11-06-2009 02:57 PM
Good news (I hope! )...I believe I have found the offending service. Since I disabled it, my audio has been totally fine.
I'll wait through the weekend to confirm and then re-enable it to confirm that it is the culprit when the problem re-appears.
11-19-2009 01:19 PM
For me the culprit was my antivirus program, Webroot AntiSpyware with AntiVirus.
Once uninstalled, the problem never reoccurred. I always performed a software update check to ensure I had the latest version.
I switched to Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus, but I recently noticed a "Now Windows 7 Compatible" tag on the Webroot site. I don't know how long it has been there, but I'm not willing to risk it.
11-22-2009 09:13 AM
I use the "Internet Security" version of AVG. I've been using it for several months and I really like it. There was a short span where the "Anti-Spam" component was broken, but that has been fixed. There is a 30 day free trial.