Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

03-25-2009

Canada

11 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 1 of 15

running into I/O device errors when copying files from data DVDs - need troubleshooting help

2009-03-25, 4:51 AM

Hello,

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with troubleshooting here. I maintain a single laptop for my business, and it died last week. I bought a new Lenovo W500 and I've been running into problems copying my data files from DVDs onto the new hard drive. Quite a few files will get copied, then it will get stuck on a file (typically a larger file, e.g. 84 MB) and I'll get this error message:

An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you can get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I have experienced this when trying to copy from other DVDs containing data from my old laptop - it's not just one bad DVD. I've pasted some system info below.

I'm getting stressed because I haven't had access to a functioning computer with my files for well over a week now. I am pretty disappointed to be running into these problems -- I kinda splurged on this laptop, hoping for greater reliability/speed.

From things I've read I'm wondering if it's a Vista problem? Unfortunately, I am a newbie to Vista, and I'm not very tech savvy to begin with. I am trying to figure out how to proceed with troubleshooting because I'm not even clear on whether it's a hardware or software problem.

I would be most grateful for any help or guidance that you could offer :smileyhappy:

Operating System   System Model Windows Vista Business Service Pack 1 (build 6001)  

LENOVO 406333U ThinkPad W500
System Serial Number:

Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor a   Main Circuit Board b 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: LENOVO 406333U
Serial Number:

Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: LENOVO 6FET56WW (2.02 ) 01/09/2009

Drives   Memory Modules c,d 160.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
119.56 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
MAT**bleep**A DVD-RAM UJ862A [CD-ROM drive]
HITACHI HTS722016K9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0
  2520 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM 1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' has 2048 MB

Local Drive Volumes         c: (NTFS on drive 0) 147.98 GB 114.98 GB free q: (NTFS on drive 0) 10.49 GB 3.85 GB free s: (NTFS on drive 0) 1.57 GB 741 MB free
 Marks a disabled account;    Marks a locked account              

Controllers   Display ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
  ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 [Display adapter]
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]
ThinkPad Display 1680x1050 [Monitor] (15.4"vis)

Options

524 Posts

02-17-2009

Vancouver Island

856 Signins

6208 Page Views

• Views: 6208
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: running into I/O device errors when copying files from data DVDs - need troubleshooting help

2009-03-25, 9:12 AM

Mamain:

Have you tried using the Lenovo System Update application (came preloaded on your computer) to see if there are any driver updates from Lenovo that woudl be applicable to your computer?

Also, (forgive me if this sounds condescending, it is not meant to be), have you tried using the Windows Update feature to see if there are any software updates from Microsoft that might solve the problem?

Lastly, there is one DVD firmware update on the Lenovo website that applies to W500 laptops.  It is quite old and I don't think it applies to the optical device you are using, but, it can't hurt to check.  The link to that update utility is here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70448.html.  I note from your report below that you have a "MAT**bleep**A" optical device - either there is a new company making optical devices for Lenovo, or, the profanity checker here in the forum is getting a little hyperactive. :smileyvery-happy:

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Options

524 Posts

02-17-2009

Vancouver Island

856 Signins

6208 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

Re: running into I/O device errors when copying files from data DVDs - need troubleshooting help

2009-03-25, 9:18 AM

Better even still, I found what might be a fix for you.  Seems it is a known Vista bug, although the reports of this deal with the problem taking place when backups are made.  See this post on the Microsoft TechNet forum:

0x8007045D Error

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Options

10 Posts

03-25-2009

Canada

11 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2009-03-25, 15:34 PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for your help!

When I got my laptop, I did the Windows updates. Then after talking to Lenovo customer support last night, I did the Thinkvantage "critical updates", but neither of those solved the problem.

I looked at the thread that you linked to below. I tried the "Restore" workaround but it didn't work for me. I didn't see any other fixes in that thread that I understood enough to try.

Hey, don't make fun of my "MAT*bleep*A" optical device...I paid extra for that :smileywink:

Still looking for some help here as Lenovo customer support seems baffled and has me at "level 2".

Message Edited by mamaincognito on 03-25-2009 08:35 AM
Options

10 Posts

03-25-2009

Canada

11 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2009-03-25, 15:48 PM
Oh, and the firmware utility doesn't find any upgrades for my "special" DVD drive.
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22166 Signins

317350 Page Views

• Views: 317350
  • Message 6 of 15

2009-03-25, 19:09 PM

Hello mamaeincognito,

please try this procedure, mentioned in this link.

Hope it helps!

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

10 Posts

03-25-2009

Canada

11 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2009-03-25, 20:31 PM

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your help! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I did try the "Restore" workaround, with no success. That's the same workaround suggested in your link. Perhaps it's a different issue as that workaround seems to work with problems writing to a DVD, whereas I am trying to write to my hard drive from a DVD?

Any other thoughts?

Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22166 Signins

317350 Page Views

• Views: 317350
  • Message 8 of 15

2009-03-25, 20:38 PM

Hello mamaincogito,

I would suggest to check with Lenovo System Tool Box, if the drive is faulty.

Also a test with a Knoppix live cd, would clarify if it´s a hardware or software failure.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

10 Posts

03-25-2009

Canada

11 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2009-03-25, 21:42 PM

Hello,

Lenovo tech support is saying that there is a known problem with transferring large numbers of XP files to a Vista system, which is why they recommend the Windows Easy Transfer system. Of course, I can't do that since I no longer have a functioning XP system. I could get the files transferred from my old hard drive to this new laptop at a computer repair store, but I am reluctant to give up my computer for the days that that would likely take -- my system has been down for so long that I'm in catch-up mode with a lot of tasks.

Andreas, I wasn't able to find the Lenovo System Tool Box that you are suggesting. I did try the pre-installed PC-Doctor 5 to test the DVD drive and it passed the linear seek, random seek, funnel seek and linear read compare tests. Not sure if those tests are what you're suggesting. I will look into the Knoppix live cd option...

Options

524 Posts

02-17-2009

Vancouver Island

856 Signins

6208 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2009-03-25, 23:51 PM

Hi Again Mamain:

Now that it appears that your problem is something that arises from the operating system (the Microsoft stuff), rather than being a flaw with the Lenovo supplied optical device, it might be more expedient to try and find a solution that gets you back in action from a "workaround" perspective rather than a "military-spec root cause solution" perspective.

Here are a couple of ideas that I would pursue if I was in the spot that you are in right now.

1) Go to a Future Shop or similar and buy a USB external hard drive.  FYI I bought one on sale last week, one terabyte, for about CAD $130.  You will be able to use this thing in the future as an external backup device, so don't think that the $130 is a waste.

Now find someone who has a computer (any computer) running XP.  Take your optical discs and your new USB hard drive to that XP computer, and copy the contents of the optical discs to folders on the USB drive.  Now, take the USB drive home and plug it into your computer, see if you can retrieve all the files from the USB drive without encountering the headaches you have had trying to retrieve the same files from the optical drive.

If that works, your problem is solved and you now have an external USB drive that you can use to automatically back up your computer every night while you are sleeping.  Be aware that data transfers rather slowly by USB, so, it's not really practical to use a USB drive as a dedicated second hard drive for daily work. 

2) Buy a Lenovo USB 2.0 Portable 160GB Hard Drive.  When it arrives, open it up (it is held together with four small screws), take the hard drive out of it, stuff your old XP hard drive into it, then connect the device to your computer via USB.  Now, you can fetch the files you want from your old XP drive.

Option 1 offers better value for the future, but requires a bit of running around to find an XP machine and do the transfer.  Option 2 is faster and easier, but once everything is all done, you don't have much value leftover.  The Lenovo Portable drive lists for $119 and holds 160 gigs, the Future Shop Iomega drive sells for about $15 more and holds an entire terabyte.  You can't swap your existing drive in and out of the Iomega drive, though, because the Iomega drive uses a larger (desktop size) hard drive inside it, not a little notebook size hard drive.

On the off chance that you might be on Vancouver Island (your profile says Canada) - let me know, I will loan you my Lenovo USB drive (option 2) to do the job.

Michael

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms