Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 252
Message 31 of 40

Re: Brandnew Thinkpad P1 with coil-whining like noise

That’s a good question, but it might be the same question as if you buy a bmw 7.  Some buy it cause they want the sheer power and just drive it to its limits and some like the overall package with the comfortable reserves being prepared for the worsts case, for untypical cases.

In my case I mostly appreciate the huge RAM capacity since I usually need a lot (lots of browser tabs + RAM hungry calculations). On the other side I could live with a much lower cpu and GPU since I don’t game on the device nor do I do very CPU hungry tasks like Video Editing etc.

So, in my case I don’t want to take it to the edge on a regular base.

my main goal was to have something similar to my P70 but in a light package.  

So basically all I wanted was a nice, light, quiet Thinkpad ultrabook  with lots of ram and Reserve power to replace my P70 for my daily life. So far it met my expectations  - apart from the crackling noise...which I have now pretty much under control with repasting, undervolting and quiet fan setting as well as limiting the processor power in the windows power settings to 85%. 

Looking forward to the next gen of the P1. It was the same with the X1 Yoga as well, my 2nd gen Laptop was / is a much better machine than the first gen (especially the OLED display) 😉

lenovotv
Punch Card
Views: 244
Message 32 of 40

Will changing the CPU to i5 help to reduce the noise level or it will be similar as my i7-8850H?

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 221
Message 33 of 40

I thought about that myself, but not sure if it really helps. https://www.extremetech.com/computing/210703-intel-core-i5-vs-core-i7-which-processor-should-you-buy  if the TDP is the same, I’m afraid nothing will change 

The same goes for the Graphics card. I believe a noise fan issue is solvable with undervolting + quiet fan setting, whereas the coil whining/ crackling sound issue is a design issue which must be ironed out with the next gen

lenovotv
Punch Card
Views: 211
Message 34 of 40

The Intel® Xeon® E-2176M vPro 6 Core also has the same TDP. So, there is no configuration in the P1 and X1E series that is quiet?

freddellmeister
SCSI Port
Views: 188
Message 35 of 40

lenovotv, there is a "quiet fan setting", why don't you try it?
lenovotv
Punch Card
Views: 169
Message 36 of 40

Where?

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 165
Message 37 of 40

He means the setting in smart settings, Lenovo Vantage as described earlier. 

kayak83
What's DOS?
Views: 92
Message 38 of 40

Definitely not a quiet machine by any means. I haven't tinkered with fan settings and/or undervolting though.

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 71
Message 39 of 40

Can't confirm that anymore. After I undervolted and set the settings proper the machine is running smoothly...

Highlighted
kayak83
What's DOS?
Views: 69
Message 40 of 40

Also undrvolted and adjusted performance settings in the Lenovo app. Running pretty quiet and smooth now. But wow, when you open the Lenovo app the CPU goes full till lol.

Top Kudoed Authors