Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ojciec
Punch Card
Views: 246
Message 1 of 7

Boot manager can't see disks after latest BIOS upgrade on P50

Hello,

I've updated BIOS via System Update tab in Lenovo Vantage on my P50. BIOS updated without any problems (after 1-2 minutes laptop rebooted itself, as always when BIOS update), however there was no Embedded Controller upgrade after initial BIOS upgrade (usually there is one, i have no idea if it may be cause, just mentioning it).

Boot manager can't see now any disks or boot from USB drive (however - it is shown in boot manager list). All 3 disks including 2xM2 in RAID are visible from BIOS, they are just not listed by boot manager.

Is there anything i can do myself?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 236
Message 2 of 7

Re: Boot manager can't see disks after latest BIOS upgrade on P50

Check the Startup tab in the BIOS, note the current settings, and then try setting it to the following.

UEFI/Legacy:   Both

UEFI/Legacy Boot Priority:  Legacy

F10 to save and exit

You can also press F9 while in the BIOS to load setup defaults.

Good Luck,

ojciec
Punch Card
Views: 219
Message 3 of 7

UEFI only option is locked. Restoring default setting didn't help also.

Disks are visible in diagnostics splash screen, but they are still not visible in boot manager.

I've managed to boot from external optical drive.

Eltrija
Paper Tape
Views: 206
Message 4 of 7

I've the same issue after installing suggested bios update today.

Those settings provided above did not work for me. My laptop is unusable Smiley Sad

This is actually a second time that it has happend after bios update. Last time it was few months ago also after suggested bios update.

Computer: Lenovo Legion Y520.

ojciec
Punch Card
Views: 192
Message 5 of 7

I've downgraded BIOS from 1.50 one by one down to 1.46 and there are no differences. Drives are visible in diagnostics/RAID configuration menu, but they are not visible in Boot Manager. I am out of ideas.

Shame, Lenovo. I know, that all electronics can break sometimes, but just this is funny, that my 1,5 year old P50 is broken without good reason, and my trusty T420 is still fully functional (good thing, that i did not sold this laptop when i bought P50)...

Eltrija
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 6 of 7

It seems that I've found a solution that worked for me:

In bios I've changed following options:

- Configuration / Sata Controller Mode: from Intel RST Premium to AHCI - as it was previously set to this value and it changed after bios update.

- Security / Secure Boot: from Disabled to Enabled - it was also previously set to this value and it seems biod update changed it.

I remember that during last bios update, I had exactly the same issue, and also Intel RST Premium was set there (I don't remember if secure boot too) and it this issue. 

ojciec
Punch Card
Views: 166
Message 7 of 7

I've managed to switch to "legacy mode" when i turned off RAID setup. However it is bit unfortunate, i had RAID0 set for my two M2 SSD. How can i keep my RAID config and stay in legacy mode for disks? I suspect, that i can't. So what now? Is there any chance to leave my RAID intact?

When i turn RAID off all 3 disks are visible in boot manager. Also, Intel Boot Agent splash screen is not appearing when RAID is turned on. So, i can asume, that for some reason BIOS update messed with my RAID setup or RAID controller... 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors