Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

05-28-2012

Seychelles

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 1 of 1

w520 unstable wifi

2012-10-05, 21:39 PM

I've had my w520 for a year and a few months now.  Over all love it.  Except sometime around last October or Nov I started having wifi issues.  It started soon after I installed a new modem/wif router combo when I got TWC wideband.   A month or so later I noticed random wifi disconnects.  I went back to my d-link DIR-655, however the problem continued.  I tired random fixes and troubleshooting.  However never had much success and couldn't get the problem to repeat consistently enough to repeat.  It didn't happen all the time, and most of the time I'm wired in my office so didn't bother me to much. A few months ago, in an effort to fix the issue and improve my wifi over all, I installed an ASUS rt-n66u.  However the issue continues.  I can use my wife's Dell with a cheapo WirelessN usb adapter right next to my w520 and her's works fine. Tablets, phones, none of them loose connection.

Notes:

-Typically (if not all the time) the problem occurs when on battery.  I have made sure everything is on maximum performance power settings.  I also have a fresh install of windows and lenovo stuff as of a couple weeks ago. 
-I have tried updating the driver directly from Intel's site. Also tried rolling back to previous driver

-connected to 5g band (only client connected to 5g band), also tried 2.8. However this happens even if connected to wif mobile hotspot, or other router

- Usually wifi will disconnect from router, and still show list of available networks, however will not connect to any of them.  I run Windows network troubleshooter which doesn't detect a problem.  I then turn off my wifi (using switch on the side) wait a minute and turn it back on.  However the icon in my taskbar still shows it turned off.  I wait a few minutes, run the Windows troubleshooter.  It will then tell me that "Wireless capability is turned off", even though I just turned it back on.  Typically once Windows turns it back on everything work fine.  Until it happens again in 5 min.  In fact it's already happened again in the time it took me to write this out.

w520
i7 2.3
8GB RAM
Win7 Pro x64
Centrino 6300 AGN

this is happening almost everytime I go unplugged with my laptop and it's driving me crazy.  any help would be great.

thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)