Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harry_L
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,664
Message 11 of 94

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad P1 screenching noise during Startup and Shut down

Thanks for all the information! I appreciate your help. I really hope my Thinkpad P1 laptop produces the whistling sound with its fan, but the sound is like some sharp needle scratching a piece of glass. It is not so loud, but it's pitch is high and annoying. After listening to it a while, I find myself having a little tinnitus. Anyway, I wish the issue can be fixed soon.

Harry_L

Harry_L
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,619
Message 12 of 94

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad P1 screenching noise during Startup and Shut down

I did lots of research today, and now I know what the problem is. There are lots of problem reported online about the "coil whine" noise caused in laptops, especially 2018 laptops (ultrabooks), build with intel core i7 8th generation Kaby Lake CPU, including Macbook Pro, XPS 13, Asus laptop, Hp Spectre and Thinkpad p1 and x1. This does not mean every laptop with the models listed has the "electricity" sound, but some people have reported their laptops with this problem.

OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,675
Message 13 of 94

Re: Lenovo P1 LOUD Coil Fan whine

Thanks for bringing this issue about noise up... this is a major concern for me, I hate noisy laptops. I was thinking about the P1 for quite some time, but I was not sure about the noise.

Here they say it is a relatively quiet machine: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-Xeon-E-2176M-Quadro-P2000-Max-Q-Workstation-Review....

But then I wonder what's going on if you have four machines noisy, their measurements are either not correct, or they call "relatively quiet" something that is actually not quiet. What do you think about this review below?

System Noise

Our fan noise measurements provide no surprises. By and large, the ThinkPad P1 is a relatively quiet machine (much like its X1 Extreme counterpart), with near-silent idle operation and load averages merely somewhat higher than the X1 Extreme—41.8 dB(A) vs. 36.4 dB(A). It’s notably quieter than both the Precision 5530 and Apple MacBook Pro 15—46.5 db(A) and 46.8 dB(A) under those same conditions—in part thanks to the NVIDIA Max-Q design which helps to regulate thermal development and keep values in balance. Our measurements during Witcher 3 Ultra are still just 39.1 dB(A)—not at all obtrusive and quite a bit lower than the Precision.

However, we do need to mention that while idling after a bit of stress, the fans will regularly rev up to medium RPMs for a few seconds to keep idle temperatures in check. Considering that the machine remains quite warm even after these short bursts of active cooling, it seems like this could have been better handled through the implementation of lengthier cooling sessions to bring temperatures even lower before disengaging the fans. It’s irritating in a quiet environment, but it is possible that Lenovo may be able to correct this later on via a firmware update.

We noticed only very minor electronic/static noise during our time with the P1.

@Wallenberg12
OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,617
Message 14 of 94

Re: Brandnew Thinkpad P1 with coil-whining like noise

Anybody else having an issue with P1 noise?

Nouse is a major issue for me. I cannot use a noisy-hissing machine in meetings, it's simply a no go...

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,650
Message 15 of 94

Hi, o clarify, the noise I mean has nothing to do with fan noise. Usually people refer to fan noise in order to specify if a laptop is considered noisy or not. This is not the case here. The fan action is pretty much ok for such a slim device especially if you undervolting it properly. The noise I’m talking about is a kind of transistor humming combined with a sizzling sound which happens under load. If I’m sitting in a calm environment (eg for programming) then suddenly this crackling / sizzling sound starts if the load picks up (like if you start a new app) and dissipates once the laptop has somehow finished starting all the subprocesses it needs. 

The sound is not very loud but has absolutely no place there - it’s like if you drive a car and expect the typical car noises (engine, wind) and you get some plastic crackling sounds from you Dashboard cause the manufacturing quality is not proper and that causes cracks and others sounds coming from the dashboard when the car moves.

The same here: the sound is the same you hear if you watch a highcapacity  energy source when it unloads- as said a crackling electricity sounds as if the current is routed not properly or maybe some shielding issue for electric wires.

However - I might be picky here, but since I often work in a silent environment for coding it’s a sound I do not want on my laptop other than  fan sounds which are normal.  The sound simply doesn’t belong here like coil whining. And once I notice it - it drills in my brain...

Having said that - if the fans are on you don’t hear it, but that’s of course no solution. The same applies if you turn on music - it of course drowns out the sound. As said the noise is not that loud it just doesn’t belong there. 

Especially not for a machine as expensive as that. 

Its just a pity since otherwise it’s a perfect laptop. So my hope is that Lenovo Orion’s this out with the next generation. 

OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,644
Message 16 of 94

That is even worse than fan noise ... I simply hate those kind of hisses and coil noises. Most of the devices which has it I just replace. In such an expensive device I would not expect it - but maybe it is not related with price.

The alternative I have in mind is the P72, then it is not portable, but everything else would be no-conpromises.

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,640
Message 17 of 94

I have the P70, a wonderful machine, my solid ground so to say. But its pretty heavy so I wanted an everyday-go-to machine for not so heavy loads. And I never had any issue with the P70. But keep in mind the P72 is also a total overhaul. So it might be bound to errrors as well. Lenovo redesigned it. Removed the DVD drive. Processor wise my P70 has a M5000 NVidia - more than enough for today's challenges. So - I would eventually rather go with the P71 - even more they have the same weight. And it might be a bargain as well. So apart from having no DVD anymore , there is no real adavantage unless you need 128 GB RAM...

OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,623
Message 18 of 94

The M5000 is equivalent to which Pascal GTX or Quadro card?

I would only use it for Capture One Pro raw image file editing, and occasional video editing, probably Resolve free version.

I haven't found any P71 with 4K screens on ebay. :-(

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,611
Message 19 of 94

The M 5000 is a Quattro card - roughly comparable to a GTX 1050 I think. As for buying it, you. An get a P71 on the Lenovo Homepage depending on the country you live in

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 1,578
Message 20 of 94

Quadro M5000M has 1536 cuda cores and is performing on average like a GTX1050ti. For certain workloads it will certainly be able to run faster. Probably almost similar performance as P3000. Hence topping it requires at minimum a P52 with P3200 Max-Q Design or P71/72.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors