Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OliverK1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,386
Message 41 of 94

Re: Brandnew Thinkpad P1 with coil-whining like noise

And afer undervolting and cooling performance changes, how is the performance of the P1 in everyday use, browsing, Word and Excel, watching movies, Outlook?

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 1,380
Message 42 of 94

I often work in a silent room at night so the fans noise is a problem.

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,375
Message 43 of 94

The performance is great even with undervolting. I have plenty of apps open and use databases with a lot of resource needs for calculations. No problems...

kayak83
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,365
Message 44 of 94

A couple neat tricks you can achieve using Throttlestop. I've undervolted and set a custom turbo speed per core in different profiles. The biggest difference I've seen is when plugged in, I set SpeedShift to 32 (or 64), which allows the CPU to run so much faster than default without much heat/noise difference. I find AutoCAD responds to clock speed, especially with this 4k screen, so it's important to have the CPU performing. On battery, I set SpeedShift to 128 along with my undervolt and it's silent on day to day use. Writing this right now in battery profile and it's 33C and silent. 

Setting ThrottleStop to automatically start in Windows Startup or Login is simple. Set up via Task Scheduler inside Windows. 

*I have the i7 8850H*

Undervolt settings (24/7):

CPU Core & CPU Cache (they must match): -136.7 mV

Profile 1 (AC - plugged in): This is when I'm in SketchUp or AutoCAD

SpeedShift enabled: 32

Turbo Ratio Limits *I'm still playing with these, depending on the application's multi-core use*

- 1 Core Active: 44

- 2 Cores Acrive: 40

- 3 Cores Active: 40

- 4 Cores Active: 38

- 5 Cores Active: 36

- 6 Cores Active:  36

Profile 2 (battery):

SpeedShift enabled: 128 (256 is a bit too slow for what I think the battery beneft would be)

Turbo Ratio Limits

- 1 Core Active: 37

- 2 Cores Acrive: 37

- 3 Cores Active: 33

- 4 Cores Active: 33

- 5 Cores Active: 33

- 6 Cores Active: 33

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,361
Message 45 of 94

I'm having pretty much the same setting ;-)

xtu.png

TheRealHydrogen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,223
Message 46 of 94

Wallenberg12,

Would you please share which model(s) and processor configuration(s) you returned when referring to "I had both and as said returned them both"?

Also, can you please share what your current P1 is (processor?)

Lastly, can you please share which cooling pad you use?

Thanks!

@Wallenberg12 wrote:

There is no real difference between the P1 and X1 EXTREME, apart from ECC Ram, Xeon Option and Quattro graphics.i had both and as said returned them both.

As for the noise/ noisy fan Issue. I’ve managed to trim my P1 down by undervolting it, setting the power settings processor performance to 80%  and setting it to quiet fans in Lenovo Vantage. Now it’s - apart from the crackling sound- ok for an ultra book. But Lenovo definitely has some work to do here. They should add some cooling vent openings on the side - as the X1 Carbon had once.

Since I’m using it as a desktop replacement together with two big 4K Displays I use it with a cooling tablet where I put the laptop on. So I’m reaching 55 degrees average with lots of windows open, like more than 50 tabs in browser windows and multiple other software like coding environment, slack etc.

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,212
Message 47 of 94

Sure, I had both X1 Extreme as well as P1 with an Intel Core i7-8750H Prozessor, p2000 Graphics Card and 64 GB RAM. 

The same config goes for my current model, which I have kept. 

As for the cooling pad> the Klim Cyclone.

hope that helps. 

as said along with reposting and undervolting it now runs silent and smooth. I added the USB-C workdock last week which came out with the P52, since it drives 3 4K Screens. Works great.

TheRealHydrogen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,210
Message 48 of 94

Thank you!  Which display panel did you end up ordering?

Does any aspect of the P series make you believe it’s of any higher quality (say the system board) than the X1E?

I ordered the X1E but am almost regretting not spending $70 more for an equivalent P1.

Wondering if Quadro card drivers will be supported longer than GeForce....

Wallenberg12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,199
Message 49 of 94

I always order full HD panel never 4K since my laptops are mostly hooked up to multiple external displays and when I travel the full HD panel gives me 3 h more battery time. 

Material wise are the P1 and X1 Extreme identical, it’s more important for me to have professional graphics with Quattro since I need it for CAD and resource-hungry calculations. But that’s only me. If you are in gaming, the vantage point is another...I hardly game on this machine. 

TheRealHydrogen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,194
Message 50 of 94

Thank you once again!

Which thermal paste did you use?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors