Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,702
Message 1 of 10

Battery/AC Adapter Problem on P70

I am having trouble with the battery not charging on my Thinkpad P70.  This problem started after installing BIOS 2.21.  It not clearly the battery or the adapter.  It appears to be software.  This is what I know:

1. The device charges Ok when it is turned off.  I note that the green light by the power connection is green except when it is running.  Then it is off.  It appears that it turns off when Windows 10 boots.  So typically, it is fully charged again (but on battery) after it has been off a while.

2. I have done the remove battery and adapter / hold power button procedure several times.

3. I have measured the voltage at the connector (rectangular with yellow insert) end and it is 20.42 V.  This seems consistent with what I found on the forum for a cylindrical power connector.

4. Once it came up as connected, but still said not charging.  I cannot duplicate that.

5. I cannot run it with the battery out.  It begins to start up, even getting into Windows, but then turns off.

6. I have run the Windows 10 battery report.  There were no problems until 2017-12-31, with its consistently being 100% at both Active and Suspended before that.  (It is almost always plugged in, and virtually never used on battery alone.)  The event that preceeded the problem was installing BIOS 2.21.  Now it discharges while runnng, and is charged after being off.

7. I would like to revert the BIOS to 2.19, the version that was working before 21-31-2017, but it won't let me do it without the power adapter connected.

8. There is a restore point on 2017-12-31.  However, when I try to restore to there, it fails.  It suggests that it is the virus software, but it still fails with Defender disabled.  It also will not restore to earlier restore points.  This might be owing to the BIOS change.

9. I also have a fairly recent System Image.  I am not sure if I can restore that without the adapter, and it would certainly take longer than the battery life of about 2 hr to run.  Perhaps only the UFEI part can be restored.  This is out of my experience, however.

10. The 2.21. BIOS has been reset using F9, and only the Graphics Device -> Discrete Graphics and Fn and Ctrl Key swap set to enabled after.  (How they have been set for some time.)

11. The computer is relatively new for the battery or adapter to be going.  It is just out of its 1-year warranty, in fact.

Any sage advice would be much appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,669
Message 2 of 10

Re: Battery/AC Adapter Problem on P70

Is the AC adapter original Lenovo?  What is the wattage?  Do you have Lenovo Companion or Lenovo Vantage installed?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,640
Message 3 of 10

@richk wrote:

Is the AC adapter original Lenovo?  What is the wattage?  Do you have Lenovo Companion or Lenovo Vantage installed?

The adaper is the original  (230 W, 20 V).  I have Lenovo Companion, Update, and Vantage installed.

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,610
Message 4 of 10

A slight correction: The small power light by the power connection is green when the computer is off.  (When off it charges fine.)  The light turns off as soon as you press the start button -- before the Lenovo logo appears and before it boots imto windows. Sometimes it is yellow first for a moment.

Thus, it appears to never be on when the computer is on.  This prevents restoring the BIOS or any other way to restore a working state (such as restoring a system image).

There is every indication this was caused by the BIOS update to 2.21. But since the adapter is not connected as soon as it starts now, there is no way I have found to restore the BIOS to 2.19, which would likely fix it.

This is the essential problem.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,599
Message 5 of 10

Hello,

I don't have a ThinkPad P71 myself, but I am wondering if the system may have been put into Airplane Mode at some point?  In Airplane Mode, that unit will not charge while turned on because the wattage of the power supply exceeds what the outlets provide (up to 75 watts for most airlines).  Disabling Airplane Mode tells the high-wattage ThinkPad that it's on "normal" power outlet1 and can be charged from its AC power adapter.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1 Usually 1,800W in a US residental 15A circuit, but obviously differs from location to location.

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,591
Message 6 of 10

Yes, it is possibly acting as if Airplane Mode were on.  However, it currently is not on.

I found it in Airplane Mode at one time and thought I had fixed it.  I believe that is the one time I had AC power (but not charging).  Currently I don't have AC power whether Airplane Mode is on or off.

There is another aspect to this problem I didn't mention to keep it simple.  I was trying to use Bluetooth for the first time was what started all this.  The Bluetooth was screwed up in Device Manager.  I believe this was from the factory setup.  I installed the Lenovo Bluetooth Driver but it didn't fix the problem.  I believe this driver is bad.  Though it said it was successful, it did not appear in Apps & Features (where it should have been able to be uninstalled).  It is sometime around getting this bad driver that I installed the 2.21 BIOS (because it appeared in Lenovo update).

On doing a Battery Check on Windows, I found the battery started discharging at just about the time of these two changes.

I eventually fixed the Bluetooth driver problem in other ways, one of which was to install the latest driver from Intel.  (This one fixes the UI problems and does appear in Apps & Features as it should.)

Among the UI problems is that the Bluetooth on/off button did not appear in Settings for Airplane Mode.  The Intel driver fixed that, but I still can't pair Bluetooth devices.  There is a separate topic at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp07_en/page/1/thread-id/71644 on this.

The relevant item is that there may be a relationship between the Bluetooth and Airplane Mode, and the bad Lenovo driver may have screwed something up.

I have a Restore Point just about when the problems started, but when I try to restore it, it fails.  This may be owing to the BIOS change.  I don't believe I've ever had problems restoring before (over the years).  I have not tried System Restore in Safe Mode or through Recovery (under Troubleshooting|Advanced) because I am unsure that I might screw it up further.  I would be more comfortable getting the AC power problem fixed first.  I didn't really need the BIOS update anyway.  Apart from Bluetooth, things were working fine.

I am out of my guarantee by about a month.  There is a clear problem with the Lenovo Bluetooth driver (which was apparently installed at the factory) and likely with the 2.21 BIOS.  I assume they will not talk to me.

Bottom line: I would really like to restore the BIOS as I don't need the new one and it may be causing the AC adapter problem.  With power working, I can try other ways to do a System Restore or ultimately restore the System Image if necessary.

A further question: the System Image has the UEFI partition   Will restoring that restore the BIOS or is it elsewhere?

Thanks for your help.  I will try poking around and see if something related to Airplane Mode is causing the AC problem.

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,573
Message 7 of 10

@KennethEvans wrote:

Yes, it is possibly acting as if Airplane Mode were on.  However, it currently is not on.

Thanks for your help.  I will try poking around and see if something related to Airplane Mode is causing the AC problem.

I think I found it!  In poking around I found the Power Setting was Airplane.  (I didn't do that, and in addition Airplane Mode is off.)  I reset it to Balanced (what I normally use) and the power light by the connector came on and it now says "(plugged-in)".

As to BIOS 2.21, the instructions (which I didn't see since Lenovo Update did it) say it is important, so leaving it should be good.  I also found there is a BIOS setting, Secure Rollback Prevention = enabled, which might have interfered with restoring it anyway.

Thanks again to goretsky for pointing me in the right direction.

Fatboy99
Paper Tape
Views: 2,195
Message 8 of 10

I have a P70 and have the same problem (battery will not charge if it is turned on).  KennthEvans, how exactly did you change the "power setting".  When I look at the sliding scale of power settings, I don't get the choices that you did (I have "battery saver", "better battery", "better performance" and "best performance".  I do not have airplane mode on. 

I will also say that this happened when I was on an airplane, running out of battery, and the computer shuts down.  I turned it back on and ran it until the battery was completely dead.  Ever since I have not been able to charge when the comptuter is on.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

KennethEvans
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,163
Message 9 of 10

I had a new Power Plan named Airplane, and it was set to use that one even though Airplane Mode was off.  (I had only turned it on to see what would happen.  I wasn't on an airplane, and I immediately turned it off.)  I eventually fixed it by resetting it to use my old plan.  I did not change the Airplane plan.

I still have the Airplane plan (under Show additional plans), but in looking at it now, under Change plan settings | Change advanced power setting I don't see anywhere to set this and the settings look the same as my usual plan.

It's possible Lenovo does something when this is the power plan, but I don't know.

If you are having this problem with a plan that is not named Airplane, you could try creating a new plan.

The bottom line is I don't know where the setting that turns off the charging is located.

Fatboy99
Paper Tape
Views: 2,149
Message 10 of 10

Thanks KennethEvans. I ended up figuring this out. It was under "power options" and there is an arrow to open up other settings where it shows the radio button was selected for airplane mode that did the trick!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors