cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zoubov
Not applicable
Views: 1,099
Message 1 of 10

Brand new p51 - Choppy videos in Youtube, netflix, etc.

My brand new P51 can't seem to handle something as simple as playing a Youtube or Netflix video on a 1080p external monitor.

Every few seconds, the image freezes for a second while the audio continues. It does so in Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

I have updated all drivers through Lenovo Update Manager to no avail. I have also tried updating directly with drivers downloaded on nVidia's website, without success.

It's not normal for a high-end computer to fail at such a basic task.

Anyone can help?

Geoffk
Not applicable
Views: 1,074
Message 2 of 10

Re: Brand new p51 - Choppy videos in Youtube, netflix, etc.

Just go through a process of elimination until you find the bottleneck. On a P51, it shouldn't be video, CPU or disk, so it's something else. The first thing to check is the Internet connection. Make sure that you have a fast connection that can keep up with your Youtube buffering. Try turning off (temporarily) firewalls or anti-virus software that might be slowing down the stream. Make sure that the browsers are up to date and have no unusual plugins that might be interfering. Check your overall network configuration. Also check to be sure that your Internet provider isn't throttling or slowing the connection. Other good tests are to try playing videos locally and trying to run a USB-Based Linux (like Mint) and see if Youtube runs smoothly from Linux.
Zoubov
Not applicable
Views: 1,050
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your answer.

Playback is fine on the laptop monitor; it's only when directed to an external monitor that it starts lagging, so connection is not the issue.

And it seems to happen locally since when I use Netflix diagnostics tools (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D) i see no skipped frames at all, even thought it's barely watchable on my end, so Netflix does not detect it.

I tried on two different monitors with two different adapters (HDMI-to-DVI and MiniDP-to-DVI) and the result is the same.

I open the window on my laptop monitor and it plays fine, then I drag it to my external monitor where it starts to lag.

Frankly, this is quite frustrating. I did not have this problem on my 6+ years old T420.

Geoffk
Not applicable
Views: 1,028
Message 4 of 10

Ok, it does sound like an internal P51 issue then. The P50 has had quite a lot of HDMI issues, although most have been fixed by BIOS and other updates at this point (See this thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Lenovo-P50-HDMI-not-working/td-p/2264525 ). Since your P51 i still under warranty, you might want to have a Lenovo technician see the issue and try to resolve it for you.
Zoubov
Not applicable
Views: 925
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for your answer.

I tried various solutions for about a month but playback is still far from smooth on external monitors.

I spent an hour chatting with a NVidia rep to try various software tweaks, to no avail.

I might indeed have to get in touch with Lenovo Support.

Asdfqw
Not applicable
Views: 902
Message 6 of 10

I read a previous thread some time ago where these types of video issues were caused by the computer constantly switching between the Intel GPU and the nVidia GPU. The solution was to disable the Intel GPU completely from the BIOS. Perhaps give that a try and see if it helps.

Zoubov
Not applicable
Views: 860
Message 7 of 10

Brand new p51 - Choppy videos in Youtube, netflix + Inexistant support in Canada

The issue still is not fixed.

I sent my computer to the repair center with the MiniDP-to-DVI adapter so they could replicate the issue. They never sent me back my adapter. Their "repairs" did not do anything, plus my 2200$ computer still can't play a netflix video on an external monitor.

I'm trying to escalate this issue through the Support Portal, but it seems to be impossible in Canada.

It's also impossible to chat with anybody.

I opened another ticket asking for my stolen adapter back and for the refund procedure, only to have it closed internally with no responses whatsoever.

This has to be the worst customer service I ever encountered.

5thduke
Not applicable
Views: 815
Message 8 of 10

Re: Brand new p51 - Choppy videos in Youtube, netflix + Inexistant support in Canada

not the answere you want but,i personaly think using the thunderbolt port is the best way to run a external monitor on the new thinkpads (just my personal xp)you will need an adapter though not many TB equiped monotors around..

jdrodrig
Not applicable
Views: 801
Message 9 of 10

Re: Brand new p51 - Choppy videos in Youtube, netflix + Inexistant support in Canada

I am not at expert, but try in the Intel HD settings, on power options, to see if it is in max performance while plugged in. 

also, if you have the Nvidia GPU activity monitor on teh task bar, does it show activity when you are playing the video? can you select chrome to use Nvidia GPU and see if it replicates the problem? or the opposite force chrome to use the Intel HD and see what happens. 

finally, another bit you might not want to hear, but I have always found worth it to upgrade to onsite service (it is like 20-50 bucks) and you dont have to deal with sending and receiving your workstation.

Zoubov
Not applicable
Views: 779
Message 10 of 10

Thank you.

I will try these when/if I get my computer back. 

I might also upgrade to the onsite plan if it's offered in Montreal.

As for the Thunderbolt suggestion, it might work, but I'm not ready to invest in a costly adapter if I don't know if it will even work.

If there's a HDMI/MiniDP included on the laptop, it should work flawlessly or why bother to include it at all? Plus it's not like I'm doing heavy stuff on these, I'm just trying to watch movies/videos on Netflix/VLC or what have you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors