Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhelboy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,001
Message 1 of 7

2x 1TB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD in RAID-0 P50 Thinkpad

Hi Tech Geeks,

I just purchased Thinkpad workstation P50. 

Here is my Custom configuration from Lenovo website:

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 3.70GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
Memory: 64GB(16x4) DDR4 2133MHz SoDIMM
Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4GB
M.2 slot Storage 0: 256GB SSD SATA3 OPAL2.0 

M.2 slot Storage 1: Nothing

2.5 Inch Sata Drive slot: Nothing

<I will upgrade all the storage with faster and larger capacity ssd's>

I read somewhere that to be able ro configure my P50 in raid-0 , I should order it in lenovo for the RAIDCARD to be added on motherboard if not RAID-0 is not possible for my laptop. Is this information legit? ( I really hope this is not true)

I ordered my P50 not in RAID 0 to save money, since I am planning to upgrade it with the upcoming Samsung 960 PRO.

My Question 2nd Question is, If RAID-0 is possible Can I configure the 2xM.2 slots in RAID-0 using 2x1TB Samsung 960 PRO PCIE SSD? Is there will be compatibility issue with the connecting ports/motherboard? I read somewhere that P50 does not support Samsung NVME SSD and recommended to use their own NVME. I saw some users that install Samsung P50 in their machines, but other users says that it is not recommended since it will cause harm with the samsung SSD since it is not supported by the motherboard?

I just configured and ordered my P50 in lenovo US website  last friday (Nov 25) and will be ship on Dec 06. 

Hope I can clarify this so lenovo can install RAIDCARD on my P50.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will respond.

JensDavid
SCSI Port
Views: 1,926
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2x 1TB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD in RAID-0 P50 Thinkpad

Hi mhelboy

How can a SSD cause harm to a motherboard, where have you learnt this?

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 1,914
Message 3 of 7

JensDavid - Don't think mhelboy mentioned damage to motherboard, I think he meant general damage.

Could he be referring to a post by Amy_Lenovo who mentioned some Samsung NVMe drives were not 100% compatible with P50 (bios issue etc) and could cause problems?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-...

Am not quite sure what Amy is trying to convey here. Is she saying that Samsung NVMe drives are not 100% supported and we need to get only the "Thinkpad" NVMe drives?

Could someone please explain?

Thanks,

TFO
What's DOS?
Views: 1,845
Message 4 of 7

The configuration you are planning should work just fine.  I have a P50 that shipped with a single 256 GB Intel SATA M.2 SSD drive. When I recieved the unit I pulled the Intel SSD and replaced it with a pair of Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB NVMe drives, and a 2.5" SATA 2 TB Spinning drive.

I was able to enable the RAID option in the firmware and configure the two M.2 drives as a raid 0 configuration.

The are a couple of caveats you need to keep in mind.

1: Windows does not have a in box driver for the RAID configuration.  You will need to download the Intel Rapid Storage driver F6 driver package from Intel. When you boot in to Windows setup it will not see the drive.  Select the option to load a driver, then point to the unpacked F6 driver package on a USB thumb drive.  Once this is done the drive will show up and you can install on the RAID 0 drive.

2: Lenovo only ships storage brackets for the storage configuration you order with the unit.  IE: You order one M.2 SSD drive, then the unit will only come with one M.2 SSD tray.  The second M.2 bay will not have an SSD tray in it, and the HDD bay will also be empty. You will need to order an additional SSD tray to use the second M.2 slot. If you want to use the 2.5" HDD bay, you will need to order a storage kit that includes the HDD bracket, and SATA cable.

ThinkPad P50 M.2 SATA SSD Tray = Part 4XB0L78233

ThinkPad Mobile Workstation Storage Kit = Part 4XB0L63274

-Harley

mhelboy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,842
Message 5 of 7

Thanks a lot Harley for this information...
I didn't know that I still need to buy adaptors for both m.2 and 2.5 inch drives...

This information is very useful.

Atleast now I know that it's possible to do.
Godbless to you..
mhelboy
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the response...

What I mean is that P50 motherboard does not support Samsung NVME drives so it might damage the drives in the long run since NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management are unsupported in Thinkpad motherboards.

I just want to confirm if this information is correct since I will be using this laptop for work and any unwanted loss of data is extremely bad on my kind of work.
mhelboy
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 7

Thanks nkaufman, Yes that is what I meant...
Hope this information about incompatibility is not correct....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors