Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AltaGeek
Paper Tape
Views: 2,189
Message 1 of 8

After Win10 upgrade, NVIDIA driver install fails - cannot see NVIDIA HW

W530 Thinkpad.

I upgraded to Windows 10, then installed the various Lenovo support tools (system update, etc).  Ran those.

Then downloaded the NVIDIA drivers for Win10, 64bit system and ran the installer.  The install proceeded for a little while, then stopped with a message that the compatible graphics hardware could not be found. 

I do not see NVIDIA hardware listed in device manager under display.

Suggestions on how to proceed welcomed!

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,172
Message 2 of 8

Re: After Win10 upgrade, NVIDIA driver install fails - cannot see NVIDIA HW

Go into the BIOS, Config -> Display, and set "discrete graphics", and Optimus legacy OS to DISABLED.

This will eliminate the built-in Intel HD graphics from your W530, leaving only the nVidia graphics for which that retail nVidia driver will now be very happy.

Of course nVidia graphics uses more power than Intel graphics, so you may not want to do this if you run on battery much of the time. Or, just plug the laptop in when you use it and you won't have a problem. You'll now always be getting best possible graphics performance. Note that even if on battery, you should have at least 2-3 hours of portable use when using nVidia graphics, depending on the apps you run and other power manager settings to conserve power.  But I just run plugged into the wall and don't have a concern.

AltaGeek
Paper Tape
Views: 2,155
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for this guidance.  I reset the BIOS as suggested and then, while loogged in as Administrator and in Safe Mode, I installed the Win10, 64bit NVIDIA driver.  On restart in normal mode, all seems to be OK.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,151
Message 4 of 8

Excellent.

Just remember, if you are often running in battery/portable mode, the nVidia graphics do use more power than the Intel graphics.  So your "max battery lifetime" will be less, before requiring a recharge.

But if you have no problem simply plugging the laptop into wall power and running that way, you'll have nothing to worry about.  And you'll always be getting maximum graphics performance.

For your information, note that the BIOS provides three ways to configure graphics:

(1) built-in "internal graphics only" Intel HD Graphics mode, and nVidia graphics does not even exist.  Device Manager only shows Intel.  This is perhaps the machine default and perhaps why you couldn't install the nVidia driver originally, since the nVidia hardware appears not even to exist.

(2) Optimus mode, where BOTH the Intel HD Graphics as well as nVidia graphcs exist in Device Manager.  This requires the use of the Optimus video driver, which supports use of Intel graphics (and the Intel graphics driver) for most situations unless graphics performance demand justifies that the higher-performing nVidia graphics (controlled by the nVidia graphics driver) get kicked into operation. In theory this provides a compromise in performance that yields maximum battery lifetime and "generally acceptable" Intel grpahics performance, while still getting nVidia graphics performance occasionally if really required or if you've configured nVidia Control Panel 3D-settings to always use nVidia graphics for specific programs.  My experience with this Optimus mode and setting up nVidia Control Panel to have forced programs to trigger nVidia graphics on the W530 is that it is not reliable.

(3) discrete graphics mode (which is what I suggested you use), where only the nVidia graphics appears in Device Manager.  The built-in Intel HD Graphics has been "disappeared" from the machine.  You are only using the nVidia graphics driver, period.  This approach guarangees optimal maximum performance using nVidia graphics 100% of the time, at the obvious cost of shorter maximum battery lifetime if you run that way.  But plugged into wall power, this is the way the machine should run, and is the way I run my own W530.

Anyway, glad you got it working on your W530 with Win10.  I'm sticking with Win7 Pro on my machine.

domehead100
What's DOS?
Views: 2,125
Message 5 of 8

What driver are you using?  I had the same problem with my W530 after switching to Windows 10 x64, but even in discrete-only mode I could not get any of my three external monitors to work.  I had the Nvidia showing up in device manager without errors, and I had the Nvidia Control Panel, but on the Nvidia Control panel I did not have any options for external monitors (the whole "Setup multiple displays" was missing entirely).

I ended up rolling back, after much experimentation, to the 335.23 driver (9.18.13.3523 in device manager).  This is the only one I could get to drive the multiple monitors.  Unfortunately, I was getting regular crashes from mostly Windows Presentation Foundation applications like Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, etc., which make heavy use of hardware graphics acceleration.  I tracked down to issues with the display driver.  For now, I've turned off hardware graphics acceleration on all of these apps and they've stopped crashing, but the user experience isn't as good. 

I'm running in Optimus mode on the 335.23 driver, but I tried both Optimus and Discrete Only on the more current drivers (I tried every one between 335.23 and the most current 353.82 driver and could not get the multiple monitors to work at all (spent many, many hours trying).  I even tried the beta 355.60 driver to no avail.  

I also had to go into group policy to disallow installing any drivers that I haven't specifically allowed because Windows Update kept re-installing the current driver and then I'd lose the multiple monitor support.

As a note, I just noticed there is an even newer 355.85 driver, I'm going to try that and try working back from that again, making 100% sure my bios is in discrete only mode, and see where I end up.  I also upgraded the Bios and the Intel GPU drivers while trying to get this to work with no joy.

AltaGeek
Paper Tape
Views: 2,108
Message 6 of 8

I am using NVIDIA driver 353.62 and successfully using both the laptop screen and an external monitor via displayport-1.

domehead100
What's DOS?
Views: 2,064
Message 7 of 8

After some windows updates have been applied, now the default driver installed by windows update (10.18.13.5362 from 22July 2015) is working with multiple monitors.  

Interestingly, in the Nvidia Control Panel app, previously under the "Set up multiple displays" I would see my laptop screen as well as the three external monitors that I have connected.  Now I only see the external monitors, so only the monitors that are running on the Nvidia graphics.  (I'm running in Optimus mode, so the laptop screen is running on the built-in Intel graphics and the external monitors are running in discrete mode, which is the Nvidia card).

Looks to me like something that came in a windows update has fixed the problem.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,058
Message 8 of 8

@domehead100 wrote:

After some windows updates have been applied, now the default driver installed by windows update (10.18.13.5362 from 22July 2015) is working with multiple monitors.  

Interestingly, in the Nvidia Control Panel app, previously under the "Set up multiple displays" I would see my laptop screen as well as the three external monitors that I have connected.  Now I only see the external monitors, so only the monitors that are running on the Nvidia graphics.  (I'm running in Optimus mode, so the laptop screen is running on the built-in Intel graphics and the external monitors are running in discrete mode, which is the Nvidia card).

Looks to me like something that came in a windows update has fixed the problem.

The Windows Update driver (10.18.13.5362 from 22July 2015) is 353.62.  The latest retail driver from nVidia is 353.82.  I suspect you can install 353.82 and things will work just as well.

Why are you running in Optimus mode with three external monitors that are already managed by the NVidia graphics? Why not just run "discrete graphics" (one of the resl benefits of still having a W530 instead of a newer W540+) and be an all-nVidia 100% setup, to handle the laptop screen with the nVidia graphics as well?  What value is there to running the Intel grpahics for the laptop screen when it's unnecessary?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors