zalbard
Punch Card
Views: 1,271
Message 61 of 63

Re: All W540s have a performance throttling issue

@unclewebb wrote:

ThrottleStop 7.00 beta 2

http://www.mediafire.com/download/439yz2akf0uzd7e/ThrottleStop_700b2.zip

This version has CPU voltage and multiplier control for the 4th Gen Haswell CPUs but it does not yet have cache voltage adjustment.  Just another option to try.  Waiting for Lenovo to come up with solutions for issues is way too time consuming.

Nice, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Another option perhaps worth considering is iGPU dynamic voltage offset - it's also available in XTU.

nothrottle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,256
Message 62 of 63

I have been lurking for a while wondering whether to post this. I returmed my W540 for a full refund due to this issue. I then purchased a Dell M4800... the difference is night and day. In my real world stress test (Large scale multithreaded C++ compilation) my W540 would quickly drop to base clock. The M4800 on the other hand maintains full quadcore turbo (3.4Ghz!!). It remains pegged at full turbo even for extended periods of compiling.

Interestingly in synthetic tests (prime95) the M4800 does slowly drop back to base clock over a period of a few minutes. Still better than the W540 which would drop back almost instantly.

So I would re-iterate that throttlestop should not be neccesary in a workstation class laptop. Other manufacturers prove this, and Lenovo needs to acknowledge it has an issue here.

Adda
Punch Card
Views: 1,217
Message 63 of 63

notrottle said:

"So I would re-iterate that throttlestop should not be neccesary in a workstation class laptop. Other manufacturers prove this, and Lenovo needs to acknowledge it has an issue here."

Lenovo won't even admit there is a problem, and no fix will come, if you decide to wait for Lenovo to solve this problem, it will be in vain.

Lenovo never fixed or even admitted there is a problem with W510/520/530, so why would the W540 be any different?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors