Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

05-13-2009

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

24 Signins

277 Page Views

• Views: 277
  • Message 11 of 23

Re: w500, advanced mini dock and DVI ...

2009-05-13, 21:20 PM

@Andy,

Did not mean you (or others on this forum)... Have registered a case and escalated with Lenovo support line, no response from them.

Your suggestions were/are appreciated as are any others.

Options

9 Posts

05-13-2009

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

24 Signins

277 Page Views

• Message 12 of 23

2009-05-14, 0:11 AM

@All,

Went and purchased a Display Port to DVI adapter and tried to connect to the desktop flat panel via the port on the side of the notebook (both docked and undocked). System does not recognize the display is there. 

Options

7 Posts

05-13-2009

New York City

14 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 13 of 23

2009-05-14, 10:46 AM
@bob ... RATS!  I was heading down that same path ...
Options

33 Posts

01-26-2009

Seattle, WA

34 Signins

523 Page Views

• Views: 523
  • Message 14 of 23

2009-05-21, 8:05 AM

I wonder if my issue is related.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=W_ThinkPads&thread.id=3882

Options

9 Posts

05-13-2009

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

24 Signins

277 Page Views

• Message 15 of 23

2009-05-21, 16:22 PM

@itctech,

The part about the buggy video card is certainly correct :smileywink:

My display does not support Display Port (Benq FP241W) but I did try something similar (e.g. connecting DVI from dock and VGA, Display Port converter to DVI and VGA). No luck on getting the display to work on digital signal.

Lenovo did dispatch a technician to have a look on Tuesday. His thoughts were that the video card was not putting out any digital signal whatsoever. Solution was to replace the mainboard. After a couple of hours of screwing around we found out the replacement board he brought along with him was defective (you know those ones in the IBM box with the big yellow sticker that says "servicable used part", err, not so much).

Anyway, it seems replacement parts of these mainboards must be in pretty high demand as there wasn't another one in the entire country! Waiting on a stock request from the US.

Will advise if/when it shows up.

Options

33 Posts

01-26-2009

Seattle, WA

34 Signins

523 Page Views

• Views: 523
  • Message 16 of 23

2009-05-21, 16:34 PM

Well in my case I can always get a signal from the DisplayPort if I choose a resolution that is less than 1366x768.

Any higher resolution either causes a corrupt display or no display.

Have you tried lowering the resolution?

I was able to replicate the problem with three w500 laptops.

Maybe they are all defective by design? :smileymad:

Options

9 Posts

05-13-2009

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

24 Signins

277 Page Views

• Message 17 of 23

2009-05-21, 18:09 PM

@itctech,

I thought I had tried lower resolutions before but had to check again pursuant to your suggestion. No luck right on down to 1024 x 768.

Whenever I connect via DVI and try to either clone or extend the notebook display to my desktop monitor via Fn + F7 I get the message;

The following settings you have selected cannot be applied properly. Change the settings and try again.

External monitor or projector, television;

Resolution

Color quality

I've been at this problem for a while and have tried pretty much every setting possible from CCC regarding resolution and color quality.

Your comment regarding "defective by design" seems to have some merit!

I might have an anchor for sale coming up shortly. Do have a small boat that might require one for cheap?

Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 18 of 23

2009-05-22, 19:36 PM

Hate to say it but Lenovo, Dell, HP, and Apple have all implemented DisplayPort on the cheap and it shows.

FYI: DisplayPort is supposed to be an altenative to HDMI (which costs a few dollars per machine to license), and is supposed to have a few distinct advantages over HDMI-- if properly implmented! SUpport for higher resolutions is one such advantage claimed.

Did you know that HDMI and DisplayPort are both supposed to carry the digital audio signal along with the video? Makes sense as the connection is designed to work with not just computer monitors but also with flatpanel TV's and modern presentation projectors.

But Lenovo choose to implement DisplayPort with NO DIGITAL AUDIO pass-through at all! Anf then they disabled digital audio outputs on all of their new sound cards and chips used in Thinkpads-- so no way to play your nice BluRay movie and listen to the sound track unless you connect stereo speakers to the notebook via the headphone jack, listen to the tiny built-in speakers, or purchase and carry around a 5lb mini-dock wherever you go (supports only SPDIF via coax, no optical).

It would have been nice if Lenovo had made this information available somewhere in the marketing literature produced for their products. In fact they even had a professional designer from Lenovo write a blog post about the wonders of DisplayPort without ever once mentioning this HUGE shortcoming.

Options

33 Posts

03-28-2009

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

77 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 19 of 23

2009-05-24, 17:36 PM
just FYI, I have a DP to HDMI adaptor, and when I connect to a flat panel TV, it works this may be a test to see if there is an actual signal coming out of the laptop.
Options

4 Posts

05-26-2009

USA

7 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 20 of 23

2009-05-27, 1:12 AM

Yay! It works!

I've been trying to get this to work for four or five hours over the past few days.  After a lot of playing around with monitors, cables, etc., I finally got it to display.

My laptop displayed fine on my co-worker's identical monitor (NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi), and I know my monitor worked with my old laptop.  And I saw a hint somewhere about suspending the laptop to kick it into a state where it could detect the monitor.  So, with a new DVI cable, I did some combination of suspending/resuming and opening/closing the lid, and at some point it displayed a mirror of what was on the laptop LCD.  I had only power and DVI connected to the dock.  From there I plugged in the VGA cable for my second external monitor, and got a presentation manager profile working for both of them together. 

I am not sure what part of that worked, and I'm not sure that I could reproduce it.  I expect it will break again when I undock, supend, or reboot.  Will post again if/when I have problems (and/or further solutions).  Now, time to actually get some work done!

Something to look out for: I wanted my CRT to display above 60Hz, so I chose 70.  Presentation director didn't like it, but didn't complain when I chose 60Hz.  I went to advanced display properties (to set it manually), and noticed that 70Hz is not an option, but 75Hz is.  Choosing 75Hz for the presentation director profile worked.  I recommend finding some basic settings that at least display something on the monitors you want to use, and then change one variable at a time until you reach the settings you really want.  That way you can tell which variable is causing the problem and work on that.  I had just assumed all of my problems were DVI-related (most of them were).

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Neal

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms