Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Louis2010
Paper Tape
Views: 777
Message 1 of 6

Bios update crash, one long beep and two small ones

Hello,

I have W500. I have just updated my Bios and while my computer crashed updating. I waiting for half hour with no hope, so I forced it off then on.Now it is not booting. It gives a blackscreen and three beeps, one is long and two are short. I read the code and it says it is either system failure, LCD, or DIMM. So I am of course assuming it is system failure.

Based on this forum, i tried these methods and none has worked,

1- Draining the static: taking off battery and power cable, and hitting power button.

2- Taking off DIMM and putting it back,

3- Taking of hard drive and putting it back.

What are my other options ?

Is ther any way that I can reflash my bios ?

I am off warrently, so is the motherboard gone ?

Many thanks,

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 759
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bios update crash, one long beep and two small ones

you probably need to use an aftermarket service to reflash the bios on a chipset level.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Louis2010
Paper Tape
Views: 724
Message 3 of 6

Thank you,

Do you think going with the reflash approach or get a new motherboard is better ? 

Your input is very appreciated,

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 714
Message 4 of 6

reflash is cheaper. The motherboard you get on the net are mostly from old machines or refurbed, in which case their mileage and reliability is unknown. You know how you use your laptop, so you should decide how you want to approach this problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Louis2010
Paper Tape
Views: 686
Message 5 of 6

Hello,

By searching the internet, I found some posts about booting from a USB and reflash the BIOS. What do you think about this ?

Also, I didn't really understand what you meant by services that reflash the bios, do you mean I physically take/send the laptop to these people or it is some type of software ?

Many thanks,

denial
Punch Card
Views: 654
Message 6 of 6

i destroyed bios some years ago on my desktop computer, but its 'bootblock' was still present, so i was able to reflash it from the floppy disk (all with only black screen).

once i destroyed it that also the bootblock was gone, so i tried another method: i removed the bios chip from that computer, booted another computer, removed also its bios chip while powered on (pc was running normally further) and put in the chip with damaged bios and reflashed it with some utility i cannot remember now its name.

as i believe on your laptop the bios chip is directly soldered to the mainboard, you cannot remove it.

so the only thing (if you have already no valid warranty?) to try yourself is the first 'method'.

i think lenovo uses phoenix bios, so you should find some info how to flash it from usb/floppy for that brand.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/326954-case-you-kill-your-phoenix-bios-bios-recovery-met...

i would just like to say my friend broke bios also during update (made in plain DOS), but on asus laptop (don't know now which vendor they use for bios), but he tried many methods of recovery flash from usb key, floppy usb drive, and nothing worked.

then he tried the RMA and they replaced the mainboard... what fixed the main problem, but computer was freezing, so now recently they replaced it i think third time and now it seems to be solved completely.

for anyone else - unless you have dual bios (i didn't hear any such laptop about) or still valid warranty - better do NOT update your BIOS (even if you check its version history and there is nothing significant what do you really need).

it is good to check before warranty expires if you have latest bios version and update eventually then, but later the risk is much higher.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors