Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OrigamiArch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 328
Message 1 of 22

30+ second Bios times on P52

In the past week after recieving my P52 (i7-8850, P3200, 32GRAM (256GSSD x2, 512HDD)) from lenovo after a motherboard replacement, I have noticed that my laptop has been posting 30+ second bios boot times (as checked in control center) whereas before I recieved it, I was posting 3-4 second times.

My boot order is as follows:

1. Windows Boot Manager

2. USB CD

3. USB FDD

4. NVMe0 (I'm assuming my C drive)

5. NVMe1 (E drive)

6. ATA HDD1

7. ATA HDD2

8. ATA HDD0 (D drive?)

9. USB HDD

10. PCI LAN IBA CL Slot

Unfortunately I do not know the configuration from before. My only startup programs are f.lux, Defender notification, one drive, and Rainmeter. Disabling does not seem to change the time.

Another change is that the windows splash screen pops up during boot, when previously only the lenovo boot logo would appear before the lock screen. This happens when waking from a full power down and from hibernation. I'm not extremely tech savvy but I can try and get any logs needed if guided.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 301
Message 2 of 22

Re: 30+ second Bios times on P52

Hello and welcome,

The time difference seems a bit extreme but what you describe could be caused by Windows fast startup being disabled.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501793

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

OrigamiArch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 289
Message 3 of 22

I tried disabling the Fast Start, rebooted, enabled it again, and rebooted to a 31.4s boot time.

SeniorGuru
Views: 279
Message 4 of 22

If you don't have any boot options other than from your M.2 NVMe0 drive (where both C and Boot Manager live), you can "exclude" all the others through the BIOS setup utility.  Each of these takes some time to run through, some longer than others, in order to result in "unproductive".  Of course with "Windows Boot Manager" and just those two USB options ahead of your NVMe0 item, I wouldn't have thought any of the later items would contribute any delay.

Nevertheless, you only need the items in the boot device sequence list which actually can support booting and that you have potentially usable for your setup.  Here is my own "trimmed down" boot list on my own P70, which also has an optical drive that can be bootable.  So I only have the USB items, CD/DVD, and then my NVMe0.  Everything else (including Windows Boot Manager) has been "excluded" (using the "-" key) from the initial default list.  Note that I also have physical drives in NVMe1 as well as the 2.5" SATA3 bay, but since these are not bootable I have excluded them intentionally from the boot list.

Note that what shows as "USB HDD" item 2 is actually my non-bootable USB 3.0 backup drive which is always connected to the laptop.  But if I truly had a bootable USB drive inserted, depending on its formatting and partitioning (and whether it's UEFI bootable) it might show as USB FDD or USB HDD, and so could replace or add to the items currently shown (and they would all show up if I pressed F12 at boot time).  Having these two USB FDD and USB HDD items ahead of NVMe0 in the list simply makes it possible for me to boot from either USB or CD/DVD, or NVMe0.  No other "see if present" logic needs to be performed by the BIOS.

ruqb5f

You can at least try this on your P53, and see if it helps.

OrigamiArch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 265
Message 5 of 22

I tried that and still have 30+ second boot. I tried changing to the diagnostic boot on bios and it takes a good 20-30 seconds for the first screen to show up. Not sure if there's a way to see a log of what goes on?

SeniorGuru
Views: 261
Message 6 of 22

Just out of curiosity, do you have any USB drives or external devices plugged in?

SeniorGuru
Views: 258
Message 7 of 22

@OrigamiArch wrote:

In the past week after recieving my P52 (i7-8850, P3200, 32GRAM (256GSSD x2, 512HDD)) from lenovo after a motherboard replacement

Is that a 256GB NVMe SSD on NVMe0??  Does it show x2??  It should certainly be x4? What are you using to show it as x2?

OrigamiArch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 248
Message 8 of 22

I have no USB devices plugged in.

I have 2 256GB SSD drives is what I meant by "x2"

SeniorGuru
Views: 218
Message 9 of 22

Sorry... I didn't understand that your "x2" meant "two of them". I thought you were stating the PCIe hardware characteristic of x2 (i.e. 2-channels) vs. x4 (i.e. 4-channels).

NVMe SSD devices which run on the PCIe bus can actually use only 2-channels (with 1/2-speed performance) instead of the full-speed 4-channels they are capable of. So you'd get about 1600MB/s read speed instead of about 3400MB/s.

Never occurred to me that you were abbreviating the fact that you had two of these M.2 drives (i.e. x2). Sorry.  My mistake.

I'm back at being at a loss for suggesting anything else which might help you explain what's happening. But it does seem booting to the Windows desktop in 4-seconds is (for me anyway) unheard of, unless Win10's fast startup is enabled.  But even then I don't know what can be expected because I don't run that way. Perhaps an updated BIOS with your new motherboard is simply running longer.

If there's nothing actually wrong once Windows appears, and your concern is why it takes 25 second longer to boot than it used to, while I'm sympathetic to your curiosity and concern if there's actually no resulting issue you see under Windows I'm not sure I'd consider this serious. Whatever they needed to replace the motherboard for, has that been fixed?

OrigamiArch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 216
Message 10 of 22

The motherboard replacement was due to the laptop being bricked by a bios update. I only mention the issue with the boot time because of how absurdly slow it is compared to similar laptops of those around me and previous experiences. After restart the bios time is 6 seconds and I don't see why it should take half a minute before I even see signs of life from my machine. I looked through the bootlog and it seems that there are some drivers that are trying to load multiple times. I'll probably look into those and see if those might be affecting it. Is there anything sensitive in those files that I wouldn't want to post here?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors