cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rst
Paper Tape
Views: 2,676
Message 1 of 10

Battery drains 20%/24h during Windows 10 Hibernate when installing Lenovo Vantage

I have saved a T60p, a T61 and a W510 from scrapping, partly replaced battery, CPU, RAM and changed to a SSD and successfully installed Windows 10 x64 version 1709 onto them. As least the T61 and W510 are now quite useful.

Then I remembered that Thinkpads did have a Power Manager for Windows 7, and found that for Windows 10 Lenovo Vantage from the Windows Store seems to be the best option. Unfortunately, since installing Vantage, after hibernating Windows 10, the battery drains about 20% over 24 hours, and I have not found any explanation for that.

Interestingly, the battery does not drain after hibernating when:

o) I remove and reinsert the battery for a few seconds

o) power on, booting into Ubuntu and doing a shutdown

o) I do a shutdown instead of hibernating

I really would like use Vantage to define a charging threshold from about 40% to 80% to enhance the life of the (new) batteries, but the described significant draining during hibernation is unacceptable.

Does anyone know a solution for this problem (3 different laptops experience the same problem, even when just installing Windows 1709 and Vantage)? Thanks a lot!

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,640
Message 2 of 10

Re: Battery drains 20%/24h during Windows 10 Hibernate when installing Lenovo Vantage

You might look at this other thread, involving a P51 that lost 30% of its battery in a week while supposedly in "shutdown" (not hibernate) state.

The suggestion was to turn off "fast start" in Win10.  Seems to have been helpful for the story in that other thread.

You could try it for yourself and see if it makes a difference in your own "hibernate" situation.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,615
Message 3 of 10

Re: Battery drains 20%/24h during Windows 10 Hibernate when installing Lenovo Vantage

Something else to try, disable "Always On USB" in Vantage -> Hardware Settings -> Power

Rst
Paper Tape
Views: 2,605
Message 4 of 10

Thanks, I've seen that thread, but as one of the first changes I make for a Windows installation is to turn on Hibernate and turn off Fast Start (to show the non-Metro boot menu and always performing full shutdowns).
Rst
Paper Tape
Views: 2,602
Message 5 of 10

Hm, under the Power settings I do have only 3 headlines, "Battery Charge Threshold", "Lenovo Battery Gauge" and "More" (with a link to Windows' Power Control Pane). Lenovo Vantage says its version 4.9.183.0.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,600
Message 6 of 10

@Rst wrote:

Hm, under the Power settings I do have only 3 headlines, "Battery Charge Threshold", "Lenovo Battery Gauge" and "More" (with a link to Windows' Power Control Pane). Lenovo Vantage says its version 4.9.183.0.

I just noticed that you're using Win10 unsupported models.  So I have no idea how Vantage will work on them.  I guess you could check in BIOS Setup to make sure Always-On USB is disabled.  Actually I don't remember if those models support Always-On USB or not, they might not.  I was just mentioning it as one of the common causes for battery drain while the system is turned off.

Rst
Paper Tape
Views: 2,457
Message 7 of 10

I can't tell for sure, but so far it seems related to the settings of "Advanced Power Setting -> Sleep -> Allow wake timers". When having not set "Disable" for the status of "Plugged in", the battery drains. Since I have set it to "Disable" (while not doing other changes), the battery drain is nearly zero (about 1% every few days, but that might be causes by the fingerprint reader or so).

With that change Windows 10 really runs well on a T61 (upgraded to a Samsung SSD and an Intel T9500 CPU) and a W510 (upgraded to a Samsung SSD and an Intel 940XM CPU), despite that Windows 10 is not supported.

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,399
Message 8 of 10

Wait, so uninstalling Vantage will stop the drain?

I experience the same with my Yoga, and I don't need this Vantage, should i just uninstall it?

Rst
Paper Tape
Views: 1,343
Message 9 of 10

Unfortunately I can't really tell. From my observations, different versions of Vantage (or under Windows 7 the Battery application) may behave differently. Also, disabling wake up timers did help me sometimes, sometimes only removing the battery for a few seconds after Hibernate did help. It may also be dependent on the version of the power management driver and windows level. Just too many factors to get a consistent behaviour (in my case 3 Thinkpads that do not always behave the same). It's a kind of trial & error game...

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,260
Message 10 of 10

Iv'e uninstalled any Lenovo related software, i also downgraded the laptop, but the battery still darin 20% when shut off every night. What can the issue be?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors