Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonsQuest
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,050
Message 1 of 10

2019 ThinkPad P-Series (ThinkPad P53), X-Rite Color Assistant

Dear Community

Last week I received my new ThinkPad P53, a custom order over my schools IT-Support.
After upgrading RAM and SSD I ran into some errors and the boot drive got corrupted.
I managed to restore the boot drive using the Lenovo USB-Recovery-Creator and the official factory image.

Everything now works perfectly fine and alle the drivers and utilities that came preinstalled are also back again.

Except for one thing. Out of factory there was a utility called X-Rite Color Assistant for color calibration that is now gone.
I already updated everything inside Lenovo Vantage and Windows Update, but it didn't bring it back either.

Yesterday I saw that the X-Rite Color Assistant can be downloaded under https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds540353
providing the serial number of the supported products. It also can be found under the software and ultility downloads of the

X1 Extreme Gen 2 and the P1 Gen 2 but not yet for the P53 or so on.

Since the Lenovo X-Rite Color Assistant is cloud based and the color profiles are stored online you have to provide the serial number of the factory calibrated machine. Thats what I did, but it says that the serial number is not allowed for this download, despite my ThinkPad P53 has a X-Rite Color Calibrated sticker on it.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe it isn't available yet beacause the product was released recently, after the X1 Extreme and P1 Gen 2.

Thank you for looking in. Best regards,

Simon

Specs: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), i9-9880H 2.3 / 4.8 GHz (OctaCore), 64 GB RAM, 1 + 2 TB SSD NVMe,

15.6'' UHD (3840 x 2160) HDR400 500nit antiglare IPS Panel, Nvidia Quadro RTX4000

mozzo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 975
Message 2 of 10

Re: 2019 ThinkPad P-Series (ThinkPad P53), X-Rite Color Assistant

Try with the serial number of the display.

SimonsQuest
Fanfold Paper
Views: 960
Message 3 of 10

How do I get the display serial number?
Can't find any information in Hardware Manager of Windows 10 Pro.
mozzo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 947
Message 4 of 10

To get all the essential data about your display you could use DumpEDID by NirSoft, a freeware command-line utility.

Anyway it's likely that the serial number of the display is needed only when you replace the screen.

For a brand new computer it's more logical that they need just the serial number of the computer: in that case the problem could be caused by the P53 being too new as a model.

mozzo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 929
Message 5 of 10

You're one of the first lucky guys to receive a P53 with 4K display. I hope you can answer the following questions:

1. Have you noticed some stuttering or lags when scrolling web pages in Chrome, watching 4k videos in YouTube, dragging windows and files etc.?

2. What scaling settings are you using (200%, 250% etc.)? Are you experiencing some scaling-related issues?

3. How many hours of battery life do you get when working with Office files or browsing the web?

4. Does the computer get extremely hot after watching a 4K movie or a long YouTube 4K video?

Thanks!

SimonsQuest
Fanfold Paper
Views: 916
Message 6 of 10

Yes, I know. There are a lot of questions out there. In the short time of ownership, I can provide you the following information:

1. I haven't noticed any lags or stuttering while browsing in Firefox and Chrome or dragging files and windows. Watching 4k content isn't a problem either. All of this was done in power saving mode.

2. I'm currently using the default scaling of 250%, which I really liked. I haven't experienced scaling issues yet. Generally, the 15.6'' UHD HDR400 antiglare IPS-Panel looks very vibrant and really nice. The display also gets very bright and is dimmable in 12 steps. I usually dim it 3 steps (25%) while sitting inside.

3. The display dimmed around 25% and power saving mode turned on, the battery lasts about 4.5 hours while watching 4k content.

I would say that it lasts about 6 to 6.5 hours for light office tasks.

4. For basic tasks such as browsing or watching 4k content, it doesn't get hot at all. Maybe a little bit warm.

I haven't pushed the P53 hard enough to rate the cooling system. For light tasks as described above, the fans turn on but barely audible.

In general, the system is very performant. My particular unit has a 2TB m.2 NVMe SSD from Samsung with 3'300 MB/s read and 3'000 MB/s write speed - maybe an OEM version of the 970 evo plus from Samsung. Start up takes about 7-10 seconds.

Both the core i9-9880H and the Quadro RTX 4000 with 8 GB of VRAM really do their job, but I haven't done a benchmark yet.

The system will be used for CAD applications at university or at home.

Feel free to ask for a specific benchmark such as 3DMark or so on. I will try to test it and get back to you as soon as possible.

mozzo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 855
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the reply! Please let me know when you finally get X-Rite Color Assistant. In fact one of the issues of last year wide gamut 4K ThinkPads (X1E, P1 and P52) was the lack of a software able to manage color spaces at OS level. Only a few applications (i.e. Photoshop) were able to properly use the display wide gamut.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 736
Message 8 of 10

I think you need to call Lenovo support and raise the serial number mismatch issue.
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 572
Message 9 of 10

Hello @SimonsQuest

Thanks for brining the issue to our attention and also for your patience. The necessary teams have been involved and have informed me they expect the issue to be resolved by the end of next week 12./13. September.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

SimonsQuest
Fanfold Paper
Views: 563
Message 10 of 10

Dear Andy

Thank you for your information. I have been in touch with the lenovo support also, which have given me the same piece of information.
I will try again to install the X-Rite Color Assistant within next week. I will mark the post as resolved once the installation is working fine.

Best regards,

Simon

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors