Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeynavy1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,501
Message 1 of 8

Battery Drain When Unplugged and Turned Off

Is it normal for these laptops to still draw a noticeable amount of battery power when shut off?  I notice that when I turn it off for travel that a few percent is lost when I turn it back on a few hours later.  I turned it off around 1:30 pm yesterday afternoon (unplugged) and when I turned it on at 7:30 am this morning it was charging, starting at 93% (7% loss).  Do I have a setting not enabled to prevent it from eating battery when turned off?  What devices still draw that much power when turned off?

mikeynavy1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,443
Message 2 of 8

Re: Battery Drain When Unplugged and Turned Off

Any thoughts?

Guru
Views: 4,440
Message 3 of 8

You didn't provide any information about your computer model, OS or BIOS version, but you could take a look at this:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-74107

Even if this is not relevant a BIOS upgrade could be an idea if you don't already have the latest version. Also check your BIOS settings to make sure wake on lan is disabled or only enabled when connected with a power cord.

If neither of this suggestions solve your problem it could be useful with some info about your computer.

-gan

mikeynavy1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,424
Message 4 of 8

Thanks.  THe following are the specifics on my machine:

W510 4318 CTO

8GB Memory

500GB 7200 RPM hard drive

FHD screen

Core i7 820QM

I have the latest BIOS and just disabled the wake on lan function, although it was already set at only enabled with AC.  Any other thoughts on why the battery drains so fast when turned off?  Could it be the USB ports being "Always On?"

Guru
Views: 4,412
Message 5 of 8

Yes i would suggest turning off USB always on as well. Not sure if this is the main problem here, but it will use some power so worth a try. I presume by shutting off you mean a shutdown and not standby?

Your computer is pretty much the same as mine, but hard to compare since i always use standby and standby will drain the battery.

-gan

mikeynavy1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,405
Message 6 of 8

Thanks....I guess I'll try that.  Oh...and yes...it is drawing power after a shutdown...NOT standbySmiley Happy

EphesiansSIx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,326
Message 7 of 8

Disabling the "Always on USB" feature fixed the problem on both my Lenovo x201 and a Toshiba netbook.

In the latest X201 BIOS the option is under Config --> USB --> Always on USB

greggebhardt
Serial Port
Views: 627
Message 8 of 8

I am seeing a 30-35% drop in a week while my P51 is turned off and in a drawer.  Has not always happened so I am thinking it is a software update that toggled something.  After a month sitting in the drawer, my P51's battery was dead, 0%!!!  I know that is not good on my battery.  I turned off the always on USB thinking that was the problem but it was not.

Maybe something in the bios but 30-35% drop in a week is way too much.  My W serires would only see may 5% loss in a week.

Help if you can

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors