cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwburden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,948
Message 1 of 5

Add a fingerprint to a W530 that doesn't have one?

When shopping for a new(ish) laptop, one of the things that caused me to decide in favor of the W530 was the fingerprint reader. I shopped for a used one, and when it arrived I was disappointed that it did not have a fingerprint reader (turns out that when I was looking at pictures, I saw the square where the color sensor goes and assumed it was a fingerprint sensor like the one on the new Motorola phones.) Is it possible to replace the keyboard bezel and add a fingerprint sensor, or is it more complicated than that?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,902
Message 2 of 5

Re: Add a fingerprint to a W530 that doesn't have one?

They all have the biometric coprocessor.  You just remove one keyboard bezel and plug in the other one.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mwburden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,890
Message 3 of 5

Is the keyboard part of the bezel, or just the plastic around the keyboard?

Any idea where to look for one?

Thanks!!

EDIT:  Nevermind, I think I've found a couple.   It's easy to find bezels with the hole for the fingerprint reader, less easy to find bezels that have the fingerprint reader attached.   I should also price them separately -- it might be cheaper to buy them individually than together.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,875
Message 4 of 5

keyboard is separate and not related.  I would try eBay.  You can look for W530 or T530.  They are the same.

Some sellers don't know and they advertise 520 and 530 as being the same.  That is not true.  520 won't fit and the 530 power button won't work with 520 bezel.  (also the cutout for the card slot)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mwburden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,865
Message 5 of 5

Thank you, sir, you have been a great help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors