Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anaxymander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,700
Message 1 of 7

Blurry fonts ThinkPad P71

Hello there,

Subject blurry fonts it is all over the net. Unfortunately, there is no satisfying answer to that issue. I'm working with Rhino 5, Fusion 360, ZBrush on Windows 10 Pro and I couldn't resolve this problem and achieve 100% visual functionality which I have on lower resolution screens or on mac system with the same resolution. I find out also that the newest drivers for my P71 are already 3 and 6 months old. I don't really know where a problem is buried but I wish someone resolve it!

For now, I have a very expensive "car without wheels".

If anyone has any suggestion please share with me.

• Processor : Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6

Operating System : Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64

Display : 17.3" 4K (3840x2160), anti-glare, IPS

Memory : 64GB) DDR4 

Graphic Card : NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Graphic Card : Intel(R) HD Graphics P630

• Capture.JPG
  • Capture001.JPG
otheos
802.11n
Views: 4,673
Message 2 of 7

Re: Blurry fonts ThinkPad P71

This is a Windows issue with HiDPI scaling (or rather lack thereof). Check if the fonts are all clear when you set the scaling to 100% and then see how bad it gets as you scale up to whatever you feel comfortable to look at, in terms of size. 

Some software has great HiDPI scaling and it looks nice and crisp. Other, though, looks like crap. You can choose how much windows tries to scale it by selecting the executable, right click-> properties->compatibility and see if enabling/disabling the "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" and chose between Application/System/System Enhanced. Maybe this will make things better. 

I hope this helps.

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
SeniorGuru
Views: 4,676
Message 3 of 7

Try BIOS setting "discrete graphics", just to see if it makes a difference?  You're running "hybrid" as evidenced by both Intel and nVidia GPUs showing up in Device Manager.

In "hybrid" graphics mode (designed for improved battery life when running portable) the Intel GPU and driver are in charge of the laptop screen, with nVidia assigned external display responsibilities as well as kicked-in for various laptop screen high-performance needs.  If you use "discrete graphics" then the Intel GPU is disabled and nVidia has responsibility 100%, for external displays as well as laptop screen.

There may be a rendering issue between the two graphics drivers, so that if you go all-nVidia it could make a difference.

Give it a try.  If you normally run plugged into wall power anyway, why even involve the Intel graphics at all?  You paid a fortune for that P5000 so why not get its benefit 100%, including on the laptop screen?

otheos
802.11n
Views: 4,660
Message 4 of 7

Anaxymander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,638
Message 5 of 7

Thank you so much for your help!

First of all, I jumped to another level of my relationship with P71 after I changed BIOS and set discrete graphics on. The difference in colors, a contrast was so big that I almost couldn't believe that was the same laptop. That also helped a little with an application which I mentioned before. 

Real solution and I hope final was that little app XPEWindows10_DPI_FIX which you give me the link to it. That solve all problems. Now I can enjoy fully without any compromises!!!

Thank you one more time!

All the best!

Anaxymander
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,637
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for the suggestion about changing BIOS settings. You made my screen shine :-).

All the best!

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,616
Message 7 of 7

Excellent!  Glad to have helped.

My first Lenovo Thinkpad was a W530 back in 2013 (which I still have and use), that had an nVidia K1000m GPU.  And the BIOS supported "discrete" graphics as well as "Optimus mode" (really equivalent to "hybrid" on the newer Thinkpad BIOS).  After experimenting with Optimus mode (the delivered BIOS default) and never really being able to get the graphics performance I expected I tried "discrete".  I virtually never run on battery for any significant period of time so extended battery lifetime was of no importance to me anyway.

And, as with your reported P71 experience, the difference really was night and day. Colors, brightness/contrast, clarity, everything improved dramatically when using the nVidia GPU for the laptop screen as a result of "discrete".  For some strange reason, Lenovo eliminated the "discrete" BIOS option with the W540 and W541 and only provided "Optimus mode", despite user unhappiness and complaints.  They finally gave in to customer requests when bringing out the P50/P70 generation of Thinkpad, and reinstated "discrete" in the BIOS.

So I've been using and recommending "discrete" ever since my W530 days.  I actually never considered a W540/W541 after hearing from users that "discrete" had disappeared.  But hearing that the P50/P70 was once again going to have "discrete", finally in 2016 I implemented my long overdue upgrade plan and bought a P70 with M3000M graphics, instantly setting the BIOS to "discrete".  I have no use for Intel HD Graphics.  I paid for the M3000M so why not benefit from it as much as possible?

Anyway, I'm glad you're now finally getting what you expected from your P71 laptop screen.

As far as that other "DPI fix" solution (which is kind of a generalized alternative overall solution to the equivalent alternative "compatibility" selective app method of disabling Windows DPI scaling on high resolution screens which has been around since the days of Win8), I think it may have more applicability to high-resolution screens like your 4K.

Whereas my own personal experience with this "blurry font" problem was specific to Win8/8.1 on all non-4K screen sizes (where I always used 125% font size), I have not had to do the same thing with Win10.  I thought I'd read that MS had finally figured things out with Win10 and that the "blurry font" DPI scaling problems with Win 8/8.1 had been resolved.  Again, I don't have any 4K screens so I've never used any font size larger than 125%, and I've never had any occurrences of the "blurry font" symptom on any Win10 laptop or desktop machine I've worked with no matter the physical size of the screen.  So I had been operating under the impression that MS genuinely had fixed things, but maybe it's only at no larger DPI than 125%.

Since the discussions for Win10 suggest the problem still does exist, with 4K screens and/or DPI sizes larger than 125%, I won't dispute your secondary "solution" which really corrected the last bit of problem for your P71/4K situation.  I just have never found the need to use the "compatibility" approach fix on any non-4K/125% Win10 that I had really been forced to use for each affected app in several Win8/8.1 setups with FHD screens.

Anyway, glad you got everything parked away now and can really enjoy the P71 beast you have.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors