Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-17-2016

Germany

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 3

Battery life vs. run-time setting - where did it go?

2016-09-17, 22:46 PM

Everyone knows that Li-Io batteriey life span is reduced if they are kept at 100% charge. Lenovo states this for various models and used to have for this particular reason a setting in the power manager for the W series (and several others) where one could adjust the maximum charge level.

After 98 charge cycles, the 100Wh battery of a W540 is down to 37% capacity, leaving it running on battery only for a little over 1:30h. In a previous model or version of the power manager, I could specify whether I want to extend the life of my battery (I work mostly stationary) or whether I need it to charge to 100% as I have a business trip coming up. I'm up to date per Lenovo Sytem Update - but there es no setting to select the maximum charge level in the settings app. Where did that go?

Thanks!

Some quotes from Lenovo:

"Lenovo has included a battery 'Conservation Mode', which prolongs your battery longevity (how long the battery will tend to last before finally needing to be replaced ) by limiting charging to battery to 55% ~ 60% of the battery capacity rather than fully charging it to 100%.  The trade off is that the system will not run as many hours as would otherwise be possible with a 100% charge."

"Keeping your battery charged to 100% all the time may reduce the lifespan of the battery. If you open Energy Management and click on the button beside Optimize for Battery Runtime, you can choose to Optimize for Battery Lifespan.

This will limit the charge to 80% and it will lengthen the lifetime of the battery, although it will reduce the amount of time the laptop will run on each battery charge.  Some versions of the Energy Cut power manager will offer options to Optmize battery lifespan that will limit charge to 50%."

Options

3 Posts

09-17-2016

Germany

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Battery life vs. run-time setting - where did it go?

2016-10-02, 13:54 PM

Bump - No official answer or other idea?

Is this functionality going to be restored with the re-designed Lenovo Settings App?

Are there any alternative options in order to not destroy the battery in use cases with low battery cycle count?

Thanks!

Options

553 Posts

10-03-2011

Canada

2893 Signins

14770 Page Views

• Views: 14770
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Battery life vs. run-time setting - where did it go?

2016-10-02, 20:42 PM

New Lenovo Settings app has this option (under Power, https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/documents/ht104070 ) but it appears to be somewhat unreliable, and sometimes the option disappears (or takes 30+ seconds to appear when in Power tab; at least it's the case with my P70 now).

Try to completely uninstall and then install the app and/or Power Management Driver and/or System Interface Foundation. 

That said, 37% left after just 98 cycles isn't normal, regardless of the charging options configured.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms