  Anything else we should know?

Is this a brand new laptop? Did you buy it "new" from Lenovo or a retail source?  Or did you buy it "used" from someone else or online  somewhere? If you bought it "new" it should be under warranty, and you can always ask for a replacement because you believe it is defective. Depending on your warranty service level, Lenovo could do it "next business day", or come out to your house, or however, but it would still be no-charge warranty work. That's worst case.

Have the laptop's speakers ever worked?  Or never?

Do you have an external monitor connected via HDMI cable? Does the monitor have speakers in it?  Do you have the Windows "sounds" -> Playback devices set to use the monitor's speakers as "default" playback device, and perhaps have not turned up the volume on the monitor?  Maybe you have the monitor's speakers set to "mute"?

Or are the laptop's built-in Realtek Audio speakers specified as "default"? When you are in "sounds" -> Playback, the laptop's Realtek speakers are shown with the green "default" check?  If you then push the "configure" button and then you push the TEST button, you hear nothing?  If you push the "Properties" button -> Level tab, the value is probably between 65 - 75?  It's not 0, is it? What shows on the Properties -> "Advanced" tab?

Have you installed Dolby Atmos or Dolby Headphone any other sound-related software offering?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms