Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkGardiner
Paper Tape
Views: 778
Message 1 of 10

Bios options for SSD on W530

Hi, I’m trying to replace the Hard drive in my W530 with a 2 Tb SSD drive (crucial MX500). The current HDD is configured as a dynamic drive with a system, recovery & 3 other NTFS partitions. I have tried copying the disk  and using the “migrate OS to SSD/HD” options in the MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro 10.3 program, however, when I swap out the old Drive & try booting from the new one, the bios doesn’t see the drive as bootable , although it identifies the drive model & if I run the Storage diagnostic utilities , no errors are found. Can you suggest what the problem could be, please? - Do I need to change a bios option / what option(s) should I look at?

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 740
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bios options for SSD on W530

The partition must be marked as active in disk manager.  

What is the boot order in BIOS?  What OS?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lulagreen81
What's DOS?
Views: 715
Message 3 of 10

It's better to convert dynamic disk to basic disk first, and then migrate system again. After the migration is done, it's better to insert or connect the SSD only (take out HDD). 

MarkGardiner
Paper Tape
Views: 705
Message 4 of 10

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting.

The OS is Windows 10 & the Hard drive is configured as the first device in the boot list. When you say the partition needs to be marked as active in disk manager- how do I do that ? / Is it possible to do so immediately after copying the drive while the System is running on the old hard drive & the SSD is connected via USB ? I can’t get into the OS when I try to boot off the SSD.

Thanks again.

SeniorGuru
Views: 687
Message 5 of 10

Run Partition Wizard's standalone boot media version, and then use it to make the new "System Reserved" on your SSD as the active partition.  I agree that it should be "basic disk", not "dynamic disk", but to be honest I don't have any experience regarding this particular issue.

Also, I only use Macrium Reflect (free or non-free) to "clone" with 100% success.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 679
Message 6 of 10

You can mark active while booted to the original disk

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 640
Message 7 of 10

I can't speak about using Partition Wizard to perform the tasks related to cloning all the partitions on one drive (e.g. HDD spinner) to another (e.g. SSD), and in particular cloning the drive containing all the boot-related partitions.  I've never used PW for this purpose so I don't know what it does or does not do.  I only use PW to delete/create/resize/move/label partitions as well as to perform surface analysis on HDD spinners.

But I can speak with great experience regarding Macrium Reflect.  And it does EVERYTHING required automatically.

Using this product I have never had to manually do anything extra as far as marking the System Reserved (i.e. where Boot Manager lives) as "active".  This is, as you'd expect, performed automatically if the source partition is marked "active" then the target partition (out of the "clone/copy" is also created marked "active".  That's the whole point, to automatically and without any manual intervention "clone" everything on a source drive onto a target drive, perhaps re-sizing the output partitions if you need to or want to. The goal is to instantly and without any extra steps end up with an exact duplicate of the source device on the new target device, so that when finished you can simply go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence to now immediately boot from the device you specified as the output of the clone process.  That's all you should need to do.

And once you confirm you're booting from the new device you can use PW to delete all partitions from the original drive and create one or more new "data" partitions, thus re-purposing what was formerly your boot drive/partitions into a new "data" drive.

I suspect if there is some issue in this story it more likely has to do with "dynamic disk" partitions, although if the same structure existed on the original source drive and booting was successful then it must be something tied to using PW to accomplish the copying of all partitions.  I would still urge that Macrium Reflect be used to re-do the "clone" as I simply trust and respect that product fully for this function.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 619
Message 8 of 10

Hello,

I am not sure if this still applies, but I recall that older ThinkPad models worked best with disk cloning software when the new, blank drive was installed into the ThinkPad, and the original, older drive was connected either externally via a USB to SATA/PATA adapater or in a drive tray.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

MarkGardiner
Paper Tape
Views: 568
Message 9 of 10

Thank you so much for the advice - after several more attempts to try copying the drive with Partition Wizard with no luck, I tried the free edition of Macrium Reflect & it worked first time ! As you say, it does everything  ! ... It performs the copy without needing to reboot the machine and runs the bpdboot to make the new drive bootable. 

Thank you again!

SeniorGuru
Views: 555
Message 10 of 10

Excellent news!

Note that when you are now running Windows from SSD you should turn off the normal weekly scheduled "defrag" for any partition(s) on the SSD. This would have been set automatically had you done a from-scratch Windows install to an SSD (as opposed to an install to HDD spinner), but since your original Windows was on HDD spinner and you just cloned it you need to tweak this now yourself manually.

Here's a good article that provides some tips for how to optimize Win7 for now living on SSD. There's not much to tweak.

With Win10 I'm not sure there's anything to do.  The OS might automatically detect the change in environment and change what it needs to without your intervention.  But it's still appropriate to at least check on the defrag service/schedule for your SSD partitions in order to stop that process from occurring.  No need for it on SSD, and it saves wear and tear and increases lifetime of the drive.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors