Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rogue-one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,248
Message 1 of 30

3 displays with P50 and Workstation Dock

Hi Everyone,

Having an issue I have 2 Dell u2414h and an Asus 28" VG278H looking to have all 3 connected to the dock but seems as though the workstation dock only supports a single DP 1.2 connection even though it has two and the thunderbolt port is non existant on the dock.

I'm looking to connect all 3 of my monitors to this dock any guidence on how I can go about this? the two dells have mini display port, Display port and HDMI the Asus has DVI, VGA and HDMI I tired to daisy chain the Dells but the screen just blinks on and off with the display.

Can I use the thunderbolt 3 connection somehow? I wouldnt be oppesed to use a EGPU but I have not read anyone that has even tried an EGPU enclosure on the P50.

Any help would be appriciated I've flashed the dock and p50 to the newest BIOS and updated all the drivers for the M2000m quadro as well.

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 20,209
Message 2 of 30

Re: 3 displays with P50 and Workstation Dock

The dock is only limited in a single DP 1.2 bandwidth (there is a 'branching device' in nVidia topology), so it can drive 3 1080p monitors (2x digital + 1 VGA).

Can get USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 => DisplayPort adapters to connect more monitors (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-USB-Type-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B0157RVTDW , although mine is yet to arrive). 

There should be many more of these in 3-6 months, even Thunderbolt 3->Dual DisplayPort (each up to 4K @ 60Hz). Right now, however, selection is quite limited and Dell TB15 dock was reported to have issues with P50/P70. Perhaps resolved with the Thunderbolt software update already.

rogue-one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,201
Message 3 of 30

Hey thanks for the reply. 

Ok I'm a bit confused so I can only run one display port monitor and a VGA l or DVI monitor on this POS dock? $300 down the drain! 

When you say branching is that referring to daisy chaining the two dells?  Can I somehow use the mini display port or hdmi on the laptop with a Dvi cable in the dock and one of the display port from the dell to the dock? To get the 3 displays 

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 20,194
Message 4 of 30

Lenovo have updated the page https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/documents/pd029622 , and HDMI on the laptop does indeed work when docked (unlike MiniDP on P70).

You can run 2 Display Port monitors, and VGA, connected to the dock, provided all these together are within bandwidth limits of  a single DP 1.2 (i.e. can do 4 * 1920x1200 * 60Hz, or 2* 4K * 30Hz). And a laptop screen too. And HDMI (on the laptop itself) all at the same time. So you should be able to connect everything.

P.S. If you check nVidia settings -> system topology, you'll see something called 'Branching device' attached to the GPU, to which everything connected to the dock ends up connected. Probably it's an internal MST hub, which explains why further daisy chaining does not work (MST didn't seem to work with a pair of P2715Q either, but I didn't try too hard and perhaps it's possible after all).

rogue-one
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,176
Message 5 of 30

That's funny I was just trying that as you sent the reply so this is how I got it working with the current setup connected to the dock the ASUS via DVI and one of the Dell's to the display port on the dock then connected the other dell to the HDMI on the P50 and viola it worked it was a bit strange at first flickering and such had to power cycle one the dell connected to the display port and then it worked.

I'm worried that when I undock it's going to act strange again will update later once I have time to undock/redock but I have some work that needs to be done before I mess this up lol.

I really hope EGPU will work for this unit once they come out or it's going straight to ebay and I'm looking elsewhere for a desktop replacement.

This looks promissing https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/thunderbolt-3-to-dual-displayport~TB32DP2 I wonder if I can get my 4th display "42 lcd TV"  working with this when it's released.  Two connections to the dell's via thunderbolt then DVI to the Asus and HDMI to the TV.

I just can't understand why this dock doesnt have thunderbolt 3 I thought this dock was specificaly designed for the p50/p70

Wonder if this is possible now..

I can use both display ports on the dock one to each of the dells and then run VGA to another display from the dock?

My thinking here if this is possible I can get all 4 of my displays the dells each going to the display ports on the dock and VGA to my 42" LCD to the dock and HDMI from p50 to the 28" Asus 

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 20,167
Message 6 of 30

I can use both display ports on the dock one to each of the dells and then run VGA to another display from the dock?

Yes, this works.

As to the dock, it's lack of Thunderbolt 3, combined with inability to hook up 2x4K@60Hz monitors, it was a big disappointment indeed.

tigerteam
Paper Tape
Views: 20,158
Message 7 of 30

I have literally worked DAYS to get three 2K displays to work on P50 with dock.

I have been successful getting up to six monitors, but just went backwards a step. Heres what I have found so far ..

I have three 30" Dell U3014 2K (2560x1600) displays along with the native P50 4K screen. I have the M2000M GPU. I am also using the Lenovo docking station.  I also have a couple of the lenovo USB 3.0->DVI adapters .

1) I initially got two of the 2K Dell monitors to work without any problem whatsoever using the docking station. They worked with two DP cables or a single daisychained cable.  I had expected 30hz on the latter, but found them to be 60hz.  So far, so good !!!

2) I tried every conceivable cabling method to get the third 2K monitor to work at the 2560x1600 resolution.  It was detected , and would work, but at a reduced resolution.  I used DP, DVI, VGA, even a three-deep single DP1.2 daisychaining.  I also would disable the native 4K LCD. Tried both Hybrid and Discrete Display modes in BIOS ... Nothing would let me configure three 2560x1600 displays. 

The lenovo documents implied 5 monitors could be run using the dock, by making use of the mini-DP on the laptop itself, but I found that not to work.

Yes, I could run them as three 1920x1200 displays, but not the desired 2560x1600 mode.

3) BUT ... I found a solution

I got a $20 usb3.1C (thunderbolt3)->DP adapter from Cable Matters (amazon) and found that I could attach the third monitor thru it and run the other two from the dock.  Or run a daisychained pair from it and a single from the dock.  and could turn the 4K monitor back on !!!  Life was good.

4) Me being a nerd, I then added two more 20" 1600x1200 monitors to system using two of the USB 3.0->DVI adapters ... These were for documents so bandwidth wasnt a big deal.   I then added a 6th widescreen TV  via the Intel wireless WIDI Display option ... Life was REALLY good ..

5) along the way, I found that there was an installed NVIDIA control console that gave more control over the attached monitors IFF they were using the nvidia GPU.  But then I had to go backwards a step for an unrelated reason and go to an older restore point ... the nvideo control console no longer saw the monitors  .. then I did a stupid thing and installed a newer Nvidia driver ( non-lenovo) and video got hosed up.  User beware !!!

6) so I went back to a restore point with the lenovo video drivers and now am battling the USB3.1 thunderbolt port isnt working when docked now for some bizare reason.  It works when not docked tho.  So Im back to two monitors trying to get where I was at step3 above ....

tigerteam
Paper Tape
Views: 20,151
Message 8 of 30

The lack of the thunderbolt3 port on the dock IS most confusing and annoying!

My thunderbolt display adapter DID work on the USB 3.1C port when docked ... but has stopped for some reason .. sigh.

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 20,097
Message 9 of 30

@tigerteam wrote:

Yes, I could run them as three 1920x1200 displays, but not the desired 2560x1600 mode.

@3x2560x1600 @60 Hz exceeds single DP 1.2 bandwidth the dock has. If at least 2 would be set to 30Hz, it might work.
tigerteam
Paper Tape
Views: 20,040
Message 10 of 30

30Hz would be acceptible, but I cant find method of forcing 30hz on either monitor or lenovo laptop.

I did manage to get all monitors working again by using Thuderbolt 3 on one,  There was some "voodo" involved, but it magically worked again.  The tunderbolt does seem "touchy" on whether it works while docked or not.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors