Message 1 of 6

Best Way to Backup a Raid hard drive on Windows 7 Pro OS

This is my set-up

Lenovo W520 on factory installed Windows 7 Professional OS

Two 500 GB Internal Hard drive on Raid 1 (factory installed):

NO DVD burner

Have a 2TB External Hard drive partitioned into three -

#1--600GB;  #2-- 600GB;    #3--600+GB

I already created a "Factory recovery disk" from the thinkvantage tool and put it in partition #1

The next step is to create a backup of my system, application and data.

Thinkvantage tools offers 2 options:

1. Windows backup

2. Rescue & Recovery

Question 1:

With the set-up as listed above, what is the best  & most effective way to backup a Raid 1 on Windows 7 Pro OS?

How do you do it? Smiley EmbarassedHow often to backup?Smiley Embarassed (I am just a beginner on RAID)

Question 2:

OR do you use other Back-up/ Imaging software??? Smiley Embarassed(e.g. Acronis,paragon system backup,norton ghost , novabackup, nero backit up)

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,159
Message 2 of 6

Re: Best Way to Backup a Raid hard drive on Windows 7 Pro OS

RAID-1 is mirroring, so in a way you are always backing up your HDD, in real time.  If one of the HDDs fails, you still have 100% of the data on your other HDD.  I guess it is possible that both of your HDDs could fail at once, in which case you will wish you had a backup.  

For Windows 7, I recommend using the "Create System Image" feature of the built-in backup and restore utility.  Then, make sure you create a system repair disc and store it in a safe place, in case it is ever needed to restore a backup.  In addition to this, because you are using RAID, you will need to have the RAID device driver on a memory key somewhere - the repair disc will need it because the RAID driver probably isn't built-in to Win7.

Some people prefer R&R, but I only use it on XP.  For Win7, I use the built-in backup and restore utility - it's quite good.

ZipZap
802.11n
Views: 2,152
Message 3 of 6

Hi, Herb,

RAID is no substitute for backing up your hard drive. For example, if you get a virus it will destroy the data on both RAID drives. In fact, I don't think that RAID 1 has much value for most users. Odds are much higher that you will encounter a software (virus) issue than a sudden disk failure. However, if RAID makes you feel more secure, then by all means.

I recommend getting Acronis True Image Home. It is cheap and it works. It will enable you to take a snapshot of your hard drive and recover with ease.

Acronis

Last thing - I'm guessing your external drive is USB 3 or eSATA? If so, it has the speed you need to run complete backups. I do mine every evening, as I can't afford to lose a whole day's work.

Best, ZZ

P.S. I recommend rotating multiple external drives. I use three and keep one in my car. Yes, external drives can fail/ be stolen, etc.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,145
Message 4 of 6

ZipZap,

you're totally right about RAID not being a substitute for backing up and I didn't intend to suggest that.  Of course backing up is important (whether RAID is used or not) and there are a lot of great options and Acronis is one of them like you mentioned.  Thanks for pointing it out.

ja-fehr
Paper Tape
Views: 736
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I am using RAID 10 on a D20.  I want to restore a system image created a couple of weeks ago to repair a deep Window Update corruption issue, but when I use Windows 7 (64bit with Service Pack 1) Recovery Control Panel option after reboot (or boot from a System Repair DIsk (created this morning)), I get a "System Recovery Options is not compatible" error message.  My backup is on an eSATA drive.

Three years ago, you wrote, "For Windows 7, I recommend using the 'Create System Image' feature of the built-in backup and restore utility.  Then, make sure you create a system repair disc and store it in a safe place, in case it is ever needed to restore a backup.  In addition to this, because you are using RAID, you will need to have the RAID device driver on a memory key somewhere - the repair disc will need it because the RAID driver probably isn't built-in to Win7."

OK.  How does one get past the incompatiblity message that I refered to in the first paragraph?  Should I plug the backup drive into the Intel controller instead of using eSATA?  Finally, how does one tell the system repair operating system where to find the Marvell driver?  My only other option is to reinstall Windows 7 and download many GBs of updates.

Thanks a lot in advance,  -John

ja-fehr
Paper Tape
Views: 709
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

For the record, I was able to resolve the deep Windows Update corruption (after threading through many Windows forums), so I no longer need to perform a system restore.  However, it would be nice to know the trick to successfully run a Windows 7 System Image recovery with a RAID 10 array.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with a Windows System Image recovery, below is a photo of the Windows recovery error dialog...

DSC00912 - 3201 x 1742.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors