Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 181 of 234

Re: w510 BSOD

2010-09-11, 20:54 PM

Priaptor wrote:

In summary, please tell me (us) what is the role of a "moderator" and what is the relationship to Lenovo of moderators?

The moderation team (names in gold with a rank of Community Moderator) are ThinkPad (mostly ThinkPad with a few IdeaPad and server) enthusiasts who volunteer their unpaid time in the forum moving threads around, helping members and generally keeping the forum running smoothly and productively.  None of us are Lenovo employees.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-forum-moderator.htm

Lenovo employees can be identified by names in blue with a rank of Lenovo Employee or Lenovo Staff (ie Jamez) or names in red with rank of Admin (ie Mark or Cleo).

Re your question about the purpose of the forum:

While there are a few Lenovo employees in here helping out on a volunteer basis, Lenovo did not design this as a support channel with dedicated Lenovo support personnel assigned to it answering all questions. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees as there are way more of us than them.

The reason we're encouraging someone in the USA to volunteer to send a known bad unit to Lenovo engineering unit (NOT support) as Mark requested is to help the engineers diagnose the problem.  Having a unit that is known to have the issue in their hands will help them pin it down faster.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

1 Posts

09-13-2010

Germany

2 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 182 of 234

Re: Qualcomm WWAN not working

2010-09-13, 15:27 PM

I also have the problem with the disappearing and reappearing WWAN device on my W510 4319-4NG with my provider o2 in Germany, but maybe I can shed some light on this problem and why it can't be reproduced:

I'm using the current version of the WWAN (as of 2010-09-13) driver with defaultimage=6.

WWAN works perfectly in some locations (e.g. at home) in other locations (e.g. at work) the device keeps dis- and reappearing every 10 seconds.

In the both locations mentioned above I have an excellent signal strength, but different mobile base stations and my android phone with the same provider works fine in both places and shows a 3G connection.

So i assume qualcomm hasn't done it's homework to assure the interoperability with different base-station equipment.

And this also explains why this problem can't easily be reproduced, why some users don't have this problem for weeks and the problem suddenly reappears (WWAN device connects to another base station).

BTW: is there a generic (non lenovo branded - not provider specific) more current driver for this gobi 2000 9205 device directly from qualcom?

Options

17 Posts

08-30-2010

austria

73 Signins

446 Page Views

• Views: 446
  • Message 183 of 234

2010-09-13, 17:19 PM

wrote:

I also have the problem with the disappearing and reappearing WWAN device on my W510 4319-4NG with my provider o2 in Germany, but maybe I can shed some light on this problem and why it can't be reproduced:

I'm using the current version of the WWAN (as of 2010-09-13) driver with defaultimage=6.

WWAN works perfectly in some locations (e.g. at home) in other locations (e.g. at work) the device keeps dis- and reappearing every 10 seconds.

In the both locations mentioned above I have an excellent signal strength, but different mobile base stations and my android phone with the same provider works fine in both places and shows a 3G connection.

So i assume qualcomm hasn't done it's homework to assure the interoperability with different base-station equipment.

And this also explains why this problem can't easily be reproduced, why some users don't have this problem for weeks and the problem suddenly reappears (WWAN device connects to another base station).

BTW: is there a generic (non lenovo branded - not provider specific) more current driver for this gobi 2000 9205 device directly from qualcom?

hi leikjeki,

@i thing, the GSM base station can only be a part of an complex problem.  i have 23 W510 notebooks, at the moment we have at least 2 notebooks, which are affected by the problem. it makes no sense, at which location (@home, ) or which GMS provider i am using (austrian: yesss (=orange austria) or a1). one notebook is working, another on (with same type + model) isn't working (same location, same sim, same harddisk with the same windows image).  both notebook have the same BIOS version, both got the CMOS settings reseted. lenovo also changed the WWAN card, it makes no difference. the only way the card getting to work, is using a old yesss sim, which seems to the WWAN card to be roamed in the orange network.

in my opinion, there must more than one factor to cause the problem. one is the used sim, another has to do with the laptop hardware (motherboard). probably the firmware has also an bug....

--

alram

Options

3 Posts

09-14-2010

Palm Beach FL

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 184 of 234

2010-09-14, 15:42 PM

We have  purchased 21 W510, all with the Gobi card option, with Windows 7 64bit, 8gig of memory and 500 gig drives.

We did not purchase the "Touchscreen" but did get the calibrating screen.

We are ATT customers and none of our 21 machines can connect.  

We have had to resort to a USB modems for all machines which has been a real drag as a result of the extra expense.

We are experiencing the appearing disappearing act in DM and in the Connection profile.  

All other hardware working well.  We have tried just about every option out there, including sending three machines back to tech, only to get all three returned with 32 bit Windows 7 installed, none of them working but making more work for us to reinstall Windows 64 bit.

Options

11 Posts

07-30-2010

Austria

38 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 185 of 234

2010-09-21, 7:00 AM

So still no UPDATE ... I gave up and ordered from my IP 30 pieces of USB extern Modems , hope that will do it !

(4 letter word) to that Lenovo and Qualcom Technicans ... not even one showed up here and gave an apology for that crap !

Never again any Lenovo equipment ,,,, that Docking station is also crap ! (even when you touch them a little bit, USB devices loosing connection and not useable without battery pluged in !)

Hope Qualcom get busted soon ...

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 186 of 234

2010-09-22, 0:33 AM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

28 Posts

12-20-2007

UK

174 Signins

1054 Page Views

• Views: 1054
  • Message 187 of 234

2010-10-02, 23:53 PM

I have the same problem here. When the driver is installed, the gobi 2000 appears and disappears  again and again in the device manager. However when the driver is uninstalled, the device manager works normal, gobi 2000 will not disappear.

Anyone have a solution yet? My W510 is 4319-29G win7 pro 64bit

Options

28 Posts

12-20-2007

UK

174 Signins

1054 Page Views

• Views: 1054
  • Message 188 of 234

Re: Qualcomm WAN not working

2010-10-03, 13:54 PM

I have the same problem here. Any solution yet? Right now I am working with gobi 2000 driver uninstalled.

Options

17 Posts

08-30-2010

austria

73 Signins

446 Page Views

• Views: 446
  • Message 189 of 234

2010-10-04, 9:38 AM

hello,

today i got my notebook back. they changed the WWAN Card, without any effect. the problem resides. i did a call to lenovo and esaclated the case.

if there are any news, i will post them here...

--

alram

Options

1 Posts

10-08-2010

Boynton Beach

9 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 190 of 234

2010-10-08, 13:54 PM

WOW, I just got mine and am having the same problem.  Was on the line with tech support who said I must have a faulty WWAN card or it was not configured properly but in any case they said not their problem and transferred me to ATT.

ATT had me put the SIM into my USB modem and all worked fine, so they said, not my problem.

I called back Lenovo who said we already said not our problem.

I guess, given all the complaints listed here, it is Lenovo's problem.

I can't believe they refuse to address this problem.  I wish I knew about this prior to my purchase as I would have bought something else as I rely on WWAN.  

This is terrible. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms