Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alacom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,011
Message 21 of 94

Re: Lenovo P1 LOUD Coil Fan whine

I am not sure about the others issues but it is definately the FANS that are spinning up really loudly on mine and causing whatever hissing or whining I am talking about. We all work in an open environment that gets totally silent and this is unacceptable for this machine to be cooling off on its own without even doing anything. God forbid I start actually working, I am constantly compiling software and when I do the fans stay on full blast all day. 

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 999
Message 22 of 94

Re: Lenovo P1 LOUD Coil Fan whine

I can confirm that. I have managed to get mine stable at -140mV undervolting, but if I have lots of load the fan is constantly going. It’s not too noisy but compared  to a P52 or P70 it’s pretty loud. If you have more than 2 cores of an i7 under constant load then it might not be the machine you want, or you pick the i5.

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 939
Message 23 of 94

Re: Brandnew Thinkpad P1 with coil-whining like noise

Hi, what CPU and GPU are you guys using? I have been using X1E with i7-8850H for 3 weeks. I may not have coil-whin but I have noisy fan issue even I just browse the internet or checking email. Setting to best battery setting does not help. Considering to return it. I wonder if it is the 1050Ti GPU issue. Considering to get a P1 with P1000 GPU. How many of you use i5-8400H/i7-8750H CPU +P1 but you also have fan noise issue? Maybe not worth for me to exchange for a P1?

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 928
Message 24 of 94

To be transparent and honest I would not expect any systematic difference between X1E or P1. Of course individual variation could exist.

An option to explore is the Lenovo Vantage that have an option for "Thinkpad intelligent dual fan cooling" where you can set it in either high performance or quiet modes.

If you Lenovo Vantage does not have this option, please make sure to install Lenovo Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1zdy29w.txt

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 918
Message 25 of 94

There is no real difference between the P1 and X1 EXTREME, apart from ECC Ram, Xeon Option and Quattro graphics.i had both and as said returned them both.

As for the noise/ noisy fan Issue. I’ve managed to trim my P1 down by undervolting it, setting the power settings processor performance to 80%  and setting it to quiet fans in Lenovo Vantage. Now it’s - apart from the crackling sound- ok for an ultra book. But Lenovo definitely has some work to do here. They should add some cooling vent openings on the side - as the X1 Carbon had once.

Since I’m using it as a desktop replacement together with two big 4K Displays I use it with a cooling tablet where I put the laptop on. So I’m reaching 55 degrees average with lots of windows open, like more than 50 tabs in browser windows and multiple other software like coding environment, slack etc.

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 897
Message 26 of 94

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Any users of  X1E/P1 4K with i5-8400H or i7-8750H?  Do they also have noisy fan issue? Mine has a i7-8850H CPU.

leonderooij
Paper Tape
Views: 892
Message 27 of 94

Hi, I have a P1, xeon, p2000, I definitely don't have the coil whine, but also noticed that the fans start blowing pretty quickly. It's a powerful machine in a compact design and it needs to get rid of the heat, so I'm alright with it. Hope to still be able to tune things at what temperature the fans go on though.

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 867
Message 28 of 94

From the .txt file instruction, I found that I have 1.0.1.248 installed. However, I don't see  "Thinkpad intelligent dual fan cooling" inside Lenovo Vintage. Where is it? Is there a screenshot?

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 852
Message 29 of 94

It’s under smart settings in Hardware settings.

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 840
Message 30 of 94

Got it. Thanks.

If I turn off the Intelligent Cooling, I can choose between performance and cool&quiet. 

I have changed some settings including setting the Performance in Bios to balance and run the laptop at best battery mode. What is the point of buying a high performance laptop when I do all sorts of things to lower the performance to keep it quiet?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors