Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechByter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,580
Message 1 of 8

A BIOS update has harmed my ThinkPad P50

Normally I don't do BIOS updates unless there's a specific problem that I want to fix, but Lenovo's updater was so insistent that I decided to perform one this week. Bad idea.\

The computer is in a dock with 2 monitors attached. When the computer reboots, there is no display on the external monitors and the built-in monitor displays this message: "To interrupt normal startup, press Enter." I waited 10 minutes for the "normal startup" to continue. It didn't, so I pressed Enter.

Nothing happened.

Eventually, I found that removing the computer from the dock allows it to boot, but then plugging in into the dock results in many typeface size issues -- particularly for applications that start at boot time.

Further experimentation revealed that I can start the boot process with the computer out of the dock and then insert it into the dock as soon as the chasing dots appear on screen. Generally, this is successful. But it's hardly an ideal solution.

Is there some additional update that is needed to make the dock compatible with the computer or is there some way that I can roll back the BIOS update?

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,556
Message 2 of 8

Re: A BIOS update has harmed my ThinkPad P50

Hi,

Please indicate which BIOS version caused the problem.  System Update can lag the version on the download site, so I'd have to guess.

As to roll-back, earlier versions of the BIOS are linked at the bottom of the page.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-P-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-P...

There are  security mileposts that prevent rolling back very far, but hopefully one of the available choices will work for you.

- If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.38 or higher, it is no longer
  able to roll back to the version before 1.38 for security improvement.

- If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.29 or higher, it is no longer
  able to roll back to the version before 1.29 for security improvement.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

TechByter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,553
Message 3 of 8

Thanks!

I assume (bad thing to do) that it's 1.42, which was just released. I have a case open with Lenovo support, but they'll probably just want me to ship the computer back to them and I really don't want to do that. I'll wait for support to reply, but then -- later this week -- I'll try moving back to 1.40 and I'll check in with the results.

anvalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,500
Message 4 of 8

Is there anything else connected to the dock? Does it boot with disconnected mouse/keyboard/etc?

I have about the same problem. I use my P50 with an external monitor (no dock, connected via HDMI and USB) which acts as a USB hub for a keyboard and a mouse. The laptop doesn't boot in a usual way after the update to 1.42, the same story with "To interrupt normal startup, press Enter".

I did some tests and found out that this only happens if a USB device connected to a monitor. No mouse and no keyboard connected -- no problems. There is also no problem if they are connected directly to the laptop.

Something is wrong when a kind of a USB hub with plugged in devices connected to P50.

anvalo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,493
Message 5 of 8

Only a roll-back to 1.38 solved the problem. 

It seems I didn't update BIOS of my P50  since I received in December, so I missed 1.39 and 1.40.

TechByter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,473
Message 6 of 8

Thanks zoltanthegypsy, for the information, and anvalo, for details about which version of the BIOS actually works. Knowing that I had to roll back to 1.38 potentially saved several hours of frustration.

General rule: "Unless you're having a problem that can be traced to the BIOS, don't install an update." I know this rule and yet I ignored it. The problem seems to be with multiple external monitors, with or without the docking station. This isn't a particularly uncommon arrangement and it's surprising (and disappointing) that Lenovo's QA testing didn't identify the issue.

Rolling back the BIOS does require a BIOS edit to disable rollback protection.

So now I'm back to where I was two days ago, everything's working again, and the process wasted only about 2 hours. Smiley Mad

TechByter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,471
Message 7 of 8

No USB devices are connected to either monitor. Some USB devices are connected directly to the computer and disconnecting them had no effect. With the computer out of the dock, the boot process did not hang -- but the tricky part was getting the computer back into the dock before Windows started loading things that set the default screen resolution to match that of the super high res screen.
rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 1,462
Message 8 of 8

Glad to know this as I was not on 1.40 yet and now there is a 1.42 while this means we do not have the microcode fix for the cpu I can live with that at the moment and would much rather have my dock work. I have many things attached to the dock.
I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors