cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff1brad
Punch Card
Views: 484
Message 1 of 5

Brand new P72 - Battery Will Not Charge- status "0% available (plugged in, charging)

I received my new P72 a few days ago. It would not power up on just the battery so I plugged in the power supply that came with it (230 Watt) and it started right up. The battery gauge in the taskbar showed "0% available (plugged in, charging)".  It was like that for the next day and a half while I continued setting it up with everything from the old P70. The P72 was attached to AC for over 24 hours by that time.

I eventually got to Lenovo Vantage and followed some leads in the forum about resetting the battery status to more accurately reflect the status.  I initiated the 'Battery Gauge Reset' from Lenovo Vantage and this screenshot (I manually added the text from the taskbar icon in the black rectangle to the screenshot...)  didn't change for four hours. I hit the red 'Stop' button and continued scanning the forum.

Battery Guage Reset.png
I disconnected the battery and reconnected it with no change to the "
0% available (plugged in, charging)" for a few hours. I thought that the connection 'seated' a little better but I'm not sure. I unchecked the "Airplane Power Mode" selections in Lenovo Vantage (hint from the forum). No change.  Then I disabled the "Battery Charge Threshold" setting. No change.  I added a second 'power plan' (High performance) to the 'Balanced' plan and selected the new one (can only run on AC anyway). No Change.

I had already applied all Windows (Windows Pro 1809) and Lenovo updates.  Lenovo Vantage had found and installed these updates:
Lenovo P72 Updates.PNGI could not find a firmware update for this particular battery/ThinkPad.  There was one in 2016 but nothing since and that one does not list the P series ThinkPad.

I then disconnected the battery and powered up only on AC power. The P72 recognized that there was no battery and seemed to run just fine for about an hour before I reconnected the battery and powered up. The taskbar battery icon showed the same status, "0% available (plugged in, charging)". I opened Lenovo Vantage and noticed an additional "Power Status" at the top of the section. The "Battery Gauge Reset" piece is still further down in the section and still showed the same status as in the screenshot above.  The new section has new text "Your battery gauge is currently being reset. Do not disconnect the AC adapter until the reset is complete.":

Battery Guage Reset 2.png
The P72 does see the battery and says its condition is 'Good'.  It has been over 6 hours and the taskbar still shows the status
"0% available (plugged in, charging)".

Any help would be appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 460
Message 2 of 5

Re: Brand new P72 - Battery Will Not Charge- status "0% available (plugged in, charging)

If the battery is "empty", it can take a while.  Since you pulled the battery before the reset was done, I would try to start over.  I would click the stop button again and do a full shutdown. (hold the shift key while you shutdown).  I would start the machine again and start the gauge reset again. I would leave it alone overnight and call support if it hasn't started charging.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jeff1brad
Punch Card
Views: 419
Message 3 of 5

Re: Brand new P72 - Battery Will Not Charge- status "0% available (plugged in, charging)

Thanks Rich.  I set that up last night and it's still running(?) 11 hours later.  Gonna let it go on while I try to reach support. Chat agents seem busy....

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 410
Message 4 of 5

You can try calling.  In U.S.  1-800-426-7378

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jeff1brad
Punch Card
Views: 392
Message 5 of 5

Thanks more Rich.  Hardware support listened with concern and suggested I send the machine in to be repaired.  I asked for a new battery to try before I give up the machine that I spent days (okay, hours) setting up.  It seems hardware support cannot 'send' what is now an 'internal battery'.  They have to install a replacement (internal) battery... even if I had 'on-site' support, a tech would have to come with the battery to install it.  I could order a new battery and replace it myself but the 'hardware support' team could not send a replacement for me to install. I wonder if replacing an 'internal battery' myself would affect the warranty.  I decided not to 'buy' a new battery since I'm only guessing that the current one is the problem.

Then the suggestion was to return the machine for a new one. I was transferred to 'sales' and after a brief problem description and a reference to the support ticket, I asked if I could keep the current machine until I receive the new one.  Yes I could. Nice!  If I thought that was a possibility I would not have bothered asking for a new battery to try.  Now, I'll just have to swap my two drives with the drives in the new machine.  I remain optimistic...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors