Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goffro89
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,071
Message 1 of 23

Battery NOT Re-Charging for ThinkPad P71

I have a BRAND NEW ThinkPad P71.  The A/C adaptor is plugged into the laptop and the green light next to it is illuminated.  On the screen in the lower right hand there is the Lenovo Vantage battery icon showing the percentage of power level in the battery.  There is also the system battery icon in all white showing the same power level when you hover over it.  BOTH icons display, "plugged in, not charging" and I have confirmed the outlet my laptop is plugged into is working properly to supply power.  When I unplug the A/C adaptor and the battery power percentage reduces and after plugging the A/C adaptor back into laptop the battery power percentage does not increase.

I have also done what Lenovo recommends which is to unplug the adaptor, remove the battery, and re-engage BUT nothing has changed.  For some reason the battery is simply not re-charging.  Anyone else have this problem OR does anyone know another solution?  

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,042
Message 2 of 23

Re: Battery Charging for ThinkPad P71

Win7 or Win10?  Probably the latter.

Is the latest Power Management Driver (for 7/10) installed?  Power Manager (for 7) installed?

Barring a defective battery or some other hardware issue with your P71 (and worst case, it's under warranty so you can call Lenovo to open a ticket and get a technician to come out and solve your problem with appropriate parts replacements, whatever it might be), it might be that the software is simply deciding not to "charge" because of a battery plan agenda or Registry values set so that no charging is occurring (under software control) even though you've now tried to drain it a bit so that it really should have reached its lower-threshold to reactivate charging.

I recently learned of a Registry hack to set the low/high limits in Win10 to match the customizable values for the Lenovo Win7 Power Manager (which does not exist in Win10).  After installing this REG file Win10 battery charging behavior will work like it does in Win7 with Power Manager, meaning there is your own low threshold value above which no charging occurs but below which charging once again kicks in.  And then charging continues until the upper threshold is reached at which charging stops (thus avoiding charging all the way up to 100%, but stopping below it... say at 96%).  Curiously, Win10 seems to reset the primary parameter values of the REG file whenever a Windows Update is applied (e.g. overnight) or on other unknown circumstances.  So it doesn't hurt to simply run this REG install once a day, just to be sure its intent will be facilitated.

Here is the REG file.  Copy it, save it, and run it.  My limits are low-threshold of 80% and high-threshold of 96%, which you can change as you want.  But the point is to see if applying it has any effect on kick-starting the battery charging back to life, assuming your current charge value is below the low-threshold limit set in this REG.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data]
"ChargeStartControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStopControl"=dword:00000001
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050 ;=80% feel free to change this value. just make sure it same across all 3 sections
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060 ;=96% you can also change this as you wish

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060

;you have to replace last part of this string by your battery serial number
;you can find this number in your registry or in "Lenovo Settings" app - under battery details ("Bar-Code Number")
;example: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\1ZS424BK05M] 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\X1XP5AP025B]
"ChargeStartPercentage"=dword:00000050
"ChargeStopPercentage"=dword:00000060

; Edited by:
; Adam, in-ear.com 
; Headphone Experts 
andrewlg
Punch Card
Views: 1,997
Message 3 of 23

Re: Battery NOT Re-Charging for ThinkPad P71

Probably a dumb question, but are you in Airplane Mode? It sounds like the laptop is receiving some power when turned on, just not enough to charge the battery.
"When I unplug the A/C adaptor and the battery power percentage reduces and after plugging the A/C adaptor back into laptop the battery power percentage does not increase"

goffro89
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,989
Message 4 of 23

Yes I did check ALL options to make sure airplane mode was not turned on.  Called Lenovo customer service twice - no solution.  Took it to one of their authorized repair shops - no solution.  The laptop (only 5 months old) had to be returned to Lenovo for repairs per their request.  Apparently (not yet confirmed) there is a battery and/or a mother-board defect. Thanks for your suggestion though.   

Guru
Views: 1,970
Message 5 of 23

Try to run a live USB of Ubuntu or another Linux distribution. If it's charging there, you can rule out hardware issues the quick way.

Try the following steps too:
1. Remove the battery
2. Boot to the BIOS and clear the CMOS by resetting BIOS to use default settings.
3. Boot to Windows 10 and wait a few minutes.
4. Turn off your machine.
5. Plug-in battery.
6. Boot to Windows 10.

Best regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Looking to buy a new Lenovo product? Find your country below! Discount codes available at request.

Belgium - Canada - Finland - France - Germany - U.S.

Roger_Kaputnik
Punch Card
Views: 1,962
Message 6 of 23

Re: Battery NOT Re-Charging for ThinkPad

It seems that after recent updates - power manager, power driver and BIOS, power manager stopped working properly. Considering that I have few machines to compare - W530s and T450s only ones which hasn't got updates still performing properly. Definitely software issue ( looks like power manager lost administrative rights) - "Apply" button always greyed out, and pressing "OK" after changing battery mode does not actually change anything. If I reopen power manager settings still remain as they were before changes. I am starting power manager directly from PWMUI.EXE with "Run as Administrator" with same lack of success.  In fact, battery capacity shown, also not correct, on screen gauge constantly showing 100% etc. something fishy going on here.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,941
Message 7 of 23

@Roger_Kaputnik wrote:

It seems that after recent updates - power manager, power driver and BIOS, power manager stopped working properly. Considering that I have few machines to compare - W530s and T450s only ones which hasn't got updates still performing properly. Definitely software issue ( looks like power manager lost administrative rights)

Need specifics.

Can you please provide the missing information: what machine are you talking about having "power manager" no longer working properly?  And I assume you're talking about a Win7 situation where Power Manager actually exists, and not a Win10 situation?

Roger_Kaputnik
Punch Card
Views: 1,937
Message 8 of 23

yup, win7 x64. W530 2436 CTO, and 450S...
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,931
Message 9 of 23

What BIOS are you running on your W530?  There was this other thread from back in April regarding the latest 2.70 BIOS update resulting in his W530 seemingly running very hot.  I believe it was either 2.69 or 2.70 which contained the update for Spectre/Meltdown which was supposedly crucial.

But I saw that thread and decided to hold off on updating the BIOS on my own W530 (2438-52U) which was still running very happily with BIOS 2.67.  I normally have no problem letting System Update take care of all suggested critical and important/recommended updates, perhaps only refusing an optional update if I don't use that functionality or hardware.  My Windows Updates and all the rest of my Lenovo software/driver updates are up-to-date, but I was pessismistic about this 2.70 BIOS update.

But I believe I did go ahead and installed the latest Power Management Driver (1.67.14.04) from May and Power Manager (6.68.15) from June, even while sticking with BIOS 2.67.  No problems, and my battery charging is fine.

According to the BIOS Readme, I don't think you can go back further than to 2.69 even if you wanted to, if you've already installed 2.70.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,929
Message 10 of 23

Incidentally, this thread was originally posted for a battery not recharging issue for a ThinkPad P71, not for a W530.  I would suggest you start a separate thread for the W530 if you want to pursue this.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors