11-03-2018 05:11 PM
I had ordered a preconfigured system w/o RAID, but I knew that I could upgrade the unit to RAID 1 after receipt. Here's what I did:
1. Ordered an additional 1TB SSD with the same model number as in the unit
2. Backed up the entire primary drive using Acronis True Image 2019 (all partitions)
3. Installed the new NVMe SSD in the open slot (I also had to locate a M2-L2.5mm screw which had not been installed at the factory)
4. Rebooted into BIOS and changed the storage parameters from AHCI to RST
5. Defined the RAID volume configuration (RAID 1)
6. Rebooted systems from the Acronis backup media with the previously made image
7. Restored all the partitions and MBR
8. Rebooted the system (here things get a bit confusing)
9. Received an error from Windows that it couldn't access the boot drive (interesting since it just booted from that!)
10.Booted the system into Safe Mode (system came up)
11. Restarted the system from Safe Mode (system came up normally!)
12.Installed Intel RST driver and control panel package.
Hope this helps others who want to upgrade the P1.
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-05-2018 05:19 PM - edited 11-05-2018 05:21 PM
UPDATE: Posting a picture from Notebookcheck.com on a similar P1 which is also missing the SSD screw for the second slot:
11-05-2018 10:06 PM
Just for info, i ordered my P1 with 2 x 1TB preconfigured but it didn't come as raid config (couldn't even choose if or what type of raid I want) - also had to configure it manually like you did, but did a fresh install on the raid. Used a normal Win 10 Pro install medium, installed LAN driver using USB stick, then installed lenovo vantage, rest installed using update-feature of lenovo vantage. Win 10 Pro "upgraded" itself to a licenced Win 10 Pro for Workstations. Now all works like a charm, except the dock (Link).
01-18-2019 09:17 PM
harrisb, all I have to say is THANK YOU. Did the exact same thing as you (though using two new 970 pro's in RAID0) and following a macrium image / restore I kept getting BSOD. Rebooted in safe mode, then rebooted from safe mode, and everything works like a charm. You saved me a lot of time.