Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrentFromRiD
Not applicable
Views: 1,450
Message 1 of 10

Backlit Keyboard for W540 Doesn't Work

Howdy, so I work in the IT department at my university and we are currently testing the W540 for the incomin freshmen. I know that I have the backlit model (04Y2465 - Backlit KBD US English Liteon- Secondary), yet the backlight for the keyboard does not work. I can see the icons appear on the screen when I use fn + space, but it makes no difference. We've handled W530s, of which all have working backlights for their keyboards.

Does anyone know of any solutions for this? Problem is occuring on the 20BG and the 20BH.

CPU: i7-4800MQ

RAM: 20GB 1600MHz

GFX: Quadro K2100M 

Storage:  256GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Display: 15.5" 2880 x 1620

Keyboard: 04Y2465 - Backlit KBD US English Liteon- Secondary

richk
Not applicable
Views: 1,407
Message 2 of 10

Re: Backlit Keyboard for W540 Doesn't Work

I don't have a W540 to look at, but check the BIOS, under config. There should be an option related to the keyboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TrentFromRiD
Not applicable
Views: 1,397
Message 3 of 10

I checked the BIOS and there is no option related to the backlight. The only options shown under Keyboard/Mouse is enabling/disabling the TrackPoint/Trackpad, and the fn and control swap.

richk
Not applicable
Views: 1,382
Message 4 of 10

Closest I have is a w530. Bottom entry is keyboard illumination control.

Do you have the latest BIOS? Your comment about W520 is confusing. There was no backlight available. Are you giving the assembly parts list, the model description or the actual part number? Does the light icon on the spacebar point up or down?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

TrentFromRiD
Not applicable
Views: 1,378
Message 5 of 10

Good call on the W520 mistake, I was mixing that one up with something else. Yes, my BIOS are up-to-date.

FRU Part Number: 04Y2465

Description: Backlit KBD US English Liteon- Secondary

I used the W540 FRU List for the 20BG and 20BH.

EDIT: I'm not sure what you mean by the light icon, unless you're referring to the icon physically printed onto the spacebar itself. In that case, the light rays are pointing up.

Also, we've given out 3 W540s to teachers and my boss also has one as well, and they all are having the same issue.

richk
Not applicable
Views: 1,356
Message 6 of 10

Yes. I was talking about the one printed on the spacebar. I thought there might be an assembly error on the machine, but your description sounds correct. I have heard about a similar error on a 530 machine and it was a motherboard problem that required replacing the board.  I assume you know that the turn-on key sequence is Fn+spacebar.

Rich

TrentFromRiD
Not applicable
Views: 1,353
Message 7 of 10

What are the chances that 5 W540s, each ordered on a different date, would experience that same exact problem, on both the 20BG and the 20BH models?

EDIT: And yes, I know how the backlight it meant to be turned on (fn + space bar). The animation does show up on my display, but nothing changes as far as the backlight's status.

richk
Not applicable
Views: 1,322
Message 8 of 10

Chances? I have no clue. Without a w540 to look at, that was all I could think of.

Rich

TrentFromRiD
Not applicable
Views: 1,301
Message 9 of 10

Do you know if there is an email I could contact to find a more direct answer for this issue?

richk
Not applicable
Views: 1,290
Message 10 of 10

No. If it is under warranty, call support at 1-800-426-7378 (U.S.)

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors