Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 446
Message 1 of 6

9th gen CPU or Xeon CPU?

Hi, I don't need ECC memory but I prefer quiet laptop. For my work, GPU power/cores is more important than CPU power/cores. In this case, should I choose a Workstation laptop with 9th gen CPU or Xeon CPU? Which one generates less heat?

Also, do Workstation Thinkpad use the same cooling system for both CPU categories or those with Xeon+Quadro GPU gets better cooling system?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 425
Message 2 of 6

Re: 9th gen CPU or Xeon CPU?

I don't think parts lists are available, but on previous models, the cooling was dictated by the GPU and not the CPU.  Are you talking about the P73, P53 or P1?

In the past, there were more GPU options available with the 17" (p73) models, but the initial announcement indicated that the P53 would allow similar choices to the P73.  All configurations will probably not be available on the first day.  I would expect that ANY laptop with a 45-watt CPU would generate a significant amount of heat, especially if a discrete GPU was being - substantially more heat than would come from a low-power, mobile CPU (15-watt). like the ones used it the "T" and "X" series machines and machines from other makers.  More heat means fan(s) running and more noise.  My common sense tells me that more space inside the case would mean more air and somewhat better cooling.  I would expect a P1 to run hotter than a P53 and that a P73 might run a little cooler than a P53, given the same CPU/GPU combination.

I have seen more noise-related comments about Xeon machines but that might not mean anything because the Xeon users could be doing different types of work.  I might guess that Xeon users might be heavier users of the CPU, but maybe not the GPU.  I have seen no discussions comparing i7 vs Xeon CPUs for the same kinds of tasks.  My common sense tells me that the i9 might run hotter than the i7, but I have seen no such study.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 418
Message 3 of 6

Thanks. Yes, I am interested in the P53, P1 Gen 2 and X1E Gen 2. I have tried two X1 Extreme Gen 1 but the fan noise drove me crazy even with undervolting and thermal repaste. I heard from multiple sources that P1 Gen 1 is noiser than X1E Gen 1. Don't know about Gen 2 of these machines but if P1 Gen 2 is thinner than P1 Gen 1, it may be noiser than P1 Gen 1. The P53 is thicker so it may be less noisy. However, the fact that it has a RTX 5000 may make the machine noiser. It seems that if I want RTX GPU, I have to choose either the Legion series or the P53. Too bad in the Legion series, they don't have a 4K screen. I buy the machine for work. I don't game so there is no need for me to get a high refresh rate LCD screen.

Tried X1Y3, Yoga C930 and Yoga 730 15". The former two could be noisy for no reason but unlike the X1E, there is no high pitch sound. The Yoga 730 15" had coil whine, noisy fans, wifi and other issues.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 410
Message 4 of 6

You would get a more reasonable comparison between the P1 and P53 if you tested them with the same GPU.  I don't think that the available combinations have been announced yet.  I am not an expert, but just looking at the configurations, I would think the Legion and x1 extreme (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650) would both be trying to maximize frame rates, for things like gaming, while the GPUs in the p-series machines are aimed for complex projections and rendering for CAD-type applications and similar kinds of work. Again, I would not expect any laptop with a 45-watt CPU and discrete GPU to be really quiet.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 381
Message 5 of 6

Thanks. I guess there are two concerns here when the laptop is under Linux and Windows 10:

1. How the fan noise will be like? If a laptop generates high pitch noise like the X1E Gen 1, then I should stay away from it as I am very sensitive to noise. Even after the BIOS 1.19 update, undervolting, mesh removal and thermal repaste, the X1E still drove me crazy especially under Linux.

2. Is it dead silent when doing basic office stuffs and 4k video play back?

It is understandable that when pushing the CPU/GPU to perform computationally intensive stuffs, there would be fan noise. So I lowered my standard to the level that if it is quiet in basic office productivity tasks and 4K youtube video playback, then some fan noise when being pushed is acceptable provided that the noise are not high pitch like that of the X1E. 

Given the above, I wonder if I should choose Gen 9 CPU or Xeon CPU.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 367
Message 6 of 6

I have never found any high-power cpu/gpu combinations to be dead-silent.  I have little or no experience using Linux on a mobile workstation, so I hope someone else adds something.

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors