Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HenrikEkman
Paper Tape
Views: 456
Message 1 of 5

Basic question: Lenovo P73 and upgrade 3rd HDD to SSD

Dear Experts,

Apologies for "very basic question", but I need to consult experts in here.

I just bought Lenonovo P73 mobile workstation with 1Tb 1st drive, 1Tb 2nd drive and an option of 3rd drive being 1Tb 5400rpm HDD.

I have not yet even received my new P73, and I was suprised that there were no option to order the 3rd drive as SSD, only as HDD. So what I did (maybe I was stupid), I bought it with a basic 1Tb 5400rpm HDD 7mm so I could upgrade it with the SSD as soon as I get it.

Questions:

1) Am I buying the right compoment to replace the 3rd drive if I buy Samsung 1Tb EVO 860 SSD, Sata3 ?

https://www.samsung.com/fi/memory-storage/860-evo-sata-3-2-5-ssd/MZ-76E1T0BEU/ 

2) Or what brand you recommend to buy?

3) Where I can find information how can I do it? How to open the P73 and practical steps to do (what ever is needed to be done in BIOS - wherever) to make it work?

Or do I just need to go to a some IT workshop so they could do it for me...

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 425
Message 2 of 5

Re: Basic question: Lenovo P73 and upgrade 3rd HDD to SSD

Hello!

1) Yes, this is compatible;
Since you ordered your machine with basic drive preinstalled, all cables will be there;

2) Samsung is good [all-around] choice;

They are pretty fast; They do fail from time to time, like everything else [ i had maybe 3-4 fails per 100 drives deployed ] which is decent number;  There are cheaper options out there; There are more specialized options out there; There are higher (top) capacities available out there;

But overall, Samsung is OK+;

3) It is fairly straight forward process; Takes maybe five minutes; Open the panel (undo 6-7 screws), you'll see the drive, replace, replace the panel; done; Take your time, and you'll be alright;

Nothing is needed to be done to the BIOS;

Here is a video of guy doing nvme & hard drive replacement on P72; Chasis are similar;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1E4X_lF5TA

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
HenrikEkman
Paper Tape
Views: 399
Message 3 of 5

Hi Agazpp,

Amazing! Within few hours you replied - with a perfect answer to my question. 

Looks like I can do it even by myself. Thank you!

HenrikEkman
Paper Tape
Views: 242
Message 4 of 5

As a final follow-up, I finally got my new P73 computer, and I placed the order with the 3rd hard drive (7mm thick). And I went to a shop and bought Samsung 860 EVO 1Tb.

I opened the bottom plate of the P73. Removed the HDDand replaced with the SSD and the rubber bumber and the SATA cable were there waiting for me. Reboot and no need to go to BIOS. But the 3rd drive were not there and I got confused, but I forgot that there is need to go to disgmgmt.msc application and to initialize the SSD. After this little trick, I do have the 1Tb SSD :-)

I'm happy! The computer is FAST. three 1Tb SSD drives :-)

HenrikEkman
Paper Tape
Views: 164
Message 5 of 5

A little follow-up: After few weeks, the third SSD is working just fine.

One thing what I did more was that in the Samsung EVO 860 package there were a piece of paper that said that there is in Samsung's website a Magician SW that can be used to update/keep the SSD firmware up to date.

I downloaded the SW tool and it noted that there's a new FW for the Samsung EVO 860, and with help of that I updated the FW prior uploading any data into the SSD. Interestingly the SW also detected that there were already two other Samsung's SSDs (two 1Tb each) in my computer. So that indicates Lenovo uses the Samsung's SSDs.

But I did not proceed to update any FW of the original SSD drives. Just in case... I did not want to ruin my computer "out of the box" :-)

Rgrds, Henrik

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors