Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

288 Posts

04-20-2010

Ottawa

2936 Signins

4886 Page Views

• Views: 4886
  • Message 21 of 23

Re: periodic freezes

2010-10-28, 14:28 PM

I have never had a problem updating the bios. The system does not freeze since my 3rd system board.

"still running fine" is a subjective call -- there are many major annoyances with this laptop that I seriously hope lenovo will eventually fix including:

1) Can't boot with external devices attached via USB
2) The video quality and system performance via the port replicator is abhorrent.
3) The video drivers are a full year behind the divers available from nVidia's own website, with multiple cross site warnings that you should only use the lenovo drivers.
4) Excessive heat problems during intensive apps, although the system doesn't freeze/crash, it runs about 90 degrees, which is not good for logevity.
5) The keyboard occasionally shifts out of place.
6) I've had to completely disable the track pad due to phantom touches
7) I have a dead pixel that's driving me nuts :(
8) Running the laptop on anything other than a 135w power supply causes a number of odd behaviors (too many to mention), so basically this system is 135w only.
9) To prevent whining noise from CPU, I've had to disable a number of battery longevity features in the BIOS, so I get <2h out of a fully charged 9cell battery.

Other than that, the system is "still running fine".

Options

1 Posts

11-07-2010

Vancouver Canada

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 22 of 23

2010-11-07, 21:29 PM

I too have a 4318-CTO model (Windows 7 Pro 32bit, Intel i7 CPU, Q720 @1.60 GHz; 4 GB RAM).

For some time now (couple of months) I have been having periodic unrecoverable 'freezes' or lockups during inactivity. We go away and leave the laptop running (on AC power) and later when we come back the screen saver is frozen and nothing I do can will restart it (it doesn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del, Enter key, Esc key, mouse clicks, anything); my only 'recovery' is to power down and restart, where it tells me that Windows terminated abnormally and do I want to start in Safe Mode.  When leave the system, we may have IE running (may not), but we are running Skype (so the kids can call us).

I have double checked the power management settings as best I can and I don't believe anything is configured to 'shut down' at all.

I have been through ThinkVantage diagnostics - nothing.

I finally called Support about two weeks ago: they had me run diagnostics (clean) and then suggested I re-install <groan>.

So the past two weeks I have been doing some research on the web and found there may be an issue with the Intel WiFi driver (Netw5s32) - so last night I updated that from the Lenovo site with the latest there.  Left the machine on last night and this morning I found it frozen again. <sigh>

Most of the other posts I have found talk about freezing or hanging during activity - rather than during inactivity (which I have).  Does this sound like software to anyone, or is a faulty motherboard more likely?

Thanks in advance.

Options

23 Posts

06-24-2010

Taiwan

2915 Signins

2772 Page Views

• Views: 2772
  • Message 23 of 23

2010-11-08, 5:09 AM

wrote:
Most of the other posts I have found talk about freezing or hanging during activity - rather than during inactivity (which I have).  Does this sound like software to anyone, or is a faulty motherboard more likely?

In my case, it's not always freezing during activity.... I also got freezed during inactivity.

I think the random freeze issue is a bad motherboard.... because after I change the motherboard, I never get any freezed now (over 3 months).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms