Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

366 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

487 Signins

4698 Page Views

• Views: 4698
  • Message 1 of 3

trackpad failure during upgrade & maintenance! Please advise! (P50)

2021-10-14, 3:45 AM

Hi,
So, I had a cracked/broken keyboard bezel/palmrest, and the lower middle mouse button had failed.  I purchased a new palmrest/bezel with trackpad to replace it.

During installation, I could not get the cable (Picture 1 below) into the clip on the underside of the trackpad no matter what/how hard I tried.  Eventually the clip's holder/jack broke. (Picture 2)  I then had the dumb idea to remove the clip from the old trackpad and try to install it onto the new trackpad, and the old bezel's jack also broke. During this process, the cable frayed (the little blue plastic stuff next to the contacts peeled up/off) and generally refused to go in.

Eventually, we tried gluing it down, and we got all of the pins aligned.  The problem was that we mixed up the contacts with the springs, so that we glued it upside-down and to the contacts. (See pic 2 again).  When I tried to boot, the machine went

BEEEP       BEEP BEEP BEEP      BEEP BEEP BEEP       BEEEEEP

and refused to start. Dr Google pulled up a result which indicated it could be a trackpad issue.  I removed the cable from the contacts, turned it right-side up, and now the computer boots.

However, it now shows "PS/2 MOUSE NOT CONNECTED" during POST/before reaching the boot menu.  Neither the trackpad, trackpoint (what I call "the eraser mouse"), mouse buttons on the keyboard, nor mouse buttons on the trackpad work. The Device Manager shows

Synaptics Pointing device: This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

Windows' mouse settings do not show the Ultranav/Synaptics settings screen at all.

I have uninstalled and deleted the synaptics/ultranav drivers, rebooted, let windows reinstall the drivers, rebooted, updated, and rebooted again.  Nothing.

I have ordered a new (generic) and used (thinkpad) touchpad cable(s), as well as a new keyboard bezel with touchpad.

Someone said their mouse stopped working when the center keyboard screw was over-tightened.  I need to try that, and also verify that the trackpoint cable is installed properly.

My questions include:
1) Does it make sense that with the trackpad broken/malfunctioning due to the glue on the contacts, the keyboard's buttons would not work?

2) Why, when the trackpad cable was upside-down on the trackpad (right-side up on the motherboard) would the computer not start, but now that the cable is right-side up it refuses to recognize either built-in mouse?

3) Would disconnecting the trackpad enable the trackpoint & keyboard mouse buttons to work?

4) Ought the new bezel and cable to fix the problem, or do I now need a new keyboard and / or keyboard cable?

5) Is there anything else I need to be aware of before trying to replace this current bezel with the newest one?

I did watch the official (training?) videos on how to disassemble and reassemble a P50.

Picture 1--Red is the trackpoint/keyboard mouse buttons cable jack, blue is the trackpad jack, and yellow is the cable to the trackpad that I later glued:

The cable/jacks in the P50

Pic 2--the jack on the underside of the trackpad/keyboard bezel/palmrest that leads off to the motherboard:

Pic 1

Pic 3 The clip (from that jack in picture 2) next to the cable:

The clip

Thank you all very much!  I really appreciate your help!

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Options

3722 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

288 Signins

18650 Page Views

• Views: 18650
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:trackpad failure during upgrade & maintenance! Please advise! (P50)

2021-10-14, 20:09 PM

Hello microfishd1,

Greetings

I'm sorry to read that you're having difficulties replacing the palm rest/bezel.
Kindly check this ThinkPad P50 hardware maintenance manual for instructions.
You may also view the removal and replacement videos.
Hope this helps.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

366 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

487 Signins

4698 Page Views

• Views: 4698
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:trackpad failure during upgrade & maintenance! Please advise! (P50)

2021-10-14, 22:08 PM
I was following the manual and video as best I could (I thought) when I ran into the issues. Now i'm trying to find out if the results/side effects are "normal" or not, how to fix them, and what I should expect going forward.
-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)