Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

65 Posts

03-13-2009

San Francisco, CA, USA

51 Signins

486 Page Views

• Views: 486
  • Message 1 of 3

undeletable repeaded profiles in power manager

2009-03-13, 5:39 AM

My power manager is filled with 3 and 4 copies of each of the default profiles. How can I delete them?

They seem to have come from repeated installation and de-installation of the power-manager as I was having trouble with it initially. Apparently the de-installation didn't clean them up. I have found them in the registry under: 

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes 

There are clearly several duplicate entries for each of (Timers off, Maximum Performance,  Power Source Optimzed, etc.)

When I right-click on the battery meter, it shows me a huge menu with lots of duplicates.

Any idea how I can fix this? 

Options

921 Posts

11-26-2008

Norway

8089 Signins

59129 Page Views

• Views: 59129
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: undeletable repeaded profiles in power manager

2009-03-13, 10:13 AM

You don't have to worry about ControlSet001, but take a look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes".

I never had this problem so never had to do a cleanup of the power schemes, but you could make an export of that part of the registry then try to delete them directly from the registry. If there should be any problems just doubleclick the exportert file to import the settings again. You might have to restart the power manager to see the changes done directly by using regedit.

Options

65 Posts

03-13-2009

San Francisco, CA, USA

51 Signins

486 Page Views

• Views: 486
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: undeletable repeaded profiles in power manager

2009-03-13, 17:41 PM

I was able to delete the spurious power schemes by using the default Vista power manager instead of the Lenovo one. It was slightly unintuitive, because the default power manager hides these 'added schemes' underneath a click-expand which is non-standard, so it took me a while to realize they were even visible in the standard power manager. Once I expanded to show the "additional power schemes" it was easy to delete all the extras. After deleting all of the ones lenovo added, when I opened the lenovo power manager it readded a single-copy of the ones it wants to be there and I was back to normal.

I do wish that Lenovo would stop adding it's own power schemes, and I wish it would show and use the standard three power schemes that windows supplies so I didn't feel like there were two power scheme worlds.

I also wish that Lenovo still had their 'system update tool' which would automatically install all the lenovo stuff propertly. I had to do a clean install to get Vista Ultimate 64 on my machine, and without the system updater, it was a chore to get everything installed and setup properly.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms