Raleigh

3 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 11 of 30

Re: w500 keyboard super-loose-noisy!!

2008-09-15, 21:03 PM

Hey Greg -

I AM actually a lenovo employee and have the same issue. I have to say, for the money spent and the power this thing has, I find it hard to believe that the engineering team let this go? I have a few T61s and a Z61 here so I'm going to rip this open tonight.

I'll post my findings!

iJava

Options

18 Posts

09-10-2008

austin texas

23 Signins

119 Page Views

• Views: 119
  • Message 12 of 30

2008-09-15, 21:32 PM
Sounds good. I have tried out both a T61 and a T400 and both of them are FINE... The W500 keyboard that i have is a really bad... at least on the left side. I have asked CDW to send me another laptop  (replacement) to verify that this is either common in all of them, or maybe I just got a bad keyboard in mine. Not sure if they mix them up or literally put the exact same keyboard in all laptops of a particular type... Thanks for looking into this. I am eager to hear your results... 
Options

18 Posts

09-10-2008

austin texas

23 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 13 of 30

2008-09-16, 21:16 PM

Ok folks... I got another W500 in today and it works FINE! I decided to go ahead and open up both laptops to see what is different... Results are:

1. parts are the same

2. one works fine and the other has major issues with sinking, noise, bouncing on the left side of the keyboard.

3. all I could tell upon closer examination is that either the frame is warped/twisted a bit, or it is the actual keyboard that is warped a bit. The problem is that the bad one doesn't "rest" in position well; it sits up higher than the other. The good one sits down nicely and hence doesn't "bounce" when you type on it. I even tried (with the cover off of both laptops) to:

lay the keyboard in place and hold down the lower left corner with my finger and type. (bad one still bad) (good one still good)

the only difference is the actual frame that it sits in... the bad one must be warped a bit so it doesn't lay flat.(I looked at the board closely and it looked pretty square/flat (to the eye)).

Well, all I can say is if your W500 has a loosy-goosy left-side keyboard, send the whole thing back and get another... it might be just fine... (mine was). I don't think swaping the keyboard out will do anything good. I think the issue is the frame it rests in.

Good luck. I am keeping the new one and sending the old one (5 days old) back...

cheers... (looks to be a manufacturing defect).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

218 Posts

09-05-2008

Cleveland, OH

60 Signins

1049 Page Views

• Views: 1049
  • Message 14 of 30

2008-09-17, 21:21 PM

The current batch of W500s at CDW all came from the same shipping container, and I'm betting they'll all have the same keyboard FRU.  I know this because mine came from CDW-G and our sales guy wasn't able to get me mine by the original quoted date due to waiting for a new container.  ;)

There actually seem to be SIX FRUs for the (US English) keyboard on the W500, according to the hardware maintenance manual.  What's odd is that yours isn't listed.  :p

From Page 160 (table 46):

42T4002
42T4066
42T3937

Page 161 (table 47):

42T3209
42T3273
42T3143

I'm not sure what the difference is between table 46 & 47, I've never seen them list two entire sets of parts like this.

In previous versions of the hardware maintenence manual (HMM) for other systems, they list the manufuacturer on the top of the columns, but this version has gotten rid of that.  The Icelandic keyboard is apparently only made by one company as there is only one FRU for it in each table.

Message Edited by ZPrime on 09-17-2008 05:23 PM
Options

18 Posts

09-10-2008

austin texas

23 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 15 of 30

2008-09-17, 22:40 PM
Argh.. that is odd mine isn't on the list... But, I am happy with the  new one now... and when I compared them visually they sure looked the same. I must admit I did not open up the new laptop and verify what partnumber this keyboard had on it... (mainly because I need to do some real work). All my co-workers that have MAC-Book Pro's are laughing their heads off at this stuff. Just the lack of quality vs the MAC's is pretty noticeable... (oh well)... :)
Options

218 Posts

09-05-2008

Cleveland, OH

60 Signins

1049 Page Views

• Views: 1049
  • Message 16 of 30

2008-09-18, 18:26 PM

LOL, Lenovo lack of quality vs. a Mac?

Tell one of the MBP users to remove their hard disk.  :smileyvery-happy:

Or, tell one of the MBP users to pick the notebook up by the screen.  First, watch as the LCD discolors due to the flimsy case behind it.  Second, watch as the lower portion of the Mac simply flops open and the whole thing is almost vertical due to their cruddy hinges.

Yes, Macs LOOK nice, and they are somewhat pleasurable to use, but I'll take a well-engineered notebook over a design piece any day.

I'd be very pleased if Apple got a clue and released OS X as a standalone system, as I could then legally run it on a Thinkpad, which would be laptop Nirvana.  :)

Options

18 Posts

09-10-2008

austin texas

23 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 17 of 30

2008-09-18, 19:24 PM

Well normally I wouldn't even chime in on this, but I couldn't help it. I think you might consider this....

What is most important about the display hinge?

a. being able to hold it up by the display and it "stick" in place; how often do you do that? I generally hold it by the base...

b. or how often do you lift the lid open to use the darn thing. (many more times I would guess). So the question is do you want to be able to have an "easy open" type model or a "stiff so it will hold up on it's own model". Your choice... You probably can't get both. That is probably why opening the lenovo from the latch takes so much effort.. You can't just lift it up with a finger because it is so "tight". Sounds like a tradeoff someone made and they prioritized one thing over the other...

2. As far as pushing on the back of the display, well none of the MBP's we have, fall victim to what you have asserted. I do think the Thinkpads are a bit more rigid, but I pressed darn hard on them and the display was not affected.

3. Engineering... how about the magnetic connectors... cost a bit more, but very nice to put in and take out... How about the bezel on the displays... the Thinkpad's display is not even entered... it is a bit to the right side for some reason... probably a wireless antenna or something.. but the right edge is close to 3/4 " vs the left edge is about 1/3"... pretty tough.... especially if you actually look up from time to time and notice it... (ugh)...

Oh well. probably alot of personal preferences in there... That said, I am pretty happy with the thinkpad... especially now that I got one with a keyboard that works reasonably well.

Options

9 Posts

07-17-2008

Toronto

22 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 18 of 30

2008-09-23, 0:49 AM

So what's the solution for this problem? I just got my W500 and the keyboard sucks hardddddd. You know what I don't even care that much about the flex but the noise is just unbearable!

What's the better course of action: asking for a same model exchange, or trying a T500 instead?

Options

18 Posts

09-10-2008

austin texas

23 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 19 of 30

2008-09-23, 12:49 PM
Well it is your choice, but if the problem is sinking and a bunch of "noise" as a result, I would suggest you get a replacement.. That is what I did and the second one was fine...The problem that mine has was that the keyboard was warped underneath and didn't seat properly below all the plastic that holds it against the underlying frame. The second one that was sent to me was fine.  Mine was through CDW and they took care of it very quickly, with no hassles.
Options

9 Posts

07-17-2008

Toronto

22 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 20 of 30

2008-09-24, 16:50 PM

Okay so I'm going to go for an exchange for the T500. I'm pretty sure it's the same chassis and all, but I have a T500 already and I have no issues with it at all, so I thought I'd just go for it.

Gotta tell ya, Lenovo Canada technical support is absolutely horrid. No one knows what the eff is going on, one guy is telling me a team leader will call me, one guy can't even find the case -- I wait 3 days, still no call. Keep in mind that I'm getting closer to the 21 days limit... So I call again and apparently I needed to fax them the proof of purchase?? What??? I ordered the notebook online from YOUR WEBSITE! Why do you need a proof of purchase? Is the serial number/order number not enough? So I faxed it, received no ETA for a call back, and here I am sitting in the dark.

So far, an absolutely craptastic experience. The ship is obviously sinking... Wake up Lenovo! Might have to go for a Dell if I actually get this returned.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete