Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adda
Punch Card
Views: 2,001
Message 51 of 63

Re: All W540s have a performance throttling issue

There are two ways of doing that.

Test the CPU with Prime95, one thread, and use the task managers "set affinity" feature, to select which core Prime95 is run on.

Test all cores one by one, let them heat up till the temps are stable, do all cores reach similar max temperatures?

To speed up testing, and to do some serious stability testing at the same time, run furmark too, on the same core as Prime95 is on, that'll heat it up in no time.

Also, when you remove the cooler, look at the pressure pattern in the paste on the core and cooler pad.

You should see a pattern centered around the middle of the core, kind of an oval shape, if the pattern is centered at the edge or corner of the core, then the cooler doesn't fit properly.

armyofevilrobot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,838
Message 52 of 63

@Adda wrote:

I can make my W510 throttle at low temps as well, all it requires is a poorly fitted cooler.

Umm, it doesn't make much sense. How does it determine that your cooler is "poorly fitted"?

A poorly fitted cooler won't work well, temperatures will climb, and throttling will kick in sooner than it otherwise would.

^Edited to clarify, I don't necessarily think that they have badly fitted coolers, probably just underdesigned cooling, but I had an ASUS with a loose cooler and it ran slow/hot, so this could happen here too.

zalbard
Punch Card
Views: 1,822
Message 53 of 63

Yeah, I am not really buying this argument.

I wish Lenovo would fix Intel XTU settings not sticking after reboot, this little program helps quite a bit otherwise!
Adda
Punch Card
Views: 1,785
Message 54 of 63

Having faith in Lenovo will only get you dissapointed.

Why don't you check it out for your self, prove that the W540 is throttling for no reason at all?

h2k
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,688
Message 55 of 63

Has a fix for this been released yet?

I am sitting here with a i7-4900QM and feeling like the i7-4700QM outperforms it because it throttles down less than my i7-4900QM, which would be a scandal for lenovo if you ask me....

zalbard
Punch Card
Views: 1,648
Message 56 of 63

Nope, still nothing from Lenovo.

zalbard
Punch Card
Views: 1,543
Message 57 of 63

As of the latest UEFI 2.11, Intel XTU undervolting settings still reset after every reboot. :\
unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 1,508
Message 58 of 63

@zalbard wrote:
We shouldn't have to use ThrottleStop on workstation laptops... It is the last resort measure, not a solution.

Why is ThrottleStop not a solution?  It fixes the throttling problem this laptop has and the latest version lets you adjust the CPU core voltage.  You can add it to your start up sequence using the Task Scheduler and unlike XTU, it works!  Your voltage will be set to whatever you like whether you boot up or resume from stand by or hibernate.  ThrottleStop consumes far less resources compared to XTU so leaving it running all the time will never be noticed.

http://i.imgur.com/32MAd1D.png

All ThrottleStop is doing is it monitors a handful of registers in your CPU to make sure they are all at the Intel specified values so your CPU can run at the speed that Intel designed it to run at.  ThrottleStop can not be set up to prevent your CPU from throttling when it needs to throttle because it is too hot.  No software can prevent an Intel CPU from protecting itself from overheating.

I agree that you shouldn't have to use it on a workstation class laptop but it solves a lot of problems and it does this very efficiently.  It also has an ExitTime= INI option so you could use it to set your CPU voltage when you boot up and then immediately exit.  As weeks and months go by, it continues to be the "only" solution.

h2k - As for the 4900MQ vs 4700MQ, both have a TDP rating of 47W.  When fully loaded, both CPUs are going to be throttled to 47W and both will run at pretty much the exact same speed.  For single threaded apps the 4900MQ will have an advantage but most people don't spend the extra money for a hyper-threaded Quad core processor to run single thread apps.  If you are doing some 3D rendering or using any app that fully loads your CPU, a 4900MQ is a waste of money because of the TDP power limit.  You can blame Intel for that.  They set the TDP to the same 47W value for the 4700MQ, 4800MQ and 4900MQ.

Edit - Here's a comparison with both XTU and ThrottleStop minimized to the system tray.  XTU is consuming over 100 times as much memory.  It also consumes far more CPU cycles without accomplishing nearly as much.

http://i.imgur.com/xmdyFe7.png

zalbard
Punch Card
Views: 1,467
Message 59 of 63

@unclewebb wrote:

@zalbard wrote:
We shouldn't have to use ThrottleStop on workstation laptops... It is the last resort measure, not a solution.

Why is ThrottleStop not a solution?  It fixes the throttling problem this laptop has and the latest version lets you adjust the CPU core voltage.

Ideally, I would like a 2000+ EUR laptop to not throttle out of the box, without having to tinker with any 3rd party software. But that would require Lenovo fixing their UEFI. That would be a solution. Although, I am starting to doubt this will happen.

Therefore, software workarounds are the next best thing.

The only reason I preferred XTU over TS (so far) was because I could undervolt the CPU a bit to reduce heat output of the machine. However, since TS 7.00 apparently supports undervolting as well, I would be happy to give it a try. Do you have a download link? :-)

unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 1,456
Message 60 of 63

ThrottleStop 7.00 beta 2

http://www.mediafire.com/download/439yz2akf0uzd7e/ThrottleStop_700b2.zip

This version has CPU voltage and multiplier control for the 4th Gen Haswell CPUs but it does not yet have cache voltage adjustment.  Just another option to try.  Waiting for Lenovo to come up with solutions for issues is way too time consuming.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors