cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ErnstM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,745
Message 1 of 6

BIOS settings changed: No splash screen, screen stays black on booting: P52 bricked!

Today, my new Lenovo P52 arrived. It started like a charm, but I want to use Linux, so I entered

BIOS configuration via F1 key during boot and switched off EFI. The USB stick appeared in the boot

menu called up via F12, but Linux failed to load from it. Again, I entered BIOS config and changed

thinks. After saving, the reset would end with a black screen, the LEDs in the Esc and F1 keys lighted.

Turning off (pressing the power button) and on again: No splash screen, nothing displayed on the screen.

A BIOS setting seems to cause the notebook to fail booting, even to fail showing up the splash screen and

suggesting to press some special key.

Any way to return to a working BIOS configuration and unbrick the new P52?

Kind regards,

Ernst

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,699
Message 2 of 6

Re: BIOS settings changed: No splash screen, screen stays black on booting: P52 bricked!

Unplug and remove the battery.  Remove the bottom door.  On the right side, you will see the coin cell battery  on the right side.  Unplug it and wait a minute, while you press the power button a couple of times.  Put it back together.  This will revert BIOS settings to the defaults.  You will need to set date and time.  Also, if you have set a supervisor password, it will be required to proceed.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ErnstM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,682
Message 3 of 6

Re: BIOS settings changed: No splash screen, screen stays black on booting: P52 bricked!

Thank you loads for your suggestion. Sadly enough, nothing changed: I have disconnected the CMOS battery, 

waited for an hour, pressed the power switch time and again, re-connected the battery, closed the cover, supplied 

power and switched the notebook on - black screen, with a single white pixel in the left upper corner of the screen

shining. 

Still, the notebook is bricked. I'd love to receive other suggestions; otherwise, I'll have to return the device.

I'm conviced no BIOS setting whatsoever should result in a bricked computer, under any circumstances. I've been using Toshiba notebooks for decades, maybe I should not have switched over to Lenovo.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

maybe  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,663
Message 4 of 6

I assume you left it on for a couple of minutes after trying to start.  If the device has Intel AMT, BIOS options changes can cause that to reset, which takes some time.  Also, memory configuration is dynamically configured whenever it changes.  That takes some time and BIOS changes or reset can affect that.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ErnstM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,655
Message 5 of 6

Dear richk,

thank you loads for you help. When I started the device after following the procedure you have been so kind as to suggest,

the one single pixel in the left upper corner of the screen lit up immediately, the leds in the Esc, F1 and F4 key lit up, the latter two

for just a short period of time, the hard disk led blinked for  maybe a quarter of a second, but then, nothing else happened

for about a quarter of an hour, with the exception of a very low sound of the fans started after about 30 seconds. 

Really sad, I have not been able to arrive at a splash screen, let alone a BIOS config, with the device. Again, thank you

very much for your help. I'd be more than happy to follow other suggestions  ...

Again, I'm absolutely taken aback by the fact that a notebook that worked like a charm has been bricked by nothing 

but selecting a BIOS config offered by the BIOS menue. I don't think I'll be able to develop trust into the stable function of 

the Lenovo P52 I have chosen to buy after an intense comparison of different notebooks. I feel I've made a mistake, and

and expensive one. 

Best regards,

Ernst

ErnstM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,575
Message 6 of 6

Just as an addendum: I have received a replacment Lenovo P52. This time, I have not changed more than one single setting in the BIOS and after each and every change, I did a "Save and Reboot" step. As suggested by the BIOS help appearing in the right quarter of the BIOS screen for users who want to install Linux (I certainly do want to use Linux), I changed the "BIOS support for Thunderbolt" from "Disabled" to "Enabled". A note appeared saying that the reconfiguration would take up to 15 seconds. The reboot led to a dark screen, with but a small white dash in the upper left corner, and nothing changed for about 45 minutes. Switching off an back on again led to the same state: No Thinkpad logo appears on booting, the screen stays black as hell, no discernible reaction on pressing functions keys F1, F4 or any of them.

The device obviously has been bricked by selecting an option suggested by the BIOS help text.

Very sad. Lenovo is not an option for me. I'll send the device back for a refund.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors