Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harbars
Paper Tape
Views: 196
Message 1 of 6

Access P50 BIOS when built in LCD/GPU is broken

Somewhat of a shot in the dark here.

I have a Lenovo p50 - about three years old. It's spent most of it's life in the dock, connected to two external monitors. All good so far.

However, it seems I have an issue with the discreet graphics GPU - there is no video from the built in LCD at all.  The LCD has been previously replaced and swapping it for another one which i know works makes no odds. the machine is useless out of the dock.  That's not OK, but i can deal with that until i replace the machine.

But for a couple of days, I am no longer getting any video from the dock outputs either. I can't get the machine to recognise those ports.

The machine otherwise is fine. I am RDPed onto it right now typing this message. I go into device manager in Windows and it reports Intel HD Graphics 530 as the display adaptor. It seems somehow the BIOS has flipped to discrete instead of hybrid.

But of course without the built in LCD, i can't get into the bios (or rather I can't see it!). Does anyone know of anything I can do to get this thing to display the BIOS on my external monitors?  Or perhaps force it via windows. I have tried connecting all the various ports (HDMI and DP) on the laptop directly to the monitors and all of the connections on the dock (HDMI, DP, DVI, D-sub) to no avail.

I've also done the whole, take the battery and coin cell battery out, leave it for a while, press the power button etc. But as I can't see the display after POST, i can't tell if that bios reset has occured etc.

thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 142
Message 2 of 6

Re: Access P50 BIOS when built in LCD/GPU is broken

I don't have a P50 to test with, but on most models with Phoenix BIOS you can get the BIOS (from the laptop, not the dock) to display on an external display with one of the ports (HDMI or DP) if you hit a key combination involving the F7 key.  It is either just F7 or Fn-F7 depending on other settings, but it just takes a second to try both.   If I needed to wager, I would bet it is the DP port, not the HDMI, but I don't remember for sure.  Sorry about being a little vague.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
harbars
Paper Tape
Views: 134
Message 3 of 6

thanks!

I've tried that with no luck - the various key combos with both DP and HDMI.

Of course I can't be sure I'm in the BIOS anyway. I think I am as I've hit enter until there is a beep following POST and then F1 to enter the BIOS. very frustrating! Smiley Happy

Guru
Views: 108
Message 4 of 6

You might try this sequence to restore default configuration settings:

1. Startup system and hit Enter until you hear a beep

2. Press F1 to get into the BIOS config (I know that you can't see this at all)

3.Press F9 to restore default config (this will put things back to hybrid and use the Intel GPU)

4. Press F10 to save the configuration

Hope that this helps.

Updated instructions.

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.15 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 32GB, RTX5000, 32GB, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 96
Message 5 of 6

@harrisb wrote:

4. Press F12 to save the configuration

F10 if it's the same as my other ThinkPads.  I don't havea  P50...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Guru
Views: 91
Message 6 of 6

It is F10 on the P50/70. Sorry for the error. Updated the original post instructions. Thanks

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.15 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 32GB, RTX5000, 32GB, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors