Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,621
Message 1 of 94

Brandnew Thinkpad P1 with coil-whining like noise

Hi, I just received my new P1 and would love it if there wouldnt be a nasty squeaking/ whining noise when the load increases.

I've tried undervolting, changed the themal paste on both GPU/ CPU but no change so far.

The GPU is a P2000, just in case for later reference.

So  my last hope is here to find someone who has another good Idea how to remove such a noise or what else I could check;

I have several Thinkpads end never any issue so far.

lf all fails I need to order  a replacement.

Beside that: It's a gourgeous machine ;-)

merci in advance for any idea

A

Admin note: 3 threads merged into one to keep conversation the together

Harry_L
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,460
Message 2 of 94

Lenovo Thinkpad P1 screenching noise during Startup and Shut down

Hello,

I am a customer bought a new Thinkpad P1 mobile workstation laptop. It just arrived yesterday, was so new. Suddenly, when I charged it and turned it on, I hear some clear screenching noise from the keyboard or bottom-left region of the laptop. It is not so loud, but I can definitely hear the noise from sitting position. The sound appears as well as I shut down the laptop. I have no idea what the problem is, and I hope it is not a big issue. And I don't think the sound is the normal fan sound which is suppose to be quieter and constent. Everything other than the noise works well and smooth. Does anyone have the similar experience or solution to the screenching noise issue? Please help thank you.

Customer H_L

Harry_L
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,453
Message 3 of 94

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad P1 screenching noise during Startup and Shut down

PS: The sound may not be from the bottom-left region. It comes from the system. In addition, the screenching sound is like scratching a piece of glass but not that loud, and the sound persists during the Windows User Login Screen if you don't login.
alacom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,497
Message 4 of 94

Lenovo P1 LOUD Coil Fan whine

First of all, round of applause to marketing genius behind the new lenovo P1. He knows how to say all the right things to get customers to open their wallets and spend hard earned money, you had me at smaller charger, etc, etc, and the Aston Martin bit was classic. 

However, I am no longer excited about using this machine after recieveing it because its so freaking loud. I work in an open environment and this machine gets so loud that it disctracts EVERYONE working around me. Just opening visual studio and loading a solution causes this machine to whine like blow dryer. What a joke.

Lenovo, if you gonna have to throttle the cpu speed and spin up the fans like a generator why even bother putting these processors in here? I get it, it's thin, its fast and it needs to cool, but I don't recall my W520 disturbing the entire office.

I've had to go back to my desktop while at work. When I am at home and I have no choice but to use this laptop,  even to me alone its disturbing. I bought a laptop cooler for the bottom that has no effect. I am not going to bother with a replacement because they all do this. I've tried disabling the integrated graphics, updating the bios to no avail. I've tried installing speedfan to control the fans, but lenovo's proprietory fans don't show up. I hope this is a software fix, lenovo please fix !

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Harry_L
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,448
Message 5 of 94

I've tested a few more time, and found out that the noise comes from the center of the laptop system., around the SSD. The noise actually appears when the system gets hot, and the noise does sounds like a weird-sounded fan that is not working smoothly. I am considering return or replace my laptop. I hope my experience help some of you people, and please post your opinions and solutions here to help. Thanks a lot.

alacom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,389
Message 6 of 94

Re: Brandnew Thinkpad P1 with coil-whining like noise

I have the same problem. I am not going to open the machine and reapply thermal paste and all that, this is just a defective design. 

Admin note; link removed as result of thread merge

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,473
Message 7 of 94

Re: Lenovo P1 LOUD Coil Fan whine

Same, here. I received 3 P1 / X1 Extreme one after another as successive replacement. From the first one they all had  a nasty noise, what I first thought was coil whining, but it’s rather a electricity crackling/ sizzling sound that drives you crazy if you work in a calm environment. 

So I returned one after another. It’s a shame since otherwise it’s a gorgeous machine. I chalk it up to the first generation and hope they get the noisy issues fixed with the next version. It’s the first time - by the way - that I have ever experienced something like that with Lenovo. So far I have used Lenovo P and T machine for years and never this issue before.

for now I kept the 4th P1 replacement after I did some changes like significantly undervolting it (-170mV) and repasted the GPU, CPU + added some thermal,pads. Now the sound only comes up when a higher load is added like starting a new  pu hungry app. Otherwise it’s more or less silent. 

Hope Lenovo reads here and lives up to their otherwise very good reputation.

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,382
Message 8 of 94

I totally agree, it’s a first generation flaw that needs to be fixed!
Highlighted
Harry_L
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,363
Message 9 of 94

I am sorry to hear that your Thinkpad P1 mobile workstations unfortunately has the coil-whining like noise, and I am also sorry for my newly arrived Thinkpad P1 mobile workstation unfortunately also does the coil-whining like noise -- especially when it gets hot and the fan is not cooling. XD guess there's really an issue.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,381
Message 10 of 94

Hi Harry_L!

Welcome to the community forums.

Thanks for providing all the details. If the sound occurs when the laptop is getting hot, it's the fan that you can hear from the laptop. It is normal for the fan to create sound if the laptop is getting hotter because the spin of the fan will get faster to control the temperature to avoid overheating. If the sound that you hear is a whistling sound from the fan that is normal, if it's a loud rattling sound, that needs to be repaired. If the laptop is still under warranty, we recommend you to reach our Lenovo US Support Team to request for repair at 877-453-6686 or you can schedule a callback from here https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus/callback_us

Regards,

Admin note: link shortener replaced with full link

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors